All Forums
 68k Conquests
 more yard sale stuff
Author Topic  
Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  19:36:04
today i went to some yard sales looking for the usual.. old computer parts. i think i hit the jackpot today, because there was 6 boxes of parts and an old Gateway for $10. i grabbed all of it, thinking that i'd probably just be getting a bunch of crap.. but in the bottom of a box full of ISA modems (seriously, full. there's about 50 of them) was a Radius Pivot NuBus card! after some more looking, i also found a manual-inject floppy drive, a cache card for a x100 PM, and a Global Village (comm slot II?) modem.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  19:43:03
Nice! What resolutions can the Radius card get?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

KatMac
Starting Member

USA
18 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  22:30:33
quote:

...a Radius Pivot NuBus card! after some more looking, i also found a manual-inject floppy drive, a cache card for a x100 PM, and a Global Village (comm slot II?) modem.

the pivot nubus card might be useful *if* you had a pivot monitor and you wanted to connect it to a Mac II series machine. I don't think it does much for any other kind of monitor. With this setup there is software which lets you pivot on the fly, which looks pretty cool in action.

the x100 cache card will give a noticable boost to any x100 that has none.

the comm slot II modem is the only reliable way to connect a 6200 performa to a phone line at modern baud rates; unfortunately most of the cards were 14.4 or 28.8.

Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  21:12:34
quote:

Nice! What resolutions can the Radius card get?

note sure yet.. my only NuBus machine right now is the Q700, which has no processor.
quote:

the comm slot II modem is the only reliable way to connect a 6200 performa to a phone line at modern baud rates; unfortunately most of the cards were 14.4 or 28.8.

i think it's 28.8. i really don't have a use for it because i've got my internet routed to all my machines with a 56k DHCP server

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  22:35:11
hehehe.... what are the details on that Gateway? they are one of the interesting PC makers to me...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  21:53:50
the gateway's model number is a P5-75. it's one of the huge towers that looks like a server. when i got it, it was basically stripped down to the case, mobo, processor, and a 5 1/4 floppy drive. since then i've put in 32MB RAM, 500MB and a 350MB hard drives, a Pentium 100, and a 4x CDROM. it's sitting on my floor right now, being used as a table for my mouse. i won't have it much longer (hopefully, it's too big) because i'm gonna give it to my girlfriend.

by the way, i've got some new liberations.

just today, me and a friend picked up an Apple IIGS and a Color OneScanner 1200/60 from our school. i haven't tried out either one yet but i'll get around to it sometime. anybody have the driver disk for one of these? it should be called something like OneScanner Dispatch disk.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  22:49:21
WHOAGLAYVEN...

FUNS!!!

the Apple IIgs should plug from the tv port to a TV, and you'll be able to use any mac keyboard on it

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Brett B.

USA
105 Posts
Posted - 11 Jun 2003 :  22:16:20
quote:

WHOAGLAYVEN...

FUNS!!!

ohhhh yeah!

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 12 Jun 2003 :  02:52:26
Yeah, the IIgs has two video ports on it, a DB-15 port to connect to a funky IIgs monitor with some weirdo resolution, and a Composite video connector to plug into an old Apple II display or virtually any TV.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 18 Jun 2003 :  22:33:11
I once was going to get a IIgs to run my country on... I wanted a IIgs because it was capable, maclike and would work on the TV

I was going to get a hard drive for it and AppleWorks or whatever and keep the records and junk on it...

mostly the reason for wanting old and tv out was so that I'd be able to take it to friends' houses and so that people wouldn't want or try to get into it

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Slomac636

USA
103 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  20:50:33
Have you ever noticed how often a Mac appears on TV or in Movies? I wish I could find them in real life as often as I see them on TV.
Just a thought...

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

See my system: www.pbase.com/image/9129025Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:41:06
I realized that a couple of years ago. Now I have this habit of saying to myself the specs of the machine or the ever to common outburst of, "Hey! that's a Mac!". When I see them on tv.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
Or just 6

Commander, you have the helm. I'll be in my ready room.Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 04 Jul 2003 :  10:53:13
Macs show up on tv because they are distinctive compared to the dozens of PC makers. Its like a ferrari sticks out on the TV far more then a ford taurus. I dont think there are that many macs on tv compared to pc's its just they stick out more.

Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 07 Jul 2003 :  00:01:31
yeah, that, and they just use the computers they have there for video editing. cheap props! fua ha ha.

HTHtthtnc
"mmmm... popcorn kernels!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 Jul 2003 :  08:31:08
quote:

Have you ever noticed how often a Mac appears on TV or in Movies? I wish I could find them in real life as often as I see them on TV.
Just a thought...

Macs Liberated: 9 - 6400/180 (main Mac), 660AV, 636CD, LCIII+, LCII (2), Classic II, Classic and SE.

See my system: www.pbase.com/image/9129025

Indeed. But what would be even better would be if there were as many Mac users IRL as there are in movies or TV.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.