All Forums
 Lounge
 DVD-RAM Drive Here We Come!
Author Topic  
Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  10:53:10
Went to the mac store the other day, had a little convo with the one salesman, and noticed thier DVD-RAM drive that's been sitting there for like a full year. (Was for sale at 199.00) And I said, that thing is still here? And he said, yeah. Make me an offer. So I said, 50 bucks. Sold! I go in on the 25Th, pay 50 bucks and get a very nice Lacie External SCSI DVD-RAM Drive.

It's nice to have such good ties with the local Mac Dealers. They always suprise you. :)

Great minds...Great minds...Think Different.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  11:22:50
Cool! And yes, I'll agree on the fact that it is a Very Good Idea to have a close relationship with a local Mac place.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  11:54:02
For data backup purposes dvd-ram works fine (as long as you can find media for them). Dont expect to make video dvd's with them.

Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  14:38:05
quote:

For data backup purposes dvd-ram works fine (as long as you can find media for them). Dont expect to make video dvd's with them.

Yeh, buy DVD-RAM in bulk while you can.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  17:25:36
DVD-RAM isn't going anywhere. Media is widely available and the industry just released a new set of media and news that the new 4th generation DVD_ROM drives would read single side DVD-RAM discs.

Why do people think it's dying?

It is a widely used backup system because you can re-write it over hundreds of thousands of times. You can do a dialy backup on the same disc for over 200 years.

It's just the SCSI versions that are dying, the new IDE/USB/Firewires are taking over. Check out Lcie's website.

Great minds...Great minds...Think Different.Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  23:09:58
Heck I am still using DAT 2/4GB tapes for long term storage, mu huge lot of quick 120 tapes from ealry 90's are still perfectly working. I have 100's of cdr's with stuff burned on them (mostly pc games and apps)

Sooner or later I will buy a next generation DVD-rw from liteon (once they get their new chipset done).

The BEST and Safest method of backup is probably MO (magnetic optical) media, its encased (media doesnt come out) and its VERY stable.

Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  17:46:12
DVD-RAM is encased as well.

The single sided ones u can take out of the case to use with compatible readers. Double sided ones saty in the case.

For some it's nice cause DVD's won't get as much harm from enviroment as Tapes can. (Mildew, mold dust etc, which can be cleaned off a DVD etc.)

:) To each thier own.

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  20:12:42
Tapes are encased, and kept in a plastic box. They last quite a while (excoded digitally for good error detection).

Normal DVD-r's can get scratched, and probably wont be readable in 30 years.

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  03:11:57
quote:

Tapes are encased, and kept in a plastic box. They last quite a while (excoded digitally for good error detection).

Normal DVD-r's can get scratched, and probably wont be readable in 30 years.

Hey it's 50 bucks, it's worth if for a cool LaCie case

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  05:11:34
DVD-ram IS good for backup, I was refering to dvd-r that isnt a long term storage solution. Different media made for different purposes.

Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  05:48:03
I like my DVD-RAM on my G4 AGP. It is a good medium for backups. I like the fact that I can throw in a DVD-RAM disk, mount it in Finder, see the contents, throw a few more files on the disk, run Disk First Aid to check for problems. I also know that the expected lifespan for tape is far shorter than that of DVD-RM media.

Personally, I don't like tape. I have seen too many instances where "backup" to tape worked, but then, when it was really needed, the "restore" did not. Sometimes tape seems like a WOM (Write-Only Memory). But, that's just my subjective, idiosyncractic, non-scientific experience -- I am sure some of you have successfully read tons of stuff off tapes.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  12:37:36
DVD Error corretion is also 10 times better than cd and/or Tape.

:P

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  21:06:14
hehehe... I wonder if a DVDRAM would work on a 68k... that would be UberCOOL!!!

I have a DVD-R drive but am afraid to use it because anything I burn on it will be completelely out of date within a few weeks... unless I could get myself a camera or something hooked up to the 'book... (mom's MiniDV camera doesn't have firewire port!!!)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  03:43:30
The DVD-Ram drive is going in my 840. So, yes it works in 68k machines, but only the older SCSI ones unless you get the 99 dollar adapter to convert the drive.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.