All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Using Resedit
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  19:32:20
The "p" key on my Duo's keyboard does not work. I was thinking that until I get a replacement Keyboard, I would be able to use Resedit to remap the key to something else (like the "-" key, but only as long as I would be able to switch it back when I do get my hands on a replacement) Does anyone know how to do this?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The Sane

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  22:01:33
quote:

I would be able to switch it back when I do get my hands on a replacement) Does anyone know how to do this?

Check out this site:
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/collections/hensa-micros/local/mac/keyboard/
The control panel (System 6) Keyboard Switcher had a great how-to called "Keyboard Switcher Manual" which used to be included with version 1.9.3. It wasn't on the newer verdion on James Walker's site, so I searched for the older version. It's not on the 1.9.3 file on the link I gave you either. But maybe you can find the right rev. A couple other utilities looked interesting and one of the other layouts might also have a how-to.

Here's the short version if you can't find it. Give editing the KCHR resource (work on a copy as usual) a try, it's pretty much drag & drop and you'll be creating a new keyboard layout to the choices in the sys. 7+ keyboard control panel.

have fun,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  22:52:05
Broken link. I tried searching several download sites, and I can't find the software you are talking about....
quote:

Here's the short version if you can't find it. Give editing the KCHR resource (work on a copy as usual) a try, it's pretty much drag & drop and you'll be creating a new keyboard layout to the choices in the sys. 7+ keyboard control panel

....so could you elaborate on that a bit? I couldn't find any practical tutorials that would give me the information I need, either.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  08:18:17
As much as I remember, this is what you do...

Make a copy of the system suitcase and open the copy with Resedit

Open the KCHR resource and duplicate the "U.S" resourse (or whatever keyboard layout you are using)

Open the duplicate of the "U.S" resource and drag the lowercase P from the large box full of charcters at the upper left of the window to whatever key you want it to be mapped to on the keyboard at the bottom of the window.

Hold down the shift key and do the same thing for the uppercase P

Save the resource, then open the System suitcase in the Finder and drag the resourse you just made into your current System suitcase. You should be able to select the new keyboard layout in the keyboard control panel (you may have to restart)

Hopefully I did not forget anything.

AnubisTTP
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  08:21:50
quote:

....so could you elaborate on that a bit? I couldn't find any practical tutorials that would give me the information I need, either.

http://hyperarchive.lcs.mit.edu/HyperArchive/Archive/per/im/infomacv15/infomacv15-251-290/infomacv15-254.txt

Date: Thu, 20 Nov 1997 16:14:38 -0600 (CST)
Subject: Remapping Keyboards

At 9:58 AM -0500 11/20/97, _____________ wrote:
>Does anybody know of a good utility for remapping the Keyboard
>on the Mac? I want to switch the CapsLock and Control keys around.
>(been spending way too much time on a Sparc ;)

Here's how to do this using ResEdit under 7.6.1. Other Systems are
proabbly similar, but YMMV.

1. Duplicate the System file by option-dragging it out of hte System Folder.
2. Open the new duplicate with ResEdit.
3. Open the 'KCHR' resources. These are your existing keyboard layouts.
4. Select the one you want to modify [I modified ID 0, "U.S."], then select "Copy".
5. Select "Paste"; choose "Unique ID" in the dialog that will come up. [This gave me a KCHR ID=128].
6. Select that new resource; Get Info [cmd-I].
7. Change the name to something that will remind you of your change [I used "U.S. w/ swapped cntl - capslock"].
8. Double-click your new KCHR. A somewhat intimidating dialog will appear. Over on the right in this dialog, you'll see a list of tables. Hold down a modifier key on your keyboard [cntl, opt, shift, cmd, capslock] and note that the table changes.
9. Make note of which table is used when you hold the Control key; also note whcih one is used when you select Caps Lock.
10. Hold down the Control key and click on the table that you noted for the Caps Lock key. You'll get asked if you want to do this. You do.
11. Repeat step 11 for the Caps Lock Key. Hold it down and click on the
table that you noted for the Control key. Again, confirm that you want to do this.
12. Quit ResEdit, saving changes.

Now, if you replace your current System file with this modified one, you'll have a new keyboard layout in your Keyboard control panel. When you select this layout, the behavior of the Caps Lock and Control keys will be swapped.

Note, however, that this will have no effect on the hardware behavior of the keys. The Caps Lock key will still lock when you press it, though it will have the effect that the Control key used to have. Similarly, the Control key will not lock, though if you hold it down, you'll get Caps Lock behavior.

