Balloon Help
 Whacked up HD
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  18:12:09
I have a 700mg SCSI hd that has my system from one of my old powermacs on it. When I try to boot from the thing it stops at the "happy mac" and sits there. When I boot from a cd, i cant change anything because it says that the disk is locked. Now I figured i could just go under get info and you know unlock it but no such luck. And i ran disk first aid on the thing fixed a few minor problems and it still doesnt work. I also have no freakin clue how the darn little bugger got locked. My younger siblings used to use the computer that hd went into maybe they did something.

Is there a way i can fix this with out wiping the drive?

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  19:23:17
The format of the drive is probably unreadable on a 68k mac (anything from os 8.5 and over uses a different format).

Your machine cant find a hd to boot from so it hangs, when you boot from a cd you cant edit the drive because macos doesnt know the format to read it.

If there isnt anything important on the drive reformat it and install a compatible os onto it.

Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  19:35:25
It has 8.0 and i was trying to get my 7100 to read it not a 68k. That is my only copy of 8 so i kinda want the data.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
or just 4Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  00:04:26
Coupla things... as Unknown says, if your 700MB HD is in HFS+ format then you'll need to boot up from (another disk) OS8.1 upwards to be able to view the files (if you use 8.0 downwards, all you will be able to see is a Simpletext file called "where are my files?" or some such thing)

Is your disk formatted with a third party utility (such as FWB, Silverlining...etc), rather than Apple's HDSC Setup? Perhaps you need to take a swipe with your utility (or just try one out) - but DON"T format your disk, just look for an 'unlock' checkbox or something.

hope that helps
Flash!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  02:24:22
IIRC, FWB has something like that.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 08 Jun 2003 :  19:44:44
Actually, I think that it came formatted with 8 installed. So I'm not really sure what was used to format it. I think I will try using the disk utility to see if I can see something that will unlock it.

--------------------
Christophillis- Portable Squadren Commander
Or just 6Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.