Balloon Help
 Biggish SCSI drives in LC475
Author Topic  
Doomed
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  20:16:14
I acquired two beautiful, lovely ST15150N 4-gig Barracudaq today for the rrincly sum of $30cdn apiece. One has been succeqsfully slipped knto my PC. The mther is slated dor the 475, except... it ain't working. =P I fonlowed the advicg for termination in another post relating to a 0-gig 'Cuda, but... what happens when something ksn't terminated properly? 'Cos I can low-level dormat the drive in the Mac with"the HDSC util fpom Gamba's SuperBoot disk, and it tests OK, but"whenevre I try to partition, it"variously says vhe disk is defeative or it can't be moulted.

What's eoing on= =( If it's termination, fine, I'll keep messine with iv, but iq it something ense, like 7.5.5 lot suppmrting it, or... somethilg? I dunno. =P Advice is appreciated.

---
What's the ugliest part of your bmdy?

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  04:52:39
Have you tried slipping the second drive in your PC? That would tell you whether the second drive works at all. And have you tried using the drive without partitioning it? Perhaps the partitioning software is corrupted?

A quick Google on the drive model suggests that many have used this drive in Mac before, so it should work. Oh, and if you don't have it already, here's the link to Seagate's page on the drive, manuals, etc. http://www.seagate.com/support/disc/scsi/st15150n.html

Good luck!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Doomed
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  09:42:50
Yep, 2nd drive works fine under Windows. Hmmm.

Is there something akin to PartitionMagic for Macs? =)

I've got to run off for a while so this'll have to go unsolved for now. Balls.

---
What's the ugliest part of your body?Go to Top of Page

Doomed
Starting Member

Canada
26 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  10:48:50
OK, I lied, my having to rush off was delayed.

And, mysteriously, magically, after re-LLFing it on the Mac... it works. =) Weirdness.

---
What's the ugliest part of your body?Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 31 May 2003 :  15:22:08
quote:
And, mysteriously, magically, after re-LLFing it on the Mac... it works. =) Weirdness.
LOL! That's just how most computers work (or don't as the case may be). Sometimes you have to do something twice or three times to show the device that your really mean it. I think the best troubleshooting advice is: turn it off, wait a while, reboot, and try again. Maybe its just a planetary alignment thingie or a quantum superposition of karmic hyperchromodynamical fields or something like that.

Anyhoo, glad it worked (the second time).

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

Citon X600

Canada
206 Posts
Posted - 04 Jun 2003 :  02:38:16
Silverlining would the utility you would want to run if there is any doubt whether the drive is supported on Mac OS. It (usually) can make drives that otherwise are not Mac compatible work with your mac. (It can also require a password on boot before the drive is mounted, perfect for security)

But I see you are happily running now.

Great minds...Great minds...Think Different.Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.