All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Mac plus start up disk
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  08:50:55
Hello!

This is in response to an original post that went away for some reason.

I have a mac plus that I'm trying to make a start-disk for. I have sys 5 for it, but I'm afraid that if I install that right off the bat, I may not have access to some of my programs that may only run in sys 4.2 so I feel that making a startup disk with 4.2 is a good idea. I just don't know how to do it.

I was asked about the particulars of my system:

Mac Plus total memory 1,024 K
finder 6.0 with 904K
sys 4.2 with 120 K

Ram Cache 32 k turned off (don't know if this is good or not)

I tried fitting sys 4.2 and finder 6.0 from the hd but I only had room for the sys 4.2 file. I guess I need both, right?

I'm trying to bassically clean up the drive by reinitilizing the hd (it's got about 18 yrs of junk on it), but don't want to do that unless I have a good working copy of sys 4.2 which I alread know works with these programs.

I'm also wondering, where one gets the single sided disks (the ones with just the one hole in the upper left hand side. I gues single density?) is this a stupid question?

Thanks for reading and your patience

spyswitch

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  09:14:46
quote:
I tried fitting sys 4.2 and finder 6.0 from the hd but I only had room for the sys 4.2 file. I guess I need both, right?
Yes, you need both. I would bet that your System file has a bunch of extra fonts and desk accessories installed in it. You can use a little application called Font D/A Mover to remove the excess baggage.

Copy the System file to the floppy. Then use Font D/A mover to remove extras stuff. Just be sure to edit the System file copy on the floppy, not the one on the HD. Once the floppy copy of the System is trimmed down, then you can copy Finder and other apps onto the floppy.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  09:32:27
Use a piece of tape to cover the left hand hole on a floppy disk (the right one is to lock the disk), reformat it and voila you have a single sided floppy

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedic

left hole, right hole - I guess it depends which way you're looking at the disk. i'm looking from the topside

Edited by - flash on 19 Jun 2003 09:36:23Go to Top of Page

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  13:29:21
Yep!

That worked like a champ!!!

You guys ROCK!!!!

Thanks again!

-spyswitch

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.