All Forums
 Lounge
 star wars
Author Topic  
scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  12:02:27
has anybody ever seen any of the original star wars movies recorded on anything but a VHS tape?

I have never seen any on a shelf in a store or anything, but on eBay i did see some CVDs and LDs. I made some VCDs of the movies myself from my VHS copy.

How about you people?

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  12:11:30
Nope, only VHS.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  12:57:36
Off the top of my head can't say that I have.

You want to send me a vcd?

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  14:48:10
lol, why would you want VCD? so you could play it on your computer/mac/DVD player? Heh, thats what i needed it for.

heh, maybe, dunno. thats a lot of uploading ya know...

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  15:12:29
Yeah well don't sweat it either way.

How did you make a vcd?

shaktiman

os 8.1
os 8.6

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  17:05:05
quote:

Yeah well don't sweat it either way.

How did you make a vcd?

Well 6Mpegs is kinda a lot i think...
well if you really want i can upload them somewhere.
All i did to make them was play the tapes back with a VCR and captured the output with my video card as an MPEG1 file at VCD resolution. I then split the files with TMPGENC and burned! voila!
They came out pretty nice i think. I wanna convert all the worthwhile tapes into VCD now. heh.

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  18:20:08
Well, just for reference, the original "Star Wars" trilogy (in it's original, non-enhanced version) is only available on LaserDisc, as far as digital goes. Lucas has said that he'll never release them on DVD, unless they're the 'new', updated and re-edited versions, with cleaned up picture and computer-generated special effects.
Personally, I don't mind this, but I have several friends who're actively searching for the original LD versions for their Star Wars collections. As far as they're concerned, owning the updated versions would be something akin to paying a ton of money for an 'updated' copy of the Mona Lisa, complete with bling-bling ear-rings and a facelift. Sure, it may be 'better', but somehow the enduring qualities have been leached out. Interesting, no?
Just to go off on a short tangent, one case where a modern re-editing of an older movie really worked was with the recent release of the "Directors Edition" of the first "Star Trek" movie, "The Motion Picture". To make a long (and interesting!) story short, when the movie first came out, it was waaaay behind schedule, and unquestionably unfinished. Director Robert Wise just didn't have the time to really create the movie he wanted the world to see, and as a result, the version of the film that everyone knew and, uh, loved all these years was rather..... sllllloooooowwww.
Anyway, if you haven't seen the 'new' version, do yourself a favor and check it out - it rocks! Really, with a few new scenes, new editing, cleaned-up SFX, and an awesome DVD presentation, it's a totally different and better version of the film.
Okay, that's it.
Later!
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  19:01:03
Woah, the Special Edition Trilogy is on DVD now? WOW! I must've missed that. Well my VCDs are from the original trilogy. The original trilogy box set that was beefed up with THX. heh.
I'd like to get some DVDs though.

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  20:02:42
I'm keeping my un retouched VHS tapes until they pry them out of my cold, dead, fingers.

I like the fact that Han Solo shot first.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  20:50:19
quote:
I'm keeping my un retouched VHS tapes until they pry them out of my cold, dead, fingers. I like the fact that Han Solo shot first.

Good call!
:-)
SpaceBoyGo to Top of Page
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  21:05:41
hehehe... is the trilogy witha 4th tape the special edition?

we have that iThink....

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  23:32:12
I have the trilogy on a boxed vhs set. The originals were on laserdisc (never got into them) and are very expensive I hear. Any movie that changes the story to be politically correct (han solo firing first)isnt worth a shit to me. I would buy the dvd's of the uncut/unedited trilogy once they are released (and they will because lucas is a greedy mofo). the newer movies suck ass and i dont even want them on vhs.

Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  03:10:50
Wow I just knew someone should start a Star Wars thread,

quote:
captured the output with my video card as an MPEG1 file at VCD
resolution.

What is VCD resolution? & what software saves as MPEG1?

quote:
TMPGENC

I want this it'd be usefull, comercial or download? anyhow I'll google for it.

quote:
Well 6Mpegs is kinda a lot i think...
well if you really want i can upload them somewhere.

If you do that'd be great, but I'm not in desperate need so don't feel under pressure to do it & if you don't well I just havn't got what I need yet to do it myself, & it is a thing I plan to do.

quote:
I'm keeping my un retouched VHS tapes until they pry them out of my cold, dead, fingers.

I like the fact that Han Solo shot first.

I don't know this story, or is it a perverse joke?

quote:
Any movie that
changes the story to be politically correct (han solo firing first)isnt worth a shit to me.. the newer movies suck ass and i dont even want them on vhs.

Not to be contentious here, well It took me a little while to like the new batch of Star Wars flicks, but arn't the fashions ludicrusly obvious, Luke has Fairly long messy hair, akin to late seventies(expected him to start discoing at any moment) Whereas the young Mr Vader has a much more fashionable clean cut jobby.

If the new batch of films(Phantom Menace etc) had been made in the early eighties & the previous batch(A New Hope etc) had been made in more recent times then would this reverse the fact as to whether these films suck ass?

