All Forums
 Balloon Help
 FileSharing System 7.5 to OSX
Author Topic  
thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  19:28:31
This isn't a really urgent problem or anything, it's just a petty annoyance . I have AppleTalk FileSharing enabled on my iMac runing 10.2.6 and on my LC 580 running System 7.5. I can connect to my LC from my iMac, but my iMac doesn't show up in the Chooser on my LC. Is there any way for my LC to connect to my iMac or has OSX FileSharing become incompatible with older versions?
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  20:22:18
ok, this is what I do with my g4 running 10.2.6 and my 6116cd running 7.6.
First assuming you are doing this through ethernet because your iMac doesnt have serial ports, you need to use a hub/switch. Crossover cables (in my experance) do not work. Plug both of the cables into the computer and both into the hub.

Second turn appletalk and filesharing on, on your iMac.

Next you need to set appletalk (on your LC) to ethernet. Then turn filesharing on, and lastly set TCP/IP to DCHP. Appletalk, Filesharing, and TCP/IP can be accessed under the control panels.

Lastly, on your iMac, go to the menu bar at the top and choose Go, then Connect to Server. It will then proceed to search for other computers connected to your little network.

When it comes up, double click your LC's computer name, and log in. Then your LC's hard drive should mount on your desktop and your good to go. Hope that helps.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Edited by - Christophillis on 22 Jun 2003 20:30:40Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  21:17:50
Actually I have that all set up no prob with a router/switch, it's mounting my iMac's drive on my LC that I would like to do. I was thinking it was either FileSharing or the fact that 7.5 doesn't support HFS+ disks. Basically just wondering why my iMac doesn't show up and my dad's Lombard does.Go to Top of Page
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  21:24:11
Hmm, I dont think it would be the HFS+ thing. Ok, Im stumped then. It has to be your iMac... ::shrugs::

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  23:11:22
it might be the whole hfs+ thing...

maybe you could going in and accessing the iMac's HDD thru HTTP (you'll have to put whatever files you want to move from the imac to the 580 inside the web folder

/library/webserver/documents/ (where library is in the root of iMac's hard drive)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  07:04:51
Yeah, but HTTP only goes one way, the opposite way I want it to go. As far as it just being my iMac, I tend to think it's just OSX. The Lombard running 8.6 with an HFS+ disk works fine, I can see it in the chooser, connect, and copy files to and from it. I'm not sure if starting my iMac in OS9 would let it appear in the chooser, but I can't try it anyway because it's not installed .Go to Top of Page
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  07:59:43
I, too, have had strange experiences trying to share from newer Macs to older ones. IIRC, System 7.5 has a 2 GB limit on partition size, so you might be having issues with that. My PB 190cs (runnign 7.5.3) gets very upset trying to deal with the 27 GB HD on my G4 AGP (running OS 9). And an old LC III (running 7.1) reports anomalous, large, negative files sizes for files on an 8500 (running 8.6). Whether HFS+ or OS X's approach to file sharing is also causing fits is another possibility.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  09:58:53
I'm actually most concerned with the fact that the iMac doesn't even show up in the Chooser. If the LC just couldn't read the hard disk wouldn't the iMac still show up, but tell me there are no readable disks on it? BTW, the Lombard has a 4gig HD and the iMac has a 40gig. Also, since you brought up partitions, is there any utility for 68k Macs (or PPC for that matter) that let's you partition a disk without erasing its contents?Go to Top of Page
G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  13:50:36
quote:
I'm actually most concerned with the fact that the iMac doesn't even show up in the Chooser.

The iMac should appear in Chooser, even if none of the iMac's disks is shareable. One possible solution is to reboot one or both machines -- I think that they will announce themselves on the network at boot time and/or try to find out who is on the network at that time.

Also, check the clock on the LC 580. I have noticed some finicky netowkring/disk mounting strangeness on my LC III when its clock is reset to 1956.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  15:33:13
You need to manually activate Appletalk on your iMac. By Default, OS X shares using AFS over TCP/IP, which your OS 7.5 LC cannot do. OS X is set up with Appletalk not active by default. Go to System Preferences\Network\Built-In Ethernet\Appletalk and click the "Mack AppleTalk Active" checkbox.

Also, you may need to upgrade your AppleShare client on your OS 7.5 LC. AppleShare 3.7.4 runs on OS 7.5.3, and can be downloaded here:
http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html
If you're running MacOS 7.5.0, you'll have to update to 7.5.3, but that's a good update to run.

SE, Classic II, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, IIx, IIfx, LCIII => Q605 (the mega-upgrade)
PB190cs, Duo2300c
PM6100, PM8100, PM8500, Beige G3, 17" G4 iMacGo to Top of Page

thequietman

Canada
127 Posts
Posted - 25 Jun 2003 :  15:51:59
Thanks for the info. I did have Appletalk active on my iMac, so maybe it was the new AppleShare client that I needed. It really doesn't matter now though, since I sold my LC. I'm off to college in the fall and I need to jettison some cargo if you know what I mean. I also needed the money . Thanks for all your help anyway guys.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.