All Forums
 Lounge
 Mac-man6 back in the USSR!
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  03:44:04
Well not really by a long shot. But I'm in a internet cafe in Budapest Hungary. Europe is nucking futs!, this place is great!. The women are gorgeous.

vislat!

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  04:02:00
Cool! Have fun!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  11:55:32
quote:
The women are gorgeous.

damn right ....

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  15:54:22
thats a really good beatles song...

"back in the ussr", that is... i doubt they recorded one called "damn right"

Owner of the Token Worthless Post
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  22:08:55
heh... let's record a song called "damn right"...

we'll go use cinemo's quadra

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  23:33:11
Soon enough Im going to russia for the sake of it, all I need is some cash to get to Sheremtoo.

Go to Top of Page

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  14:37:30
I'm in Brasov Romania right now paying 10000 lei for an hour of internet time. I get 21000 or 23000 for a Canadian dollar!. Although I'm using XP on some Romanian clone. It's nuts here I had a steak, wine and dessert for less than $15 today.

------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  16:12:34
quote:

I'm in Brasov Romania right now paying 10000 lei for an hour of internet time. I get 21000 or 23000 for a Canadian dollar!. Although I'm using XP on some Romanian clone. It's nuts here I had a steak, wine and dessert for less than $15 today.

------------------

How you like d'em apples?!

Cool, what kind of meat did the steak come from? LOL

Whenever you go to some ex-communist country you will notice everything is cheap because people only make a few thousand a year average salary if that. Russia would be cool to visit (I would want to visit the WWII battlefronts and museums) but too many mobsters running things there today, and they just love american tourists.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  19:12:09
quote:

I'm in Brasov Romania right now paying 10000 lei for an hour of internet time. I get 21000 or 23000 for a Canadian dollar!.

How many US$ is that?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  20:34:21
While I was still in the Uk my G/f went travelling around eastern Europe, often paying around 2-3 AUD for 2 course meals! Absynthe is also ridculously cheap in Eastern Europe, cheaper than beer back home!

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  20:42:29
Wow thats good!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  20:47:01
quote:

Whenever you go to some ex-communist country you will notice everything is cheap because people only make a few thousand a year average salary if that.

Moscow has been rated the most expensive city in europe to live in, and in the world rankings is number 2 after Osaka, Japan. The cheapeast to live in is Australia, so it seems.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  20:49:40
quote:

quote:

I'm in Brasov Romania right now paying 10000 lei for an hour of internet time. I get 21000 or 23000 for a Canadian dollar!.

How many US$ is that?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1

In 5th grade I did a report on romania...

1 CAD is about 1.5 or so USD... (iThink)

so that would probably be like... a few cents USD!!! :EEP!!!:

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  02:12:37
quote:

Moscow has been rated the most expensive city in europe to live in, and in the world rankings is number 2 after Osaka, Japan. The cheapeast to live in is Australia, so it seems.

Hmm, so Moscow is part of Europe now? (I mean it might be but I really didn't think so) Anyway Norway is 10x more expensive than most of Europe, obviously it's all different now that the Euro is in mainstream use. Eastern Europe, Czech Republic etc are stupid cheap. France Spain Europe etc are fairly comparable, the UK is a bit more expensive. Eastern Europe is also much cheaper than Australia although Australia is quite cheap compared to the UK, 2.6 AUD to 1 UKP or so.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  02:50:09
http://english.pravda.ru/main/18/87/347/10255_moscow.html

The research is done by Mercer Human Resource Consulting which is used by companies who have employees working abroad. And yes, Western Russia has always been europe, the east is Asia.

Good ideas usually are created by crazy people, go figure...Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  03:41:33
quote:
Hmm, so Moscow is part of Europe now? (I mean it might be but I really didn't think so)

Yes, it is. Always has been. The border between Europe and Asia is the Ural mountains.

quote:
Anyway Norway is 10x more expensive than most of Europe, obviously it's all different now that the Euro is in mainstream use.

Not really. Scandinavia is still expensive compared to the rest op Europe, due to their tax system. It's just a lot more obvious now with the euro.

quote:
Eastern Europe, Czech Republic [...]

That's Central Europe.

quote:
etc are stupid cheap. France Spain Europe etc are fairly comparable, [...]

France and Spain are part of Europe.

I dare you to order a beer on a terrace in central Paris, then tell me their prices are "fairly comparable".

quote:
[...] the UK is a bit more expensive.

The UK is expensive (although that depends on where you are; Scotland is fairly cheap, as are Wales and Northern England) mostly due to an unrealistic exchange rate on the UK pound. The pound has devaluated immensely over the past few decades, and something tells me the British are artificially keeping it higher than it should be now for psychological reasons.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 19 Jun 2003 :  05:43:22
quote:

In 5th grade I did a report on romania...

1 CAD is about 1.5 or so USD... (iThink)

so that would probably be like... a few cents USD!!! :EEP!!!:

Official MLA TourGuide

Eep indeed!

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  14:58:40
What happened to the rest of this topic?, I'm in Sibiu Romania now. Has big brother blessed us with a opportunity that erased the forum replies?, was this direct from the 'ministry of error-free computing'?.

------------------

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  15:13:13
Sorry about that, the PC I'm using is really slow and didnt load the rest of the page. The steak was... really good, you see the cows walking across the roads all the time. For y'all American's dinner for two (mentioned above) with the steak was $14.70 USD, or $1USD is worth 32,631 Romanian Lei. Yeah the wages here suck but there are some very wealthy people, "communist heirs" if you will. Any thing Romanian or dealing with labour is cheaper. So food, drinks, museums and stuff is really cheap. Computers and CD's are not, new american cd's are like $27 Canadian, while they'd be $14 in Canada. But some western stuff is cheaper, like half a litre of Stella Artois beer is less than a Canadian dollar.

Good fun, ttyl

------------------

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  03:21:05
quote:

Yes, it is. Always has been. The border between Europe and Asia is the Ural mountains.

Oh, I always think of Russia as Russia, not really part of Europe or Asia

quote:

quote:
Eastern Europe, Czech Republic

That's Central Europe.

I'm from Scotland, it's east as far as I'm concerned

quote:

quote:
France Spain Europe etc are fairly comparable, [...]

France and Spain are part of Europe.

I never doubted that, either you misread me or I wasn't very clear...

quote:

I dare you to order a beer on a terrace in central Paris, then tell me their prices are "fairly comparable".

The UK is expensive (although that depends on where you are; Scotland is fairly cheap, as are Wales and Northern England) mostly due to an unrealistic exchange rate on the UK pound. The pound has devaluated immensely over the past few decades, and something tells me the British are artificially keeping it higher than it should be now for psychological reasons.

I guess a lot of it also comes down to where you shop, when I was in France everything was quite reasonable. Obviously shopping in the trendy areas of any country is going to be higher than average. For instance London seems really expensive compared to Edinburgh, although as far as the clubs and shops I go to there are concerned it is not that different. The general cost of living is higher throughout though.

--------

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 22 Jun 2003 :  16:41:23
quote:
quote:
quote:
Eastern Europe, Czech Republic
That's Central Europe.
I'm from Scotland, it's east as far as I'm concerned

That doesn't make it "Eastern Europe". Heck, Holland is east from Scotland, would you suggest I live in Eastern Europe? Would it be correct for an Irishman to say that Scotland is in Eastern Europe? Or for a Swede to say that the Hebrides are in Southern Europe?

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.