Lounge
 Your Ideal desk??
Author Topic  
cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  21:56:50
My ideal desk is about 15 feet wide, 4 feet deep, adjustable height (pnumatic probably) and has a 1.5 foot deep shelf about 3 feet above the main surface.

I liked having a really wide workbench in Wa, but I hated that it was so... "shallow" and I also didn't like not having overhead storage... my other desk was really only big enough for one computer, but had overhead storage...

Kinda.. "combining them"

I feel that a desk should not trap a computer, or hide it, but rather let the computer display it's own beauty... ( I'd probably keep desktops on the shelf above too)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  07:02:25
Mine is 60"w x 31.5"d x 31"h. The keyboard tray is at 26"h This gives me a nice large desktop where my computer isn't crowded. In fact I've found that I can place a second 'visiting' system on the right edge. Since I'm still building my workbenches, this is handy.

You can see it here under computer room / Desk side.jpg

I got rid of that chair last weekend, Yea!

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  18:33:26
My ideal desk is...........a big one.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  20:48:33
hehehe...

is that a "MacDraft" files???

funs funs funs..

I actually like to have multiple desks at differnt points in the room also

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  08:43:41
quote:

hehehe...

is that a "MacDraft" files???

funs funs funs..

I actually like to have multiple desks at differnt points in the room also

I am working on putting desks all around the walls of my computer room. That will give me over 30' over desktop down there. The sad thing is that will not be enough to setup all my systems

I'm not real happy with MacDraft after it toasted my 5300. Version 1.0 should be handled with care. For the record, 1.2 seems to be well mannered.

emaq123

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  10:09:43
I just finished building my desk. It isnt as deep as I would like it to be but it is ok. I havent put it in yet but i am just hoping that there will be enough room to put all my computers on it.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  10:30:52
quote:

I just finished building my desk. It isnt as deep as I would like it to be but it is ok. I havent put it in yet but i am just hoping that there will be enough room to put all my computers on it.

Sounds like it is big. What are the dimensions?

For me, a computer desk needs to be at least 2.5' deep to handle large desktops with a keyboard in front of it. I based my workbenches on a IIfx sitting on them with keyboard and mouse in front. The desk I just built for an iMac needed 27-28" of depth.

emaq123

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  16:42:59
i'd need a separate room for my ideal desk. i'd like to room to actually be a different building with AC and everything to keep it cool. it'd have to have a hub in the middle, too but the desk part would be about 4 1/2' high and it would run all the way around the building. so, it would be more like a bench. that way, i could put all my machines on one desk instead of having to use carts and extra tables and.. the floor!

Go to Top of Page

foetoid

USA
554 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  17:18:32
My ideal desk is the one i have now, it's an L shaped glass desk... It keeps me from trying to have a billion computers in my room... and deters me from buying more computers... wait, that would be me wanting to buy a BMW that is detering me...

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  18:02:24
quote:

quote:

Sounds like it is big. What are the dimensions?

For me, a computer desk needs to be at least 2.5' deep to handle large desktops with a keyboard in front of it. I based my workbenches on a IIfx sitting on them with keyboard and mouse in front. The desk I just built for an iMac needed 27-28" of depth.

It is right around 2 feet deep and about 5 to the corner piece (it is in 3 recombineable pieces, that can be attached in different orders or be used independantly) And the corner piece is about 3 feet to the wall, then there is a 2.5 other piece coming off the other side of the corner piece to form an upside down L. My main monitor is in the crook of the L and I just angle the other monitors and for my duo 2 feet is plenty...
but the reason why I did 2 feet wide was so that I only had to get 1 piece of board.
(it came in 4x8)

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  20:11:48
I remember the computer lab at Cedar River in WA (the school I went to 4th -7th grade at)

it had two large contigous tables, one around the outside just big enough for the Dell OptiPlexes and QuietKey keyboards, although MUCh plentiful for the LCs and 12" monitors... and in the middle there was an elevated area large enough for 3-4 computers, the main hubs and a projector... at the front of the room to the left was an outside door, to the right was the door connecting it to the library, and in the middle was a projector screen....

while it's not standing level... it would be a pretty good combination if you had loads of similar computers... in the corners the table was pretty deep... so that's where printers went.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.