Lounge
 What are your NETWORK setups?
Author Topic  
Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  15:34:56
thought we might get comments and give ideas here to people. Just so everyone knows, I'm a Cisco Certified Network Associate, and run my own small buisness doing home office and small office network work.

By the end of the weekend, I'll have:

~Mac II(or IIfx) with multiple ethernet cards, working as a router and print server.

~G4 (PCI Graphics) running OS X as my "main" system

~PowerMac 9500/132 running Linux PCC (I'm in 2 UNIX/Linux classes)

~PowerMac 8100/100 w/ CD burner(4x burn),2 CD-ROM drives (the original 2x, and an external Pioneer 24x), and my Zip 250.

all networked via Ethernet.

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  15:40:05
Right now all I have networked is my 7500 and my Quadra 840av. Eventually, I want to have my IIci, LC475 and Color Classic networked as well. Hey, how well does the IIfx work as a router, even though I'm assuming it's using all 10bt ethernet cards? What software does it use? I may have just found a great use for mine since I abandoned it.

Also, if anybody has ideas on getting my 68k's to be able to print to my USB -> Parallel Canon MultiTask C545 (other than appletalking the files to the 7500 so it can print them) would be greatly appreciated.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  16:54:27
Right now, I have connected to a Farallon 4-port 10-BASE-T hub:

-Pismo/400 "Fides"

-Performa 580 "Kitty Basket" with an Asante Ethernet card

-LC 475 "Alexandria" with an Asante Ethernet card - this machine is running LocalTalk Bridge, and is connected via PhoneNet to IIci "Phoenix" and a third connector for machines that I need to network to get software, etc. onto them - also hosts a StyleWriter 1200 to be shared by the network (unfortunately, Mac OS X can't print to it... *sigh*)

-Alcatel DSL modem - connects to Fides using PPPoE - now, if only there were some way to do PPPoE authentication on a 68k box! Or I guess I could always get a router for my 'net connection...

Hold on; I just had a thought. We have a network guru in our midst, so I might ask a question:

Is there any way that I can set up a TCP/IP router on Fides (running OS X) so that the other machines can share the connection when Fides is connected to the DSL modem?

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  20:52:35
Off the primary 5=port 100BaseT router, I have:
- Cable Modem
- Power Mac G4/450 DP
- Power Mac G3/350 B&W (my personal favorite)
- iMac/500
- 16 port 10BaseT hub.

Off the 10BaseT hub, I have:
- LaserWriter IIntx (LocalTalk Bridge)
- Quadra 800
- Performa 6118CD (soon to be added)
- Quadra 610 (soon to be added)
- 2x Power Mac 5260/120 (1 added)
- Powerbook 520c/PPC (soon to be added)
- Mac IIfx (soon to be added)

All those soon to be added items are to be added next week or two, when I finally get 3x 10BaseT lines and 1x 100BaseT line run to my room.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  10:17:10
I have an Airport base station that feeds a TiBook, an Ibook, a Pismo, and a Imac DVSE that do not belong to me. The base station is hooked into an 8 port hub that is hooked to a Beige G3, a Rev B Imac, a Quadra 700, a Wallstreet Powerbook, and an HP Pavillion. The last port on the 8 port hub runs to a 5 port hub has cables running off of it for other people to plug into whenever I have a LAN party. There is a Localtalk bridge connected to the 5 port hub that has an LC 3, a Preforma 550, a Preforma 636, and a Powerbook 180. I have a lot more connectors attached to the bridge, but I can not hook up anymore computers becuse I ran out of electrical outlets.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  10:38:57
quote:

........I can not hook up anymore computers becuse I ran out of electrical outlets.

Good point, anubis, a how-to on safely connecting a heavy load (menagerie of equipment) safely in a residential environment might b helpful. I've seen some pretty scary setups. Cookbook for a heavy-duty GFCI/Powercenter (homedepot parts) might prevent fires/shocks/eqpt. damage (surge protection would be separate issue). What does everybody think?

jt: worrywart

btw: I viewed my old MacConnection memory installation (VHS) tape, they ignored crt discharge instructions *sheesh*. I tthought clips for marchie's how-to would have been helpful, maybe how-not-to clips w/the disassembly/cabling/mobo/memory might be good, have to check on the copyright/fair use issues though.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  10:39:22
posting interface is still on crack! 90 seconds-double posting - again!

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 30 Jan 2002 10:41:34Go to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  17:07:51
I know someone who has three power strips plugged into the same outlet, and they all have computers on them. I am guessing that if he ever turns on all of those computers at once, the wire in the wall is going to get pretty hot.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  18:57:06
quote:

I know someone who has three power strips plugged into the same outlet, and they all have computers on them. I am guessing that if he ever turns on all of those computers at once, the wire in the wall is going to get pretty hot.

Only if the fuse/breaker is a mismatch for the wire. It would be better to have one GFCI protected breaker in a breakout box so he doesn't whack the power to a whole house circuit and if he shorts something out the Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt will protect him. There are a lot of tricks to figuring out and safely maximizing the use of existing circuits.
jt

Go to Top of Page

AppleCore
Starting Member

Canada
21 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  19:25:40
My network setup is a serial cable! Coming soon, ethernet!

aka kewlaid
What? You need to write something here???
<END OF TRANSMISSION>Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  21:53:10
When installing RAM or PDS cards, or swapping the logic board, there is no need to discharge the CRT at all. When doing drive swaps, it's a comfort issue. I'll admit that at least half the time when working inside any of my compact Macs, I do NOT discharge the CRT. There's no need. The MOST important thing you can do, is be careful, cautious, and alert.

