All Forums
 Compact Macs
 Mac Classic Video to VGA
Author Topic  
Alb2550
Starting Member

25 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  01:18:18
I recently got a mac classic that was really smashed up.
The screen was in a million pieces, the case was broken and the analog board was cracked but the rest was still in good condition. After a few attempts I got the logic board hooked up to an old AT power supply and a speaker, flipped the switch and recieved the wonderful "BING" startup sound. It works great but there is no screen.

I knew the logic board's power connector also supplied the H-sync, V-sync and Video on their own wires.
So my question is can I convert the signals so that a Non-Multisync Vga monitor will accept it.
Note that I intend to use the monitor externally from the Mac and would prefer to modify the mac. Also note that I am extracting the signals directly from the logic board NOT the analog board.
I have already tried to hook it up directly but just get a jumbled up mess of pixels.
When I look closely I can make out parts of the flashing disk icon.

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 06 Jun 2003 :  21:13:18
I've replied to your similar post to the Hacks forum. Short answer: my schematics at home.earthlink.net/~gamba2 will give you enough information to hook it up to an external monitor. I guess you'll need to supplement it with info on VGA connector pinouts, but that's easy to find on the web.

I've hooked up many classic macs (but not a Mac Classic) to external monitors (modified TTL monitors as well as VGA). It's not hard, but it's still sufficiently time intensive that I don't recommend it unless you have lots of free time, and you live where it's too expensive to find less beaten up Classics! Around here, they're tossed in the trash with great regularity.

Good luck!

Go to Top of Page

Alb2550
Starting Member

25 Posts
Posted - 20 Jun 2003 :  21:13:53
Thanks For the info but i'm afraid it didn't work.

The information seems to be for TTL monitors which as far as i know are EGA not VGA which is Analog.
I have tried it with what i think is a EGA monitor but still to no avail.

Once again thanks.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 21 Jun 2003 :  06:17:55
quote:

The information seems to be for TTL monitors which as far as i know are EGA not VGA which is Analog.
I have tried it with what i think is a EGA monitor but still to no avail.

AFAIK, the old TTL monitors that there were adapters available for back in the day were the Hercules Monochrome type, EGA was more advanced.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

tomlee59
Starting Member

USA
46 Posts
Posted - 02 Jul 2003 :  14:45:28
Yes, of course the info is for TTL. But that's just an *example*. The info tells you what you need to know, if you're sufficiently technical (which I assume is the case, otherwise, why would you attempt it?), because the docs tell you what the compact macs produce as output.

Just combine that knowledge with the VGA pinout and other tech info, and build the adapter that you need.

Or, conclude that it's not worth doing, etc.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.