Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Grounding wire on a Mac Plus
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  16:31:17
Hey! I opened up my mac plus to push some compressed air through it. You know, to get about 18 years of dust and grime out of it.

Lo and behold I noticed that grounding wire wasn't connected. It doesn't look like it ever was for that matter. Is this normal? If not, does anyone know where it hooks up to?

Thanks!

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  16:58:49
Which wire and where in the case is it? Is there an obvious place to hook it up? If you are talking about the AC ground from the power cord, is there any chance the ground is being passed through a case connection?

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  17:41:41
Hey sorry,

I guess I should have been more specific.

It's in the AC plug housing. It's the third pole (the one that isn't parallel to the other). The green lead is soldered to that third pole, and I guess the lead is about an inch and a half long. It has a loop terminal at the other end that isn't connected to anything (the kind that you sould pass a bolt or screw through that would fasten to a tab of metal and therefore, ground

....(after about a five minute pause)Ok, I'm back, I found a tab of metal sticking up that's got a nut and bolt fastened to it but it's doesn't seemed to be for any specific purpose. It's sitting right next to two purple capacitor type looking things. It's the only logical place where it would go. Now there is something connected on the bottom of that tab, but I have no idea what it could be.

....(another five minutes) OK, I think I found it. That tab of metal has something to connected to it already. It doesn't seem logical that quality control would have fastened that nut to that bolt without out connecting the grounding wire first. It the nut was floating around inside the case, OK, but it was deliberately fastened WITHOUT the grounding wire.

Therefore, I have concluded that it actually passes in between another tab of metal that is held by one of the four bolts that fastens the case together. So that when you put the bolt fasteners through it, it passes through that grounding loop terminal. When I opened it up, it must have just come loose. This in fact would ground it to the chasis of the computer which is where I think it HAS to ground. Does this make sense? Can anyone back me up on my logic?

I hate to be long winded about this, but I would hate to go through all this trouble (especially where you're concerned, Emaq123...for all your trouble as well :}) only to blow the darn thing up!!!

Thank you for your patience.

sincerely

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  18:10:29
quote:

Hey sorry,

I guess I should have been more specific.

It's in the AC plug housing. It's the third pole (the one that isn't parallel to the other). The green lead is soldered to that third pole, and I guess the lead is about an inch and a half long. It has a loop terminal at the other end that isn't connected to anything (the kind that you sould pass a bolt or screw through that would fasten to a tab of metal and therefore, ground

....(after about a five minute pause)Ok, I'm back, I found a tab of metal sticking up that's got a nut and bolt fastened to it but it's doesn't seemed to be for any specific purpose. It's sitting right next to two purple capacitor type looking things. It's the only logical place where it would go. Now there is something connected on the bottom of that tab, but I have no idea what it could be.

....(another five minutes) OK, I think I found it. That tab of metal has something to connected to it already. It doesn't seem logical that quality control would have fastened that nut to that bolt without out connecting the grounding wire first. It the nut was floating around inside the case, OK, but it was deliberately fastened WITHOUT the grounding wire.

Therefore, I have concluded that it actually passes in between another tab of metal that is held by one of the four bolts that fastens the case together. So that when you put the bolt fasteners through it, it passes through that grounding loop terminal. When I opened it up, it must have just come loose. This in fact would ground it to the chasis of the computer which is where I think it HAS to ground. Does this make sense? Can anyone back me up on my logic?

I hate to be long winded about this, but I would hate to go through all this trouble (especially where you're concerned, Emaq123...for all your trouble as well :}) only to blow the darn thing up!!!

Thank you for your patience.

Don't worry about it. Asking questions is always better than blowing up gear. Being _very_ specific is always helpful since we never get to see the problem, only read about it.

It sounds like you have got this one figured out. I would look to see if there are any marks where you think the wire goes to indicate that it belongs there. Also old wires tend to bend to where ever they are supposed to go. If you are still not sure and no one else gets you a better answer, I can open up my Plus to check it. I'd also google for the Plus service manual, it should say where that wire goes.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  18:51:10
Great idea Emaq123.

I'll do that. I actually just did, and it looks like it does bend to one of the case fastener holes. I guess it went in there. My only concern is if it actually bend around the metal chasis. If it does, I'm concerened about it being pinched with the case. I'll double check with the service manual and see what it says. Thanks again!!!

Thanks again!

Talk to you later!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 17 Jun 2003 :  23:06:10
quote:
Asking questions is always better than blowing up gear. Being _very_ specific is always helpful since we never get to see the problem, only read about it.

Agreed!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.