Lounge
 Another Liberation
Author Topic  
Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  11:28:24
Today, I got the chance to cruise around scouting out places to find Macs. I was able to stop off at the Selden Thrift Shop (Middle Country Road, Selden, NY), and I found a Performa 6118CD for $25. Although it isn't 68K, I am pretty happy with the purchase.

It looks to me like there is 2 32MB SIMMs inside, but I can't tell until I get the adapter cable for that monitor port on the back. It also has the 2x Tray loading CD-ROM and 500MB HD.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper
68K Macintosh Liberation Army

17 68K Macs Liberated

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  11:51:24

Good find!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  13:29:24
I also scouted a thrift shop in Bay Shore, a town roughly 10 miles from me. I'll try thier on Thursday, and find another one by Friday.

(Edit: Bad Spelling )
------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs Liberated

Edited by - Captain Z on 29 Jan 2002 13:31:08Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  13:44:10
Don't forget to spread the 68k propaganda as you sift through the thrift! Course, the little old ladies buying vintage clothes will probably think you're derranged, but being publicy recognized as insane does nothing if not improve moral character.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  14:04:36
quote:

being publicy recognized as insane does nothing if not improve moral character.

significant increases in personal elbow-room have bee......

jt
=8-}

Go to Top of Page

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  16:44:57
Actually, this indirectly raises a point that I meant to bring up at some point:

The purpose of the MLA is to preserve old Macs from the shame of disuse, the ignominy of the thrift shop shelf, and the torture of the landfill and recycling plant. Thus far, we have officially confined our operations to 68k Macs, but many of the first- (and even some second-) generation Power Macs are becoming old enough that they are starting to be in danger of these same fates.

Perhaps we should consider including some of these newer, but no less worthy, Macs in our operations... just something to consider.

Your thoughts and opinions on this matter are most welcome.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  17:22:39
quote:

Perhaps we should consider including some of these newer, but no less worthy, Macs in our operations... just something to consider.

Your thoughts and opinions on this matter are most welcome.

I made a half-joke/half-serious posting in the website forum a couple of weeks ago:

NuBus PPC: Upgrade path to 68k Computing

No response, but I'm still game.
jt

p.s. I haven't got a single one and I kind of liked some of those machines, do any of them make better Linux boxes than 68k's? My 6360 doesn't fit the profile, but it seems to be regarded as one of the better Linux candidates, I've always liked to keep options open.

p.s.s. Would we opening a pandoras box, what with the rif-raf who wouldn't keep out of the 68k forum at macaddict.

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  19:00:33
If you want to make your own "Power Macintosh x1xx series Liberation Army" go ahead.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  12:18:38

Wow... x1xx is getting rather specific.
I wonder if I should champion a lost cause and start an Apple III liberation army?

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  13:22:09
I swapped a couple of components into my Quadra 610 so I could check them out.It turns out that they were 2x 8MB memory modules, instead of 32MB's. Oh well.

The other part is the 540MB HD. Every time I start the drive up as the startup drive, I get a Sad Mac error (code 0000000F 00007FFF ). If I start it up as a secondary drive (external 100MB boot drive with Mac OS 7.6.1), the drive shows with everything looking fine.

Norton Utilities reported corruption in the Master Directory Block and Volume Directory structures. After repairing again, I tried to start up off it, but still no go. I figure that the drive file structures arew shot, so I will back up what I can and reformat the drive. There are a sigifigant number of programs on it, along with a copy of System 7.5.5.

When I can, I will try and get my 2GB SCSI drive from my G3 into there, and make it into an external services setup (MP3 player, AIM, ICQ, IRC, Web Surfing) to work with my G3 as my primary system (Web Design, Graphic Design, Web Surfing, Gaming)

BTW, I call dibs on the Pre-G3 Mac Liberation Army (PG3MLA)!

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  13:52:36
quote:
BTW, I call dibs on the Pre-G3 Mac Liberation Army (PG3MLA)!

Hey, that has a nice ring to it!

In all seriousness, I really don't think there's a need for a PPC MLA just yet. Many, many people still use pre-G3 PPC's, they still fetch decent prices on the open market, and people are less likely to throw them in the trash then they are 68k's. Although it's not impossible, it is also very difficult to find even G1's in thrift stores and the like.

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  14:20:42
quote:

In all seriousness, I really don't think there's a need for a PPC MLA just yet. Many, many people still use pre-G3 PPC's, they still fetch decent prices on the open market, and people are less likely to throw them in the trash then they are 68k's. Although it's not impossible, it is also very difficult to find even G1's in thrift stores and the like.

There are some rescues a-happening however... One of the bargains I came across was a 6100/66, 2 Q605's, 2 14" trinitrons, a dec monitor and 3 sun workstations for $45AUS. the 6100 could have gone for that price alone - but even then it's not an expensive machine.

6100AV's however, do seem to fetch far higher prices - despite the base machine plus card both being awfully cheap here. People are odd :)

dana (people are odd, and computers suck)

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  14:22:39
quote:

quote:

In all seriousness, I really don't think there's a need for a PPC MLA just yet.

There are some rescues a-happening however... One of the bargains I came across was a 6100/66...

Just so's my loyalty isn't questioned - I would much rather have rounded out the ones I have with an 840AV =D

dana

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  14:31:20
Dana, knowing your luck, I wouldn't be surprised if you stumbled upon a beige G3 at a thrift store!

666th poster to the

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  15:38:23
quote:

Dana, knowing your luck, I wouldn't be surprised if you stumbled upon a beige G3 at a thrift store!

Nah... that could never happen... but the $15 G4 quicksilver was a nice pickup...

just kidding :D

I do have some more freebies I have to find a use for.
an Apple "Macintosh Display Card" from 89/90
a Radius Mac II Two Page Display card
an Apple "High Resolution Display Video Card" from 88/89
a "Workstation/Portrait Video Card" from 87/88/89 with a db15 connector
another of the above with a 13W3 connector - along with a double ended 13w3 cable.

Now to get the monitors that go with them all, and plug every one into the 950. muaha!

dana (I should onsell some of this stuff but... I just want it all)

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  06:52:24
You can give some to your CO...

Anyway:
1) This thread should have been posted in 68k Conquests
2) We're not against PPCs, it's just that this army is aimed at 68ks. You can get Power Macs as well, as I have before.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Captain Z
Mobile Ops Commander

USA
637 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:03:10
~Coxy: The reason I did not post this in 68K Conquests is because the system in question is not 68K. It technicly does not fit there.

------------------
Captain Z - Sniper

17 68K Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:40:45
So sorry, you are right indeed.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.