Balloon Help
 Duo Modem Help!
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  12:59:14
First off this sucks. I am not going to be able to use the internet on my g4 starting soon. I need to be able to connect to the internet through my duo. I set up all the things right( or so i thought). But here is my problem:
1) I dont know which modem to choose in the modem control panel
2)I keep getting this error message when I try any/all of the modems. (yes i went through everyone)
"Connection Attempt Failed: The port may be in use by another application, check for uses of the port, like an extension that recieves faxes or a communications program. Also check the Appletalk control panel to see if Apple talk is set to use the same port being used by the modem control panel."

Now I have the modem control panel set to use the internal modem, but in appletalk there are only two choices. Modem/Printer or Remote only. I tried to connect using every modem in the modem control panel while Remote only was selected.

My Tcp/ip is set to ppp and the server is set to ppp, apple talk is active, but for the love of god, how can I get this thing on the net!

If I cant get any help with within the next week or so, you guys will probably not see me for anywhere from 3-8 weeks.

So please soldiers! Help a comrade out!

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  18:28:46
quote:

1) I dont know which modem to choose in the modem control panel

What other modems are attached

Are you doing dialup or connecting to a DSL or cable modem via a network connection?

Is is in or out of the dock?

To use an external modem, you need to turn off the internal modem in the "Express Modem" control panel, IIRC.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  19:37:45
Well, since I said I was trying to get on the internet through the internal modem, I thought you could assume that I was on modem. So, yeah I unfortunatly am on dial-up.

There are no other modems attached to the computer.
And this one I should have been specific on: it is out of the dock.

--------------------
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  20:43:26
quote:

Well, since I said I was trying to get on the internet through the internal modem, I thought you could assume that I was on modem. So, yeah I unfortunatly am on dial-up.

There are no other modems attached to the computer.
And this one I should have been specific on: it is out of the dock.

That was not clear at all from your post, especially since you were talking about TCP/IP and PPP.

What ISP/software, AOL or the like? If so, turn off Appletalk, and turn the internal modem off in the "Express Modem" control panel, then set or autodetect the internal modem thru your ISP's software setup routines.

jt .

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  07:54:03
Thanks, jt, but I'm on the local dialup. I have never used Aol or the like, but is there any utilities that I could get to find out which modem to use? Also, would re-installing the opentransport stuff, automaticly bring up the default modem? Or mine?

--------------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  12:34:31
quote:

Thanks, jt, but I'm on the local dialup. I have never used Aol or the like, but is there any utilities that I could get to find out which modem to use? Also, would re-installing the opentransport stuff, automaticly bring up the default modem? Or mine?

If you're on dialup, I can't imagine that networking would have anything to do with connecting unless you are somehow trying to use Appletalk Remote Access to make the connection to your ISP? Doesn't your local dialup ISP have its own software client for connecting? If not, somebody else will need to help you on this one, I haven't got the first clue as to what you're trying to do.

edit: It sounds to me like your computer can't use the modem because its I/O port address is configured for something besides the app you're using to make your connection. WHAT THE HECK IS THE APP you are running when you get that "port may be in use" error?

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 09 Jun 2003 12:39:15Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  17:28:51
Lol, Jt. Actually my isp doesnt even support macs. Even for the the pc they dont have any applications to connect to the internet. But I actually dont have any applications running when I try to connect. I am trying to use the apple open transport, and actually i didnt even know that that stuff was networking applications. I thought that it was stuff for internet usage. I actually found out that I will be able to post here, on my step dad's pc. *blech* But it would be nice to get the little duo online. Thanks for trying thought jt. If anyone has gotten their duo online that it would be cool to here how you did it.

--------------------

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 09 Jun 2003 :  19:32:11
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/KnowledgeBase/Docs/20020202101159

http://www.scd.ucar.edu/docs/dialup/ppp/mac/ara.html

http://www.usc.edu/isd/doc/os/mac/consult/OT/About%20Open%20Transport%201.2.html

http://www.usc.edu/isd/doc/os/mac/consult/OT/Open%20Transport%20Technical.html

http://www.i-55.com/mac2/

http://www.ultimatemac.com/#Internet

jt .

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.