All Forums
 Lounge
 Anime, Movies, and any other Video.....
Author Topic  
Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  08:17:25
What do you use to watch these on your Mac? I found it to be a fun challenge to watch .avi and asf files on my 8600/G3/400. I suppose this isn't as much of a problem for OS X.x, but for those of us using 9.2 or earlier, converters seem to be in order at almost every turn. The top two I use are DivX Doctor II and DivX Validator 5.0a2.

I'm also curious how many codecs you've all found to install and add more compatability.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out.

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 01 Jun 2003 :  11:44:09
quote:
codecs

I don't understand/know this term

I use Maczilla, which does a great job of bringing some kind of video/audio compatability to a 68k mac.

I use video player(can't remember the name of it, by Johnny Lee) for watching vcd's on my powermac.

But all too often we have to use quicktime

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  05:49:53
Codecs in the basic sense are used by apps like quicktime to translate various video formats. There are a lot more members here much better qualified to answer this, but that's the simple way to put it. The "Indeo Video" codecs are the most common ones used in the Mac OS and you'll see them in the extention list.

I normally play everything right through Quicktime myself, but with all the Avi files out there being used, those two converters I mentioned are a must have. By running the file through them, it changes the file into something that Quicktime can recognize and play.

WIth all the new anime members showing up at my forums, I plan on having more discussion on this over there. Anyone that wants to join in, please come on over and have fun. It's not a computer intensive forum, but more like a rather large "Lounge" to expand on other areas of life and/or intrest. Just click the link in my sig. to get there.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.