________ - 11.20.1997 - ____________________

only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.
you don't want me to elaborate from memory,
trust me.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  09:05:31
quote:

Broken link. I tried searching several download sites, and I can't find the software you are talking about....

I couldn't find it either, but I've got a printed copy I keep in my resedit manual. Found two short versions and what looks to be a very good pdf.

http://www.mactech.com/articles/mactech/Vol.04/04.12/Macinkeys/
http://jsonwu.tripod.com/DailyTip/99/02/021199.txt
http://developer.apple.com/techpubs/mac/pdf/Text/Keyboard_Resources.pdf

happy hacking,
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  11:51:28
I was following all the instructions, but when I got up to the last step (dragging the hacked KB layout into the original system suitcase)....

BAM!

I got a system bomb telling me that an error occurred in "CHR", giving me the restart button. My changes weren't saved. I think I may have to replace the Sys suitcase itself, like what Chris Breen said to do in the Macworld article you linked....

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  12:05:06
quote:

I was following all the instructions, but when I got up to the last step (dragging the hacked KB layout into the original system suitcase)....

BAM!

I got a system bomb telling me that an error occurred in "CHR", giving me the restart button. My changes weren't saved. I think I may have to replace the Sys suitcase itself, like what Chris Breen said to do in the Macworld article you linked....

Search, macsbug (?), very handy to have a debugging tool installed, my PB100 used to bomb every time I forgot the workaround to get it to print to my epson stylus color. *G.D.U.T.E.'s, sloppy programing and first rev. drivers!*
live and learn, wonk'
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  12:55:09
quote:

live and learn, wonk'

I just learned never to even TRY to replace sys suitcases if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

I just lost my system.

I am screwed.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  13:01:53
And I double-posted to boot. I think I'm going to cry....

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  17:09:02
quote:

quote:

live and learn, wonk'

I just learned never to even TRY to replace sys suitcases if you don't know exactly what you are doing.

I just lost my system.

No, I do not have the orginal CDs (Or an ext CD-ROM)

I am screwed

Relax, tell us what you need, you'll get it fixed.
Cheer up, think how much college credits would cost to learn the same lessons.
jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  17:53:33
quote:

Search, macsbug (?), very handy to have a debugging tool installed, my PB100 used to bomb every time I forgot the workaround to get it to print to my epson stylus color.

Yes, it's very handy and I love it, the only problem is that you can only ever find the latest version of it online, and that one takes up a whole meg or more of RAM!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  18:42:23
*takes a deep breath*
*exhales*
Ok, I just got back from the guy who gave me the Duo, and the situation has improved. He gave me a Duo Dock II, so my Duo now has access to a floppy drive. The plan is this: I make a bootable floppy on my Quadra. I use that floppy to gain access to the Duo's HD and fix my mistake. There are two obstacles to this: 1. The Quadra is running 7.5.3, while the Duo was running 8. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?
2. I don't know how to make a bootable floppy.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  19:06:11
quote:

1. The Quadra is running 7.5.3, while the Duo was running 8. That shouldn't be too much of a problem, should it?
2. I don't know how to make a bootable floppy.

First, did you liberate any mini or micro-docks and the cable to allow you to try the Duo in SCSIDM (disk mode), if so hook it up to just the dock & cable, turn it on and if you see a drive icon traversing the screen with a SCSI id # on it life will be easy.

If not you're going to need to create a sys. 8 "Disk Tools" floppy from a disk image using the Quadra. If you've got any boot floppy at all form 7.1.1 - 8.1 try it first. Ask somebody else about making floppies from disk images, too far back, too little experience here.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  19:13:30
quote:

*takes a deep breath*
*exhales*

forgot to mention external cd drives/Maintenance Utilities& related boot disks/cd from any system prev.mentioned. list the tools at your disposal.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  19:17:42
quote:

First, did you liberate any mini or micro-docks and the cable to allow you to try the Duo in SCSIDM (disk mode), if so hook it up to just the dock & cable, turn it on and if you see a drive icon traversing the screen with a SCSI id # on it life will be easy.

The Dock II has one of those ports, and yes, I do have the cable. Doesn't the Duo have to be configured to SCSI DM first, though?
quote:

If not you're going to need to create a sys. 8 "Disk Tools" floppy from a disk image using the Quadra. If you've got any boot floppy at all form 7.1.1 - 8.1 try it first. Ask somebody else about making floppies from disk images, too far back, too little experience here.

I wish I had a boot floppy, but I don't have any sys software on disc, save for 9.2 and 10.1.....guess I'll try SCSI DM.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  19:23:59
quote:

The Dock II has one of those ports, and yes, I do have the cable. Doesn't the Duo have to be configured to SCSI DM first, though?

