68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 G5 IS HERE!!!!!!!!! SWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEETA!
Author Topic  
thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  14:26:07
Check it out people, the G5 has arrived!

http://www.apple.com/

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  14:39:40
COOL! I love the new cases and I can't wait to get panther and an iSight!!!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:16:33
I give it a week before the Panther Preview shows up all over Hotline.

The thing I'm more interested in is iChat 2.0. Now I finally have a use for my iBot!

------------------
Captain Z - Mobile Operations Commander
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

31 68K Macs Liberated

Visit Captain Z's Starbase of EV StuffGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:17:59
Doesnt everyone want a G5......Jeez it looks snazzy.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:19:41
Strange thing is that the Powermac G4s that are still sellling arnt that much cheaper, which is suprising. Hmm, now if only my parents would win the lottery...

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:21:53
You know I'm actually not so keen on the new case, it's just *too* plain and i really wish it had 2 bays, but the more I think about it it's not that big a deal with firewire 400 and 800 for external stuff, as all my music is on the HD now i don't need a secondd drive just to play CD's so it's only really disc to disc copying which needs 2 drives, and generally you only do that for dubious purposes.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, and it certainly looks like a pro machine, anyway who cares it's whats inside that matters, time to start saving those pennnies, 100 AUD a week for the next 30 weeks!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

bigsadhu

Cayman Island
462 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:40:34
Any hint as to whether the iSight will hook directly into an iPod?

Cheers!
CC

Air Marshall, 605 sQUADRAn

"What Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself." - The Register, 23/8/02Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  16:54:32
quote:

You know I'm actually not so keen on the new case, it's just *too* plain and i really wish it had 2 bays, but the more I think about it it's not that big a deal with firewire 400 and 800 for external stuff, as all my music is on the HD now i don't need a secondd drive just to play CD's so it's only really disc to disc copying which needs 2 drives, and generally you only do that for dubious purposes.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, and it certainly looks like a pro machine, anyway who cares it's whats inside that matters, time to start saving those pennnies, 100 AUD a week for the next 30 weeks!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 Cube

I thought it was plain myself... kinda reminds me of the q9x0 design....

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  17:16:36
Its an iQuadra!

But yeah, I like it. Finally we're ahead of the Wintel bandwagon.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  17:29:19
I thought think that they spent way too much time perfecting the "Wind Tunnel" type design and didnt take in to consideration, more drives. Both hard drive and optical drives. I too think that the case looks a bit plain, I mean come on, they could have at least put an apple logo on the front... Ok that is enough with the rant.

Anyone want to give me $2999 dollars?

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  19:31:57
Yeah. They should've put the 6-color Apple logo on the front!

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  20:09:29
quote:

Any hint as to whether the iSight will hook directly into an iPod?

Man that would be so cool! even if it only worked as a mic it's nice and small easy to carry around.

If not now I see the iPod and iSight coming together in the near future, i seem to recall reports of people being able to use the headphone on their new iPods to record very short sound clips. Slap a colour LCD on the iPod and some more processing power and you've got a bad ass movie camera, dictaphone, contact book, not quite a PDA, tablet or phone but cool none the less.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  20:18:00
I love every single thing about the new G5's!!!

I believe that the new design is not only more sensible than the older "wind tunnel" but it makes a MUCH better use of the enormous amount of venting holes...

I like how their bus speeds are once again exactly half of the processor speed (anyone remember 8 MHz busses on a 16MHz computer???)

I also enjoy the fact that the rear end is NOT horrifically ugly..

I'm not saying that I don't like the rear end of my 7300 as much as the next guy... but the G5 is absolutely beautiful rear and front.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  21:51:02
I actually like the sound of getting a 12" Powerbok along with an iSight, portable communication setup. Or for that matter one of the OS9 bootable G4s, for the sole reason of running OSX, along wiht a nice 17" Flat Screen and an iSight....and all within range of mere mortal purchasers.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...

Edited by - Fedorenko on 23 Jun 2003 22:25:51Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  22:53:02
looks intersting, jury is still out on performance, its kinds expensive compared to a dual P4.

Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  23:50:19
Remember, wehn Apple releases something new and expensive, anything older price goes down. Thats the way Im thinking. There is no way I could afford a G5, but, the rest of apple's wares....

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  02:31:55
quote:

looks intersting, jury is still out on performance, its kinds expensive compared to a dual P4.

It seems they are now aiming to compete with opterons and xeons, by raising the price of the low end they are just from the change in style they are deffinetly making this a power user machine. If you spec out a 4 GHz P4 from Dell or someone the prices are competetive, obviously this is not competing with a box from some no name shop or something you build yourself, if that's yout thing of course you can build one cheaper.

i do find it annoying though that the low end PM is more expensive, however they have dropped the price on the high end significantly. It looks like Apple recon they have a wide range of price points covered, everything from about 900-1000 USD to 3000 in fairly small incriments, the problem is for 12-1400 I would much rather have a low end PM than a high end iMac, I've got a screen thankyou and I would like some upgradability.

Anyway I now know there is not much point in spending a lot on upgrading my Cube, I doubt there will be any upgrades over 1.5 GHz so I'm probably best off getting the 800 as I originally planned and start saving, to be honest though I don't really need a lot more power for the work end of stuff and as long as Panther is faster than Jaguar I don't really care.

