Lounge
 How to use "Disk Images" on Windows 98?
Author Topic  
SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  22:37:27
Howdy, folks!
Well, I'm playing around with the Bochs PC emulator on my 'new' Win98 system, but I've run into a snag - how does one mount disk images on a Win98 system? On Mac OS X, you'd just double-click the file and Disk Copy would pop up and mount the image for you, but, since everything is 4,984% harder on Windows, I've not been able to figure out how to do this seemingly simple task. I downloaded a program called "WinImage" that looked like it would do the trick, but it seems to only work with floppies (remember those?!) and their images, and wouldn't play nice with Boch's 100+ meg images.
Grrrrr! Hulk MAAAAAAD!!! Hulk SMASH stupid Wintel system!
Any ideas (that don't relate to anger management)?
Thanks,
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  22:40:38
Use Disk Copy under Basilisk II?

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  06:40:03
Windows doesn't use a virtual disk system like you are looking for. You will need to find third party software to try to what you want. You should be able to get a Linux OS to do what you want. WinImage uses its own format for images I believe, that's one reason it won't do what you are trying.

The next question would be: Why do you want to mount a disk image in windows? This will help determine an answer for your problem.

Glad to see you are enjoying Windows.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  07:52:25
Yes. emaq123 is right. You're headed in the right direction with WinImage, though. If it's a FAT disk image, you just use WinImage to extract the file(s) you need and then you can run them from the hard drive. If it's a HFS disk image you're trying to mount, then there's a program called TransMac that can extract the files from the image.

From what you're trying to do, I take it that you're trying to get into a "hard disk" image. Probably the best program for this is called DSK/HFV Explorer. Although you can't mount the images, you can transfer files to and from them and it even decodes the MacBinary and BinHex formats. You can get it here: http://gamma.nic.fi/~lpesonen/HFVExplorer/

I also recommend you try Basilisk II. It's supposed to be better than Bochs.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  09:58:55
Space Boy, what exactly are you trying to do?

As mentioned before you can't "mount" disk images in Windows. You can copy files, install files, and install drives, but you have to have an actual hardware drive, not a virtual "image" drive.

Why do you have a PC emulator on a PC?

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  10:53:21
Howdy again, folks...
quote:
Use Disk Copy under Basilisk II?

Har har har...
quote:
The next question would be: Why do you want to mount a disk image in windows? This will help determine an answer for your problem.

I didn't know that Windows isn't able to use disk images in the same way that a Mac can - live and learn, eh? As I mentioned, I'm just playing around with Bochs, which uses disk images for its hard drives, and I'd created a blank drive (using a utility that comes with Bochs), hoping to set it up as a DOS 6.something system for playing some old games that don't play nice with Win98... but I wasn't sure how to get the DOS system files onto the blank drive, to make it bootable. On my PowerBook, I'd just mount the drive image, drag-and-drop the files, and be on my way. I should've figured it would be a little harder/different on the PC!
quote:
I also recommend you try Basilisk II. It's supposed to be better than Bochs.

IIRC, Basilisk II is a Mac emulator (I've got it nicely setup on my PowerBook under OS X), and Bochs is an Intel x86 emulator, so they're really quite different, and are used for obviously different things. You're right, though - Basilisk is really good! :-)
quote:
Why do you have a PC emulator on a PC?

Why not? :-) Seriously, though, I just thought it would be fun to have a few different OS's running on the Win98 box (via emulation), in such a way that it would be just that much harder for my to bork my 'real' system. I like the idea of being able to play around with my autoexec.bat or config.sys files, without risking not being able to boot back into my 'regular' setup. Maybe emulation isn't the best way to do this (speed will be an issue for some of the more modern games, I imagine), but I'm not sure how else to go about it. If this were a Mac, I'd just scrounge up some more SCSI drives, install whichever systems I want on each one, and use the "Starup Disk" panel to choose which one I want to play with, but I don't know how one does this on a PC.
Any (more) ideas?
Thanks!
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  10:55:51
Whats' so funny about Basilisk II? I was serious!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  11:43:24
quote:

I didn't know that Windows isn't able to use disk images in the same way that a Mac can - live and learn, eh? As I mentioned, I'm just playing around with Bochs, which uses disk images for its hard drives, and I'd created a blank drive (using a utility that comes with Bochs), hoping to set it up as a DOS 6.something system for playing some old games that don't play nice with Win98... but I wasn't sure how to get the DOS system files onto the blank drive, to make it bootable. On my PowerBook, I'd just mount the drive image, drag-and-drop the files, and be on my way. I should've figured it would be a little harder/different on the PC!

Ok, now we have the info we need. I don't remember if Bochs will let a virtual machince access a physical drive. I think it does, but you'll have to read up on that. If not, what you want to do is make disk images of the cds and floppys you want to use with bochs. Mac OS X and Linux can do this. You can download 1 or 2 floppy Linux systems that have the command 'dd'. You can use dd to image disks. The great thing is that Linux and Mac OS X can mount the images as disks so it is a great way to archive floppies.

To image a floppy with dd:

dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/tmp/floppy_image

Have fun!

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.