I now find things I don't like in both era's, on the plus side I now find things which I like which I never used to like.

Alot of new films may be rubbish & in my own personal opinion the actors now have too much power & choice, but modern films have alot to live up to, indeed they have to live up to this magical new medium that appeared & influenced a lot of young children, they have a tough job.

shaktiman

os 8.1
os 8.6

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  12:16:35
Well... I dunno what VCD resolution is in SECAM, but nobody cares about France anyway....

in NTSC, its 352x240
in PAL, its 352x288

I used the software that came with my video&capture card called Pinnacle Studio.

TMPGENC is a free download for MPEG 1 encoding. You get a free demo for MPEG 2 encoding.

Hope this helps.

Edited by - scchicago on 20 Jun 2003 12:17:25Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  12:53:36
quote:
Well... I dunno what VCD resolution is in SECAM, but nobody cares about France anyway....

in NTSC, its 352x240
in PAL, its 352x288

I used the software that came with my video&capture card called Pinnacle Studio.

TMPGENC is a free download for MPEG 1 encoding. You get a free demo for MPEG 2 encoding.

Hope this helps.

Couldn't ask for more,

Do we have any French members?

shaktiman

os 8.1
os 8.6

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  13:51:06
If the original star wars films were released today instead of 1977 they would be no big deal. But they were released in 1977 and later, a time where nobody did anything like the special effects they used, where space movies were really cheasy or were made to look like they were an unlivable antiseptic sterile environment.

I have to say the acting was a bit cheasy in the trilogy, and the ewoks were a waste put there for the kiddies. But if you were watching star wars in the theater in 1977 when it first aired you knew it was something different and special.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  14:15:02
I just snagged the widescreen collector's edition VHS of episode I for $5 and I'm very happy with it. (I'd have been happier if the 5 frames of 35mm print were of something other than Luke's grandma, but . . . ) It looks a lot better than the full screen version, but that could be wear and tear on my used (rental) tape, of course now I need to find the widescreen version of episode II.

I found a full screen remastered VHS of the original and needed to remind myself it was "high camp" rather than just being unwatchable. When I saw it in the theatres back in the day, it seemed much better . . . oh well! The acting is just dreadful, but it's still a lot of fun.

Gotta find the first three in widescreen format too!

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  20:57:43
widescreen VHS? is that legal?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

scchicago

USA
936 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  12:07:06
I have Star Wars Episode 2 in Widescreen! Heh, its the DVD.

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  12:37:51
i only have the originals on VHS ... actually i had the retouched ones aswell ... hmm where did they go ... i remeber seeing them on widescreen VHS ... it was strange

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  12:40:02
quote:
But they were released in 1977 and later, a time where nobody did anything like the special effects they used, where space movies were really cheasy or were made to look like they were an unlivable antiseptic sterile environment.

the best space film ever is .....

2001 A Space Oddesy ....

its very strange and cool

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  15:43:12
quote:

2001 A Space Oddesy ....

Not a chance . . . strange and cool is right . . . also gorgeous, but not the best of the genre.

I saw it on the big screen as first run . . . but there is no way anybody could even figure out the basics of the plot without reading Clarke's work first. Kubric was vastly overrated as a director, IMHO.

http://www.elstree.co.uk/2001.html

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  20:16:06
quote:

I have Star Wars Episode 2 in Widescreen! Heh, its the DVD.

Lol, so do i! Just a shame that the Dell's 17 incher, or (here i go again...) one of my 1710s isn't widescreen.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 Jun 2003 :  04:25:04
quote:
quote:

2001 A Space Oddesy ....

Not a chance . . . strange and cool is right . . . also gorgeous, but not the best of the genre.

I saw it on the big screen as first run . . . but there is no way anybody could even figure out the basics of
the plot without reading Clarke's work first. Kubric was vastly overrated as a director, IMHO.

http://www.elstree.co.uk/2001.html

jt ™.
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Best is subjective, isnt it?
A film communicates to it's audience & can do this in different ways which is where subjectivity enters.

I think Trash has an excellent point that nobody understood the plot & as a communication medium a film surley should communicate effectivley albeit to a specific target audience perhaps.

My fave film 12 Monkeys was good to my mind because it communicated effectivly but on different levels at the same time.

Watch the film once(12 Monkeys), you get a sci-fi fantasy which is pacey, exciting but the plot is most likely to go straight over your head.
Watch the film a second time, you get a film which is offereing different ideologys which occur at different time periods. You also get the idea that the director is playing with you, switching styles so as to keep you guessing.
Watch the film a third time, remember what happened in the film in the middle & towards the end & only then understand the beggining & also you get to start reading more into the film, that there is some basis in fact from historical references & ideas such as James Cole initials JC is a supposed modern day Jesus Christ?

Weather it's good, bad or just a bunch of gobbledegook it kept me entertained for a few years!

shaktiman

os 8.1
os 8.6

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.