All Forums
 PowerBook
 Dropped batteries
Author Topic  
Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  13:21:41

I have a PB165, and the battery life on it is about 7 minutes under Solitaire usage. I'm aware that the NiCad 100-series batteries (it is NiCad, right?) have the 'memory' problem. A friend recently told me that this is due to crystal buildup inside the battery due to repeated red/ox reactions. He said that dropping a NiCad battery onto a hard surface can destroy the crystals and let the battery be recharged to, if not full, better capacity.

Has anyone else heard this? Tried it? Am I likely to do more harm than good?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  13:42:18
quote:

Has anyone else heard this? Tried it? Am I likely to do more harm than good?

Probably, try a "conditioning charger" first, if you don't have one, make sure NiCads are COMPLETELY discharged before recharging, to avoid "memory effect". If a NiCad hasn't exceeded its recharge cycle limit, it may just think it only holds a partial charge after repeated shallow dis-recharge cycles.

jt

p.s. just because I think the drop method sounds crazy doesn't mean there can't be any benefits, just never heard of the "method".

btw: NEVER let PB100 or other Lead Acid batteries discharge completely! *gotta dig mine out and charge 'em, probably too late already!*

Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  22:24:03

Well, I dropped it on my table, plugged it in, and the machine booted. Now to let it go for a while to see if it holds any more of a charge.

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  00:09:58
quote:

Well, I dropped it on my table, plugged it in, and the machine booted. Now to let it go for a while to see if it holds any more of a charge.

I found an utterly brilliant site once about battery technology when I was looking for info on fixing my 540's pair... and now I can't find it! It had the best explanation of what causes the memory effect and how to fix it, and had been written by a fellow with a passion for batteries like we have for 68k's :)... The short explanation is that yes, crystals do build up inside some forms of batteries after repeated short discharges/recharges, and this can keep the substances required for the chemical reaction that releases charge all locked up inside the crystals. The theory behind discharging then recharging fully (ie till the battery is almost completely flat) is that the crystals are eroded bit by bit and you'll get closer to a useful charge each time - A well used battery doesn't always quite charge up to the maximum of when it's new.

Normal powerbook discharging won't let the battery go flat enough, and Battery Amnesia will override the auto-sleep or auto-off in a PB to drain the battery a little more - hopefully eating away at the crystals all the more.

All the theory is dud without having it -work-, and it took my two completely dead batteries to 2.5 hours charge maximum. Better than buying new ones!.

I've seen so many arguments too about whether or not batteries even show this effect, but the solution works - in general NiMH suffers from it, NiCad seems to a little less, Lead Acid batteries should be kept fully charged - and you can do pretty much what you like with LiONs.

dana (now I need to go find that battery site again!)

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  07:52:30
You got it a bit wrong: NiMH and NiCad both suffer from the memory effect, but NiMH is meant to be more resistant to its evil clutches...

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  08:02:54
quote:

You got it a bit wrong: NiMH and NiCad both suffer from the memory effect, but NiMH is meant to be more resistant to its evil clutches...

Oh... goodo :D. (still searching for the battery info page. It's like trying to think of an actor's name and just having it on the tip of your tongue... but not quite.

dana

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.