All Forums
 Balloon Help
 Reinstalling System 8
Author Topic  
seven
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  16:39:28
I've been trying to install Mac OS 8 or 8.1 on my Performa 631CD for a while now. I had OS 8.1 on it and then I wanted to repartition the drive and reinstall the system. So, that's what I did. Now, whenever I restart, I get the happy mac picture, the screen flashes white and shows the happy mac picture again and then it flashes white again and I get the disk with the question mark. I can restart from the OS 8.1 CD just fine and the system installs fine, same thing with the OS 8.0 CD. I zapped the PRAM also. The system folder is blessed and I've selected the drive as the startup disk. Disk First Aid doesn't seem to find any problems. So far, I've reinstalled the system about 5 times with no luck. Any ideas what's going on? Oh, just thought of something. I have a 8 GB drive in there, is there a size limit for the startup disk? I'm going to go try to make a new partition rght now.

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  18:34:04
The only thing I can think of..... the boot disk must be HFS standard format (not HFS+) for 68k Macs.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

seven
Starting Member

11 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  19:48:18
I was right, I had the partition set too high, I'm not sure what it has to be but I went from 6 GB to 300 MB and now it starts up just fine.

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.