All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Problems with PPP
Author Topic  
pracht

Estonia
66 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  06:13:51
I have a LC 475 with 7.6.1, OT 1.1.1, OT/PPP 1.0, Internet Config 1.3 and I'm having strange problems with setting up dial-up internet connection. When I run iCab (2.9.1) the PPP establishes connection and after that I get -23045 error (the domain name does not exist)

With Claris Emailer I get a basically the same error "Could not resolve domain name"

So something seems to be wrong with DNS. Have I missing some extensions, is something configured wrong or there is a problem with isp?

---------
The Best of the 68k Games:
http://www.hot.ee/macgames/

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  14:15:36
I may not be helping much here, at least not directly.

In my experience this is somewhat similar to the error message I have recieved when I have tried unsuccessfully to connect a computer to the internet.

I believe it to be saying to you, this is not working. It is a message worded in such a way that you think it is being specific, but all it is saying is that the whole process isn't working.

I wish you luck, I have had many miserable hours recieving the message The site you entered does not have a DNS entry,

I believe the message is computer gobbledegook because it can't just say to you, it isn't working sorry I tried but I can't make it work I am unsure as to the specific problem.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  06:31:49
I know what you mean shak - sometimes the process is crapping out and all you get an error message. I got one that said "Critical Memory Shortage - I'm Bailing!" I kid you not, I laughed so hard and even took a screen shot for prosperity.

Getting back to the problem at hand.... first thing I reckon you should do is trash the Internet Config 1.3 application. It doesn't do anything that you can't do manually.

Given that it sounds like the modem is connecting, the problem is most likely in the TCP/IP settings. The TCP/IP control panel should be set to "Connect via PPP" and you need to enter the address of a DNS server into the 'name server' fields. If your ISP doesn't give you and DNS entry (and many of them don't coz PC's seem to not need them as much) then just use any old DNS (203.2.193.124 is a DNS server on this side of the world)

If TCP/IP seems to be set right, then possibly you're just getting errors because of time-outs (it takes 30-60 seconds or more for a modem to dial and connect) If you dial up before you start browsing or emailing, you are less likely to get errors from the applications because they are timing-out while waiting for the modem to connect.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

pracht

Estonia
66 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  03:36:56
The dial-up is working! I guess there were some temporally problems with dial-up provider.

---------
The Best of the 68k Games:
http://www.hot.ee/macgames/Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.