All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Quick network Question
Author Topic  
mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:16:47
I have an Asanté MCiLC ethernet card in LC 575, 475 or Performa 5200. I have a crossover ethernet cable and I set up the computer so that anyone should be able to log into 575 and 5200 but I can't get it to work. At first I tried connecting the 5200 to my CRT iMac, then the 575 to the CRT iMac and then 575 over to 5200. I had to switch the appletalk settings to 'printer port' and now the 575 to the 5200 networked. Both computers recognize the cards are installed so I'm not sure what's happening. I've got a new crossover cable. Could it be that the batteries are dead?.

Also, are the cards supposed to cover the whole LC PDS slot?, these only cover the longest segment but not the whole slot.

Thanks.

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  12:55:09
Is Appletalk set to to use the Ethernet card? Is File Sharing turned on? If things are working, then any computer with File Sharing turned on should appear in Apple Share under Chooser (even if the login permissions are restrictive). If you turn File Sharing on for the iMac, does the iMac appear on Chooser of the other Macs?

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  12:50:08
also do you have the Asante drivers installed or the Apple ones ... cos if your apple ones are after version 1.4.4 then the 3rd party cards wont work .... get drivers version 1.4.4 or earlier and it should work fine .... my fallareon one does in my LC III with apple drivers 1.4.4

http://www.info.apple.com/support/oldersoftwarelist.html

Orcadian MLA Division
68ks Liberated: 2Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 10 Jun 2003 :  12:51:45
oh ... and it should only cover the first part of the slot ... the second part is just an extra bit for some later cards (the LC and LC II doesent have the extra bit)

Orcadian MLA Division

mac-man6

Canada
217 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  13:08:55
What are the chances that this a battery related issue?. Both computers recognize in appletalk that ethernet is available.

Editor of the printed word, Ministry of 68k Truths (mini6)
------------------
PowerCD, Mac HD 20, SE, Classic II, IIx, IIvi, PB 170, LC 475, LC 575, Quadra 650, Performa 5200, iMac 333

How you like d'em apples?!Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  14:05:49
well when the batt was gone in my LCIII it kept defaulting to printer port over ethernet ... so that could cause it

Orcadian MLA Division

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 30 Jun 2003 :  16:13:56
quote:
well when the batt was gone in my LCIII it kept defaulting to printer port over ethernet ... so that could cause it
Ah yes, the dreaded batteryless rePRAMulation problem.

I have an old LCIII with a dead PRAM battery. Because I use the machine so infrequently I have not replaced the battery. Instead I put an alias to some crucial control panels in the Startup Items of the SYstem Folder. Thus, when I do use the machine, the first thing it asks for are the settings that it forgot.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

~tl

United Kingdom
312 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  03:41:37
yeah ... i hardly ever use mine ... but i still replaced the batt ... it lasts ages anyway ... its worth it ... epecially when i run it headless ... and cant reset the settings

Orcadian MLA Division

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  04:16:48
OK, I can see the need for a battery for headless ops.

But I wonder if there is some little utility (or even an Applescript) that would save a copy the latest PRAM settings to disk during shut-down and then reload those settings at startup? It could even reset the clock if it had access to a network.

G4From128k

Go to Top of Page

The Balance Of Judgement

Ivory Coast
1006 Posts
Posted - 01 Jul 2003 :  16:55:23
TechTool does that I beieve. Although it requires a restart after it writes it, so I not sure if once a mac is powered up on AC if it will "remember" things even if PRAM is dead.

There are still 68k Versions out there.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.