All Forums
 Lounge
 ~coxy and the great forum change debate
Author Topic  
Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  09:20:12
I'm just curious, has anyone even asked ~coxy if he even wanted to move the forums? This series of topics flooding the lounge here lately seem to be taking over, but I don't see ~coxy taking much part in the discussion. I'd think that if this was something he really wanted to do, he'd have more input within those threads. Idea's are a fine thing, but it looks more like this is getting pushed on him now and he's too nice to say anything. If I'm wrong, that's great and I'm hopeful of that. It's just that it'd be a shame if this continued and built up an extent of resentment.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out.

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  12:32:47
i spoke to him the other night about it ... AFAIK he dosnet have any other hosting ... so unless anyone has a spare T3 line ... and server ... they want to donate then we are stuck with this one

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2

Edited by - ~tl on 28 Jun 2003 07:44:36Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  13:59:42
I somewhere have a server packed... Maybe my brother would let me keep using it (in trade for letting him use the 7300 on and off)

Now just to get broadband (my problem)

I'm all for the MLA switching! just as long as I can keep my newly recovered 2600+ postcount!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

TheDoctor
Starting Member

29 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  14:09:00
How much bandwidth does the 68mla use?

Homeland Defense Analyst
http://www.inourowndefense.comGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  14:34:29
that's a good question... IIRC it was in excess of a GB/month...

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:24:43
The hostings been pretty good for a while now, if changing forum software means changing to a new host I dont see the point.

Besides what is it everybody is so keen to have on the forums that we don't already?

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

TheDoctor
Starting Member

29 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  15:31:48
Well, if you are looking to switch hosts, a friend of mine is running a hosting service with very reasonable rates.

http://www.midwestmonitor.com/hosting.html

Homeland Defense Analyst

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  23:19:31
If anything maybe if we can somehow get a more reliable backup done more often so if something borks out it's not so bad.

It's not really broken per say, so....

;-) You know the rest.

Great minds...Great minds...Think Different.Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  23:37:58
quote:

Well, if you are looking to switch hosts, a friend of mine is running a hosting service with very reasonable rates.

Yeah, but reasonable rates do not compare to FREE which is what literatureclassics is giving us.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  05:47:34
True enough, and I don't know many other free services which let you run up decent load averages and huge amounts of transfer per month.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  08:36:48
Then we should just stick with literatureclassics. I say that we could let the site go down for at the most a week, to get the new forums all set up. Then we can still have literature classics hosting and the new phpbb forums.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  10:01:19
i dont think literature classics support php and mysql ... thats why we have this problem

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  19:32:04
LiteratureClassics can run whatever they want: they're runing ASP.

Therefore, we run an ASP-based forum.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
Mayor of NuBus City v3.0
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  20:12:59
hehee.... I just found out from dad if I run up a congestion on the whole shared T1 for wireless internet it'll be reduced and/or taken away from us... (per the ISP)

also... I find that it's much more than originally thought and PAF will probably be generally low....

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

TheDoctor
Starting Member

29 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  20:17:15
~coxy, you've got mail.

Homeland Defense Analyst

JAaron77
Starting Member

USA
14 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  20:21:48
quote:

Then we should just stick with literatureclassics. I say that we could let the site go down for at the most a week, to get the new forums all set up. Then we can still have literature classics hosting and the new phpbb forums.

phpbb is great, but it doesn't like to load on my old mac..this forum, the way it is will actually load on a mac IIcx....

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 Jun 2003 :  22:30:06
hehehe... what browser are you using?

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  07:02:28
If anything, the main problem with this forum is it's use of MS Access (I Believe) which is not a database which does good under high load. I read about it and it really eats up CPU time when the load is high. Perhaps the easiest thing to do is to get the database converted to SQL so that performance is better.

I have a Microsoft SQL Server 6.5 License I can send to Literature Classics if they need it. But from what I can tell the site runs from Access.

With SQL we could get better speed and more backup options and less chance things will go wrong. This would work better in the frame of resources that the MLA has.

Coxy, let me know if Literature Classics wants the license if you want to switch to SQL. The Discs have been sitting around for a bit and I don't use them.

But, although earlier I thought it might be cool to go to phpBB or Invision, I think it's not really needed right now.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  07:19:56
Agreed, Balance of Judgement.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  07:37:11
It's probably not our forum causing the problems - it could quite easily be one of the other sites hosted on the server. One server with multiple databases - now that's a problem!

