68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 old macs for a good cause (right forum this time)
Author Topic  
Macinrock
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  23:09:45
i think i posted this in the wrong forum last time, hope i didn't make anyone mad.

Old macs for a good cause: check out [urlhttp://68k.simplehost.com/macswithcare[/url]

anything and everything helps.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
x mac-core x

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  08:39:22
looks like a good cause. Are you just pointing it out, or is it your site? I ask because I don't know where in the world it was located. If the sender has to pay shipping it would be nice to know where we have to send it.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  10:18:02
Sounds like an excellent cause.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

Macinrock
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  11:11:30
hey, thanks for the encouragement guys.

it's my site, i just put it up. it was an idea that i had, because i've always tinkered around with old macs, so i had a bunch of parts and stuff. so one day, my friend gave me his old lc575. i put a 32 meg simm and a 4.3 gig hard drive and an ethernet card in it, put os8.1 in it, and gave it to the thrift shop a long with a bunch of software i had. it sold in about a week for $250. so i figured that was pretty good, and decided to try to give them lots of macs. old macs get new homes and a new life, the hospital gets more money, and i still get to play around with macs. anyway, if anybody would need my address, just email me at 68kmac@hotpop.com.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-
x mac-core xGo to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  15:17:26
erm.... this sounds a LOT like the scam my friend cooked up. he was going to do this exact thing, and using that pitch but putting posters and signs up all over the city, and then keeping the macs just for him, or selling them, for money, for him.

PS. you could sell some of your macs here! -wink wink-

THnxxx
"I THINK I'M GOING INSANE!!!!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!

Edited by - boredomconquersall on 12 Jun 2003 15:18:34Go to Top of Page

Macinrock
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  15:37:26
well, this definatly isn't a scam. i guess there's not much i can do to prove it, but i'm going to keep a log of what comes in and what systems go out (specs wise).

i'm doing this for a good cause, not for myself.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  15:41:26
quote:

erm.... this sounds a LOT like the scam my friend cooked up. he was going to do this exact thing, and using that pitch but putting posters and signs up all over the city, and then keeping the macs just for him, or selling them, for money, for him.

I'm not passing judgement on Macinrock here but you do have a point. My view on this is: If I decide to pass on a computer that I have, it is my decision. If someone lies to me about the reason for getting it, I would remember that. Most of the systems I would consider donating are not worth much, and I only have $20 - $30 US invested in them so it is not much of a loss to me.

My pet peeve on people asking me for things is not making things easy for me. I'm doing something for you (as a favor, because I'm nice, etc...) and you make me jump through hoops to do it. That is the quickest way to cool my interest in doing something.

Lately, I've been taking excess gear and giving it to local families in my community that can use it. I have far more than I need, and I like to see the hardware used.

Again, none of the above is directed at Macinrock. boredomconquersall just has a fair point.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  16:15:14
Mackinrock to show that you are legit and have genuine good will I suggest:

Put your name and a mailing address on the page.

Put the mailing address and phone number of the thrift shop on the page. (I presume the thrift shop knows that you're doing this.)

After that it should be a simple matter for people interested in donating to verify via the yellow pages that this thrift shop really does exist and to call them and find out that yes, "Jack Mackinrock" really does donate old macs on a regular basis.

You could also offer to have the thrift shop sign a receipt which you can mail back to the original donor upon request.

If you do this, I think that people may feel more comfortable about giving you old, but still useful computers. :)

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  19:24:27
I don't think Macinrock is going to post his/her name and address, and I don't suggest that. The receipt idea is alright, though. I'm interested in this. Could you post your zip code, at least, Macinrock? I'm too lazy to email at the moment -- my school just ended for the year.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  19:36:17
I don't think there's any really loss of privacy by his posting on his webpage his legal name and a mailing adress.

As in "Hi, my name is Jack B. Mackinrock, and this is what i do with old macs yadda yadda yadda. "

Please email me at email@domainname for further information or if you have any questions. You may also contact the thrift store to verify that I am legit.

If you prefer to just surprise me with a mac, the send it to:

Jack Mackinrock
PO Box 9999
Anytown, USA 90120

Or if he knows somebody who will let him do a c/o, that's cool, too.

For instance, I have a lot of things shipped to my husband's business because
(a) there's somebody always there
(b) he has the room for large packages.

Remember "mailing adress" and home address and phone number are 2 very different things. :)

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  19:39:36
Durn no-editing!

I write for a webzine. I have my name in the byline of every article I write.

Having my name and A mailing adress for me has never lead to any unwarranted invasion of privacy.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  20:42:02
I am very lax with my name and nothing bad has come from it iThink...

the problem is... while it is a VERY noble cause and makes many people *VERY* happy... I don't see why people would send their computers to you from *wherever* to give to your thrift store... when if they really wanted to they could drop it off at their own thrift store and get the tax deductible for themselves... (with GoodWill atleast)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Macinrock
Starting Member

USA
13 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  22:09:49
hey guys,

you definatly have valid points and all, but remember this: i'm not asking for anything, except that you look at the page and see if your interested in donating. i've updated the page with my home address and full name, which i'll gladly post here as well:

sean malseed
117 summit ave
willow grove, pa 19090
* and a 68kmla exclusive: 215-659-7434 *

also, the thrift shop does not know about this. they probably remember that i gave them that other computer, but they have no idea that i'm planning on fixing up computers and donating them as often as i can.

and as far as the thrift shop, it's Abby's Thrift Shop (also now on the site) located in Abington, PA, almost right across the street from Abington Memorial Hospital, which is not only the hospital of my birth, but the place that my grandmother gave almost half her life to as a nurse.

If there's anything else you'd like to know, just let me know. I'm not sure if i'm all about giving the thrift shop's phone # out online, cuz i don't want them getting wierd phone calls with people asking if a "sean malseed" gives the computers. i don't want to have to donate under a fake name :-)

anyway, sorry for all the rambling and stuff, but i guess my website didn't have enough info, and i just wanted to clear my name and not have people think i'm trying to cheat them or anything. i think what i'm going to do is take pictures of the machines that i've donated as they're sitting for sale in the thrift shop, cause that'll kinda give you that warm inside feeling knowning that your 4 meg simm that you sent me in a legal envelope is in that computer ::smile::

-sean (aka Macinrock)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  22:30:32
hehehe... that would be a good feeling I guess...

I sometimes feel bad that the old computers I DO give away go to such... (well I wish that that performa 578 had either stayed with me or gone to someone better)

you're talking to one of the most "packy" packrats ever though... ( the trick for me is "not bringing it home" )

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.