Dont think the full size docks support it, you need a little Mini or a micro-scsi, the duo should come up as the default id or whatever the last setting was, if the cable's pinouts say disk the PB's a Disk. Are you sure it's the short, FEMALE WITH BAILS cable about 10" long?
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  20:01:17
Looks like I have the wrong cable. The port on my Quadra looks like it requires a connector with pins and thumbscrews, not the one that I have (I think it is the same one used to connect to external devices). *sigh* I guess I need to make a boot disk...

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  20:15:53
quote:

Looks like I have the wrong cable. The port on my Quadra looks like it requires a connector with pins and thumbscrews, not the one that I have (I think it is the same one used to connect to external devices). *sigh* I guess I need to make a boot disk...

First, what docks do you have?
Second, the short DARK gray PB ?? pin to (Centronics)SCSI 50 pin female (with wire bails) cable attaches to a standard DB25-(Centronics)SCSI 50 pin male Mac Peripheral cable, SCSIDM requires 2 cables and sometines a passthru terminator in between the MF 50 pin connectors. Don't jump to conclusions about your equipment, list it, with accurate descriptions..
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 27 Jan 2002 20:16:54Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  21:54:15
quote:

A Duo Dock II
[qoute]
Second, the short DARK gray PB ?? pin to (Centronics)SCSI 50 pin female (with wire bails) cable attaches to a standard DB25-(Centronics)SCSI 50 pin male Mac Peripheral cable, SCSIDM requires 2 cables and sometines a passthru terminator in between the MF 50 pin connectors. Don't jump to conclusions about your equipment, list it, with accurate descriptions..
jt
[/quote]
I'm sorry, but I just don't exactly understand what you are talking about. I don't know all the cable terms...but I can tell you that the PB cable is short, but not "DARK" gray. Also that I don't have anything that connects to the end of the PB cable. And that whatever the connector an the other end is called, it looks alot like a SCSI terminator. Man, this is confusing. Pictures would be really helpful.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  22:38:19
quote:

quote:

A Duo Dock II

Then don't worry about hardware, the dock II won't work in SCSIDM, get some sleep and search for howto's on making a floppy from a disk image tomorrow. Learn the floppy route, that's the easiest at this point, and make a disk tools floppy (at least, whole sets would be better) for every mac in your collection a/o every system you think you ever might need.

Live and learn.
Sometimes the lessons are no fun at all.
http://www.tinaja.com/glib/degub.pdf
Download and print this lesson, you'll love it, it's the best troubleshooting manual I've ever seen, 3 pages, very entertaining, and have some fun with your toys tomorrow!
jt

Go to Top of Page

MacScuzzy

USA
119 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  14:03:50
Thanks to MacScuzzy's Pseudo ADD, he hasn't read very much, so please bare with him

Ok Wonko, to make a bootable disk (with 7.6 or earlier) just nab a floppy, make a folder called "System Folder", and drag the Finder and System files into this folder. Viola'! Since you said you made a backup of the System on the Dou (very good thinking), fixing it shouldn't be a problem.

Oh, and Here's the link to Apple's Older System Software FTP-y thingy.

-------------
Spring has sprung, fall has fell, winters here and it's colder then usual.

Brigadier MacScuzzy
68K Macintosh Liberation Army
Total 68K Macs liberated:5

[Edit: Oops, damn UBB]

Edited by - MacScuzzy on 03 Feb 2002 14:07:18Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  22:39:29
The problems just seem to keep piling up....I tried to make the boot floppy according to your instructions, MacScuzzy, but I found a problem with my Quadra's floppy drive. It can't "initialize the disc", and when it tries to, it makes a horrible noise, it sounds like it's cutting the disk in half. I used blank floppies and floppies containing software. It can't read/write any disks. I'm thinking that either:
1. I have a really bad, dead floppy drive, or
2. someone switched the 1.4 MB drive with an 800k drive at one point.
Either way, I'll need a new floppy drive.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  22:55:06
quote:

The problems just seem to keep piling up....I tried to make the boot floppy according to your instructions, MacScuzzy, but I found a problem with my Quadra's floppy drive. It can't "initialize the disc"
Either way, I'll need a new floppy drive.

Open up the dock and swap that FDD into the Quadra to make the boot disk and then back into the dock to boot the PB.
jt

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 03 Feb 2002 :  23:52:30
quote:
Originally posted by MacScuzzy:
...so please bare with him...

Man, you must be desperate for girls!