--------

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  02:59:46
looks pretty good from what I can make out, more importantly hopefully the earlier powermacs will reduce in price & I can get myself a G4!

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  03:58:28
quote:
I like how their bus speeds are once again exactly half of the processor speed (anyone remember 8 MHz busses on a 16MHz computer???)

No, I don't... Could you give an example?

Anyway, the bus isn't really halp the CPU core speed... The 1 GHz quoted is only the bus to the interconnect ASIC. The memory bus (which is what is traditionally called the main bus, although it isn't reall in the new design) is 200 MHz, or 1/10th of the core speed. Doubly pumped, for an effective frequency of 400 MHz, though.

Still, the specs are nothing less than very impressive. Although I'm kinda disappointed there weren't any PowerBook announcements, the 15" model is now so far behind the times it is laughable. Anyone know when the next Apple media event is scheduled?

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

Kyusaku Natsume
Starting Member

USA
24 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  15:25:49
I'm hoping we might return to the 1:1 CPU/bus ratio again(that died after the Quadra era). Most CPUs spend quite a bit of time just waiting for the rest of the system to give them something to do. I'm betting we could pull out a ton more speed from a CPU that matches the speed of the bus, without making it a single MHz faster. Video cards I suspect are hitting the same factor, as putting one into a faster AGP slot almost always speeds things up. With PCI-X, then PCI Express on the way, even that isn't much of a bottleneck these days.

The main bottleneck left is RAM, which requires a much slower bus than the rest of the system. Also, it seems the G5s may *require* paired RAM sticks(was mentioned somewhere, and Apple Store's base config of 2x256MB rather than 1x512MB which probably would be cheaper), a definate sign memory technology is lagging compared to everything else. Remember the Quadras that used 4-stick sets of 30-pin SIMMs and Powermacs using paired 72-pin?

Otaku, part-time
Liberated Macs: 6 In progress: 11
"Mechanic: Somebody set up us the bomb."Go to Top of Page

JAaron77
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  16:48:27
*drools over new macs*

Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  17:10:21
quote:

I'm hoping we might return to the 1:1 CPU/bus ratio again(that died after the Quadra era).

I wish they had the Bus speed double the processor speed like they did in the 575 and 580....

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  22:43:10
I may have made a mistake today....

HP makes some itanium2 based workstations
http://www.hp.com/workstations/itanium/index.html

the more expensive of these supports up to 24 GB of RAM...

If you get confronted with this morbidly true fact (about how apple didn't really break any barriers ramwise) go with the "it'snot a consumer machine" and "but the machineis so much more expensive" defenses!

tonight I may have accidentally started a growing internet trend...
NOT a good one

Official MLA TourGuide

Edited by - cory5412 on 24 Jun 2003 22:49:17Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  03:11:34
quote:
I'm hoping we might return to the 1:1 CPU/bus ratio again(that died after the Quadra era).

Ain't gonna happen. It's just too difficult to designs PCB's that can sustain such high frequencies. CPUs will be faster for a long time to come.

quote:
Most CPUs spend quite a bit of time just waiting for the rest of the system to give them something to do.

Not really, that's why big cache memories, deep pipelines, speculative processing, branch prediction and pre-fetching were invented.

quote:
I'm betting we could pull out a ton more speed from a CPU that matches the speed of the bus, without making it a single MHz faster.

Of course we could. But the cost would outweigh the gain.

quote:
Video cards I suspect are hitting the same factor, as putting one into a faster AGP slot almost always speeds things up.

Hmm, that's not what I heard... Bet that may have changed with newer cards.

quote:
With PCI-X, then PCI Express on the way, even that isn't much of a bottleneck these days.

Still more of a bottleneck than the memory bus. The memory bus speed is the fastest in the system, after the CPU itself, of course.

quote:
The main bottleneck left is RAM, which requires a much slower bus than the rest of the system.

The main bottleneck is the storage buses and the I/O ports, they are the slowest.

quote:
Also, it seems the G5s may *require* paired RAM sticks(was mentioned somewhere, and Apple Store's base config of 2x256MB rather than 1x512MB which probably would be cheaper), a definate sign memory technology is lagging compared to everything else.

No, a definite sign that the PowerPC has shifted form 32-bit to 64-bit technology.

quote:
Remember the Quadras that used 4-stick sets of 30-pin SIMMs and Powermacs using paired 72-pin?

Yup. Same difference.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  04:48:02
quote:
Also, it seems the G5s may *require* paired RAM sticks(was mentioned somewhere, and Apple Store's base config of 2x256MB rather than 1x512MB which probably would be cheaper), a definate sign memory technology is lagging compared to everything else.

No, a definite sign that the PowerPC has shifted form 32-bit to 64-bit technology.

quote:
Remember the Quadras that used 4-stick sets of 30-pin SIMMs and Powermacs using paired 72-pin?

Yes, this also affects new PCs, i beleive the newer P4's do not require paired memory but suffer badly without it, nForce 2 mobos also reccomened paired memory, although i'm not sure that the difference is as dramatic as it is for the latest P4's

--------

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 29 Jun 2003 :  04:02:46
i love the new cases ... think of the mod potential ... a blue cold cathode tube would look great in the front shining through th mesh

iWant badly ... only problem ... i just priced up a "top spec" model ... ie one with every possible option from the apple store ... the price was jusrt shy of £12k

oh well ... i can always dream

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.