Here's what i think it boils down to. It's not the software, because if we do make a change to phpbb (or any other format) I will bet my right testicle that we experience similar borkouts - especially during the teething period. I think the main problem is that we do not have effective control of the server, and never will have. It's not like ~coxy can reach over reboot the box, and he probably doesn't have enough admin access to be able to set up scripts that will auto backup the data every 30 minutes (minimising lost posts should the server sh*t itself) I realise that there's ways and means of getting around that.... but it's a FREE service - what do we expect!!!!

Now we could all pitch in a dollar or two each, and that would probably pay for a years hosting with someone (possibly) more reliable. But that would mean that either:
1) someone would have to turn the MLA into a legal entity and start taking subscriptions from everyone. Collection of monies is a serious issue, there's a lot of infrastructure required to set that up. It would be a right pain in the arts collecting $2 of various denominations off everyone, so if we made the fee to join a more sensible amount (say $20) then MLA might become a full subscription service where you have to pay before becoming a member - who wants that? How many members do you think we'd lose in one fell swoop? And then there are a lot of kids who are members and they don't necessarily have the means to make online transactions anyway.
2) a few members put together their pennies and pay for hosting for the benifit of the majority who have not paid a cent. Not entirely fair on those who paid to set it up - however if someone want to do it then go ahead......

It breaks down once in a while and we lose some threads and our precious personal post count drops. IT'S FREE, GET OVER IT!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  07:43:47
Agreed, Flash. If we did switch to a service that required us to subscribe, I would definately have to reconsider my membership here as a broke college student, with limited funds. But ah well, that ain't gonna happen, thank god!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  07:49:14
yeah ... i agree ... snitz may not be the best ... but its better than nothing

Orcadian MLA Division

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  13:41:42
if mySQL is freer and uses less server processor time we can convice LitClassics to convert to that and use PHPbb, Ikonboard or other good forums

Ikonboard is a forum that'll do ASP or CGi based and will work basicsally in the same way as with snitz here... I believe that Ikonboard can even use the current database (MS access, MSSQL or MySQL)

IkonBoard also has personal messages, and other more options...

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  14:00:56
Well we have had some bad experiences with posts dissapearing & the forums being offline. The service isn't A1 but it is decent considering it's free.

It sounds like it is worthwhile to keep our eyes peeled in case there is a better deal.

Massive, me no believes me is over 1000 posts & me no believes Me is typing ala JaJa Binks.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  14:13:20
true... I believe that none of us dislike the current forum system, but we know that there are betters (anything but yabb I'd think)

the dillema is finding something that works with the current host (LiteratureClassics) and that works BETTER with our current host...

I believe that we might be able to get a good hosting if we stop borkingout over the domain so much... pop in a .tk and just know that it'll keep itself alive and we can renew it once the year or whatever is over...

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  11:03:25
.tks dont need to be renewed ... as long as you have over 30 visitors every 90 days then it stays active

Orcadian MLA Division

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  20:13:39
that's what I thought... I just couldn't remember the exact details

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

stonent

USA
155 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  20:24:52
Well these forums use ASP which usually indicates IIS. Most of the other forums today use PHP, I use phpbb2 and find it very well supported. You can even get a free account at lycos.co.uk that includes 50mb space with mysql and php support. I run a forum there.

SE 4/2000/FDHD/7.0.1 :)
Q840av - Alive!
Q650 64/2000/A/UX Woot!
SGI Indy R5000SC
2 Sparc Classics, 1 IPC, 1 SS4, 1 SS5
Stonent's Sun Collectors forum ;)Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  20:45:49
If I recall Ikonboard works and looks very similarly to PHPbb2 and supports the use of ASP and Access....
www.ikonboard.com

Ikonboard also supports showing who's celebrating their birthday!!!
UberCOOL!!!

it's just a thought... personally I think it's a good one

yeah... http://pragma.mooo.com/personalforum/

check it out.. my own PHPBB2 forum... (online when I am!)

Official MLA TourGuide

Edited by - cory5412 on 26 Jun 2003 20:48:11Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  04:03:14
I still haven;t heard what is so bad about the current forum software?

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Jun 2003 :  23:06:33
hehehe... personal messages, general reliability, better aesthetics... it's all there

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  00:41:20
quote:

it dies regularly

Orcadian MLA Division

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 Jun 2003 :  06:33:21
quote:

quote:

it dies regularly

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2

That's about it. Plus, it makes Netscape 3 chuck a hissy fit. Other than that, it's ok.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.