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  20:46:50
*sigh*
Ok, I followed all of your directions and made a boot disk, but the Duo refused to boot. I will check the disk to see if I put all the right files in (the Finder and the contents of the System Suitcase).
Also, is there a way to use the DuoDock without a monitor? To just run it open, using the Duo's screen as a display?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  21:12:12
quote:

I will check the disk to see if I put all the right files in (the Finder and the contents of the System Suitcase).

which system, still trying to do 8.x on the duo? why don't you make a 7.5.3 startup disk on the quadra? you might have to do an install "for any macintosh" if it doesn't work the first time with what is on it now.

[quote]
Also, is there a way to use the DuoDock without a monitor?
To just run it open, using the Duo's screen as a display?

nope, silly apple!

it's been a while, somebody could have snail mailed a disk to you, might want to request one if this doesn't work again. you might also want to do a detailed description of the configuration again before you get frustrated. clarity is really important, Ti had us all thinking that he was having some wierd hardware problem by the unclear way he said he didn't have a boot disk. no big deal, but clarity is paramount when asking for help so as to get appropriate advice.

*look who's talking ab out clarity! LOL*
jt2

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Feb 2002 :  22:07:43
I'll explain the situation again:
My Duo was running 8.0. I messed around with it, trying to replace the System Suitcase with a copy that was Resedited. I forgot to ename the copy "System" and left it "System Copy". My Duo would therefore not boot up. I would get the flashing question-marked disc icon instead. I was told that by making a boot disc from 7.5.3 by making a floppy with the finder and the contents(?) of the System Suitcase, I could repair the damage. That didn't work. Now I will check the disc to see if I made any mistakes in making it. If that doesn't work, I will try to get my hands on a system 8 boot disc (I think there is one on the HL server).

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  17:48:40
More bad news:
After experimenting with different ways I could put the files ( in the same folder, in a different folder, on an 800k disc, etc.) my Dock died. It wouldn't start up, and when I left it plugged in, it suddenly ejected the Duo, dropping it on the floor. I think the Duo is ok, but the Dock is very dead. It won't accept the Duo, I think the motor isn't working.
Now I have no way to get it to boot.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 26 Feb 2002 :  18:50:28
quote:

More bad news:
After experimenting with different ways I could put the files ( in the same folder, in a different folder, on an 800k disc, etc.) my Dock died. It wouldn't start up, and when I left it plugged in, it suddenly ejected the Duo, dropping it on the floor. I think the Duo is ok, but the Dock is very dead. It won't accept the Duo, I think the motor isn't working.
Now I have no way to get it to boot.

hey, wonk, it's probably just that damned 99 cent capacitor (?) again, don't sweat it. somebody will post a link to a howto, they pro'ly got 'em with pictures now. do you have any other docks at all?i think i've got two or three of those psu's laying around waiting for the same fix.
worse comes to worse, i'll help you get it runnning, you don't happen to go to stuy or science do you?

jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  19:30:22
Yeah, the original owner told me it was dying, and I knew I only had a limited amount of time to get it running. I was suprised that it lasted such a short time and had such a violent reaction, spitting out my Duo like that.

quote:
you don't happen to go to stuy or science do you?

I assume you mean Stuyvestant and Bronx Science? No, I don't go there (though sometimes I wish I did!). Why do you ask?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  19:37:04
quote:

Yeah, the original owner told me it was dying, and I knew I only had a limited amount of time to get it running. I was suprised that it lasted such a short time and had such a violent reaction, spitting out my Duo like that.
quote:
you don't happen to go to stuy or science do you?

I assume you mean Stuyvestant and Bronx Science? No, I don't go there (though sometimes I wish I did!). Why do you ask?

the kid's at stuy and some of his friends are at science, i'd have had him bring in a floppy micro or minidock and fdd for you to use to get your duo back up.

jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Feb 2002 :  20:02:20
Wow, you have a lucky kid.
I *might* (I don't exactly go to Stuyvestant, but I do go to a private school and get a substantial amount of work) have some time over the weekend, maybe I could come over and pick them up.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

alcoa

Albania
543 Posts
Posted - 01 Mar 2002 :  11:32:49
quote:

Wow, you have a lucky kid.
I *might* (I don't exactly go to Stuyvestant, but I do go to a private school and get a substantial amount of work) have some time over the weekend, maybe I could come over and pick them up.

hi, wonk,

yeah, the kid's very lucky to have such a wonderful opportunity, but any school is what you make of it. i envied the education that some of the kids i was in honors classes with for the depth of their jesuit prep school educations, but it really didn't make all that much of a difference in the college work. just make sure your reading list is LONG and well rounded.

haven't forgotten my offer, just still don't know if i'll be around this weekend or not. i'll keep you posted and if you've got too much work anyway, let me know.

jt2

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.