Compact Macs
 I got a Macnitosh Classic for $5!
Author Topic  
NobleArc
Starting Member

Canada
18 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  12:52:39
I went to a thrift shop, Saw one and bought it!
It had nothing with it except for the power cord, (It even said needs Keyboard and mouse right on it,) I think I overpayed but who cares its another mac!

P.S. There was also a Colour Classic G4 someone must of customized there but someone had already put it on 'hold'.

NobleArc,
Macs liberated Macintosh Colour Classic,Powerbook 180,and now a Macintosh Classic!

NobleArc,

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  13:19:49
That's a nice find. I think $5 is an OK price, especially if you really want the Mac and will get lots of enjoyment out of it. Think of all the other things in life that cost $5. Ask yourself if you would trade your Macintosh Classic for any of those items? If the answer is no, then you did not pay too much.

As to the Colour Classic G4, ask about it. Many times, people put "holds" on stuff and never come to pick it up. It might have been sitting there for weeks. Worst thing that can happen is that they will tell you when you can buy if the first person does come and get it.

Enjoy your new Classic.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

NobleArc
Starting Member

Canada
18 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  00:31:25
Ive checked again and the G4 is gone, they said the person came back for it the next day... Drat. B)

Oh well, at least I have a classic!

NobleArc,

Soon I'm getting my parents old Apple //+ to go along with my //c and my macs! YAY!

NobleArc,Go to Top of Page

macclassic
Starting Member

USA
10 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  01:04:17
Congrats on your new Mac Classic!

If I do say so myself, the Mac Classic is my favorite and the Mac that has the most bang for the buck. For a Compact Mac that was an "econo-Mac" it sure has a high ammount of Productivity Potential for a super-low cost. (new it was $999.00 with no HD).

Good luck with your new Mac!

----
Macintosh Classic
2 MB RAM / 40 MB HD
Asante EN/SC Ethernet
Kensington Tilt-N-Swivel
System 6.0.7Go to Top of Page

jjjarmon
Starting Member

USA
7 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  08:25:38
I used to go to thrift stores to collect compact macs.
I found 2 of the first macintosh's serial # 2336 and 5132 (on the logic board) at a thrift store.I had to replace the power transistors
on the analog boards of both machines.One of the machines had a bad 400k Sony drive that wouldn't eject the disks.I took the drive apart and re-lubricated it.Both of my first original macintosh's are now fully restored to working condition.I even obtained 3 external 400k drives and 2 imagewriter1 printers for them.I have the audio tour tape plastic case and the software too.I also obtained 2 Mac 512's,2 Mac Plus's,3 Mac SE's,
1 Mac SE/30,1 Mac Classic and 1 Mac Classic 2 for my compact mac collection.I do admit that I REALLY like the Mac Classic a LOT.
Sadly the thrift stores here won't carry any old computers that have built in monitors or even computer monitors because they have to pay a $15 fee to dispose of them as hazardous waste.Instead of people turning in unwanted old Macs to the thrift stores(Where the compact macs might have a chance to be saved) they will end up for sure in peoples garbage cans.Still at least there is a nice swap meet in my town.I'm sure to find vintage macintoshes there.

Original Macintosh ownerGo to Top of Page

jag
Starting Member

22 Posts
Posted - 14 Aug 2003 :  15:02:12
Readers of my site have seen dozens of my posts re: buying old Macs cheap. Here in Austin you can buy 10-20 Classics on a pallett for $5 as there are hundreds dumped each year along with other 68k Macs. Basically the more students you had in the 80's and 90's in any given city, the more old cheap (often free) 68k Macs are around.

When I worked at goodwill in the late 90's, we had 10-20 68k Macs donated a DAY for 3 years! We had so many we coudln't GIVE them away, simply not enough mac savvy customers who wanted and old slow beast for $5 : )
JAG

http://www.jagshouse.com - the web's oldest classic Mac site, used Mac goodies for sale.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.