If you're working w/ the analog board, discharge the CRt, or you're going to kill yourself when disconnecting stuff.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  22:38:33
quote:

When installing RAM or PDS cards, or swapping the logic board, there is no need to discharge the CRT at all. When doing drive swaps, it's a comfort issue. I'll admit that at least half the time when working inside any of my compact Macs, I do NOT discharge the CRT. There's no need. The MOST important thing you can do, is be careful, cautious, and alert.

That's what I always did (made sure somebody else was available to dial 911 too), never made or used a discharge tool and I took the one analog failure I had in for replacement.

Want me to send you the tape for review/vidcapture or send you some quicktime clips that might be useful. I've got the video setup in my 6360 right now and file sizes are ok on the smallest window setting. I can send you a sample if you want.
jt

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  22:42:50
quote:

thought we might get comments and give ideas here to people.

I have my imac 400 doing the dialup (can't quite afford adsl here, and it's still dud anyhows!) and net sharing with OSX's natd. hanging off it are... well... whichever macs I have turned on at any one time :D. usually the 950, 630 webserver, and 605 telnet/ftp machine I setup just cos. I used to have a caching proxy going on my 8100, but that was more a 'see how it works' than anything else... and it worked ok.

A classic II browsing is funny :D

dana

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  07:09:47
I know that Australian power systems can handle up to 2400 watts, thats 8 Quadra 900s running at full capacity (no screens) or 48 LCs with no screens. It's gonna be hard to blow a fuse running only computers...

Anyway, I've got a 950, 575, 7200, 540c and a 5MP printer all on PhoneNET, connecting on Ethernet crossover when I want to transfer something big. By March, I want to get a hub, so my iMac can connect to everything and print too, as well as tranfer files @ 10 Mbps.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  08:39:06
Every time I want to connect 2 of my computers, I just hook them up with an ethernet cable and start sharing. I probably should get a hub, b/c it's a pain to set things up.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  15:49:36
One of the goals I have for the weekend is to map out the 24 port switch.

See, I bought it for $15 or so, and it works great. It's a managed hub, so a sys admin can create seperate networks for seperate sets of ports (say, 1-5 are network A, 6-10 Network B, etc etc).

This switch has had that done to it, and I haven't managed to log into the thing with a terminal programme to reset it, and the little buttons and joystick on the front don't work (I think someone pluged the wrong kind of cable into the DIN 9 serial port and fried the controls).

So, I may or may not ever be able to get all 24 ports to work as the same network, but this weekend Im figureing out which ports talk to what.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  16:13:10
quote:

One of the goals I have for the weekend is to map out the 24 port switch.

See, I bought it for $15 or so, and it works great. It's a managed hub, so a sys admin can create seperate networks for seperate sets of ports (say, 1-5 are network A, 6-10 Network B, etc etc).

Great find! Sounds like fun to reverse engineer and maximize use of the frozen setup. *see footnote.

I'd like your expert opinion: will wiring all the your boxes to the planned location of a hub and manually switching with a short crossover cable and two couplers function as an interim solution. Is there an ethernet version of a null-modem adapter/coupler or can you spec one to fab from radio-shack crap?).

btw: great idea for a thread!
jt

*Do industrial grade switches have fused connections on any of the boards, I remember one instance where a blown fuse where nobody ever thought to look, cuz they didn't expect to find one, was the culprit on a wintel box. Have you checked inside the switch for loose.degraded connections between sub-assemblies, I've never seen inside a switch and I'm curious as.........?

Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 04 Feb 2002 :  17:43:46
To connect/bridge 2 segments of the Switch, all you need is a crossover ethernet cable (which I have, and can make many more of since I have about 800 feet of Cat5 and 150 RJ45 connectors).

And yes, I've thought about the fuse problem and it's one of my next ideas on how to fix it.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Feb 2002 :  06:34:56
quote:

To connect/bridge 2 segments of the Switch, all you need is a crossover ethernet cable (which I have, and can make many more of since I have about 800 feet of Cat5 and 150 RJ45 connectors).

And yes, I've thought about the fuse problem and it's one of my next ideas on how to fix it.

Glad to hear you can work around the setup, a crossover connection to bridge two segments IN THE SAME BOX (!) is just about the most elegant solution/ugliest freakin' patch (new oxymoron required here) in recent memory! LOL, thanks, I needed that.

Figured you'd thought of lookin' for a fuse or "reseating the boards," but decided to ask anyway, assumtions (mine) can be dangerous/ incredibly wasteful of time/effort. *see footnote

Several of the troops have mentioned changing one/running multiple crossover connection(s) until acquiring a hub a/o localtalk bridge. Would running the straights to a hacked *crossover patch panel/coupler/whatever* connection work? Seems like a way to save time/effort/money to be prewired for the anticipated hub purchase.

jt

*Did you look up D.Lancaster's "Debugging" treatise? What a rip! It blew me away to see that he now equates a web hour/library hour. I've been checking around and there seems to have been a huge increase of grass roots networking/info sharing (like 68kMLA) in the past couple of years. Is this accurate or was my prejudice against the web (as opposed to the net, a clear distinction in my mind anyway) getting in the way of finding something that's been here much longer?

http://www.tinaja.com/glib/degub.pdf

Troops, download "Degubbing Secrets". Then print (3 page pdf) copies and tape 'em (with appropriate disk tools floppy copy) to the bottom of each of your macs, it won't be a waste of time/effort/money, trust me!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 05 Feb 2002 06:38:03Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.