All Forums
 Lounge
 He pulled a GUN on me!!
Author Topic  
Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  11:36:01
I maintain a small Mac/PC for a client, and I was there tonite doing some maintenance work on the system. I prefer to work after hours on these things so that I do not cause chaos while people are trying to work. Anyway, I finished work at 2am and headed up the street to get a cab home.
While I was standing at the corner two guys approached me and started some small talk - and next thing you know one of them pulls a gun, points it at me and demands my wallet!
All things considered, I remained quite calm. I started walking backwards, telling the guy to chill out while I reached for my wallet and fortunately for me a taxi pulled up at the right time and I opened the door and jumped in telling the driver to get the f**k outa there!
He dropped me a few hundred metres down the road, where I got out and called the cops on my mobile. Police turned up about ten minutes later, however the gunman was long gone by that stage. I've just spent the last two hours at the cop shop doing an identikit on the two men - however I am not holding my breath for an arrest. Two hours ago, and I'm still shaking all over. I'm not going to be able to sleep at all tonite.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedic

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  11:49:44
First off have your own car, even a beater. Second know the area your working in. And third dont work till 2am, its better to show up before they start working and leave when the sun is up.

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  11:56:05
Yeah, my own car would be good. As for 'knowing my area' - it's like four suburbs away from my place, and one of the most unlikely places in town for this kinda thing to happen. Not to mention being on a main road and intersection - which is why I was able to get away in a taxi - I figured they wouldn't shoot me in the back for a wallet. I know Sydney well, and there's definitely places where this kind of thing is likely to happen.

A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedicGo to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  12:24:25
Crap!
Glad to hear you're okay... Hope those bastards don't make a return appearance!
This just goes to show: Never, EVER leave your house without your Super-Compact-Mac-Flyback-Transformer-of-DOOM!!!

SpaceBoy <remember, kiddies, guns don't kill people, 9" CRT's kill people...>

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  13:30:28
Sorry to hear that. Glad you are ok. Strange world and strange people.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  13:44:48
I would have given them my wallet instead of backing up. Cheaper to replace a few credit cards then removing a bullit from your colon.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  17:11:40
Holy crap. Glad to hear that you're ok!!! I'm not too sure about this, but apparently when you get trained to work in a bank, they tell you that if there is a robbery, to just give the crook what they want, to keep violence to a minimum.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  18:49:07
Yea well the bank tellers are not giving the robbers THEIR money, why would they fight over it. Its all insured anyway.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  19:35:36
Good point, Unknown K.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  19:52:03
Glad your okay. You did the right thing. You were complying with demand and creating space in case. You didn't try to run until there was someone else there to witness it. I've been all around those kinds of places were that crap can be normal, (New Haven, CT). If you had freaked, then the chances they were going to also woud have increased dramatically. The way they set you up leads me to believe they must have been sober enough to know exactly what they were doing. If they were hopped up on drugs, that's when you run regardless. Too much unpredicatability in what they'll do then. It's good you were able to keep yourself calm through this.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  21:11:57
Exactly Stryder. I would have handed over anything they wanted, but seeing as the oportunity to escape safely arose, I decided to do that and keep my money.

Sheesh unknown_k, you make it sound like it's my fault Obviously I am not going to argue with a gun - and my life (or even just a bullet hole in my body) is worth far more than a few dollars in cash and a few credit cards.

The guys were opportunists. Crap knows what they were doing in that (normally very safe) neighbourhood, it was absolutley pissing down with rain (even the fish were taking shelter!), and no serious crim with a brain would have even tried doing this in that location (a main intersection with reasonable pedestrian traffic at all times of the day and nite, as well as passing cars) They bumped into me at the corner, quickly cased me and the surroundings (no witnesses) and then pulled the gun. When it became obvious that a) I could escape and b) there would be a witness (the taxi driver) then they gave up and ran off.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  21:12:12
:shudders:

yeah... remember though, every time this happens to someone on TV, they become UberScared and hide in their basements....

don't do that...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  22:35:27
This makes me glad that I live in a small town where these things dont (usually) occur. Though earlier this spring someone was shot in the chest and died in the house accross the street from me.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  23:05:28
Almsot reminds me of the barse (yes, i did spell that like that intentionally! [;)) driver back at school. He would tell me about how dangerous the town is and curse at me for walking back from the Shop. C'mon, not every city is like NYC...........

Didn't i tell you i hate my old school?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  05:21:55
quote:
I've been all around those kinds of places were that crap can be normal, (New Haven, CT)

My folks tell me all kinds of horror stories about their time at Yale, like the guy who got shot on their front steps over a tape measure, or getting their windshield shot out on the way back from a party. The stories about the University of Chicago are just as bad. My mom almost got shot over a bag of groceries, and she had to put the refrigerator against the door when she went home for the holidays so the robbers couldn't break down the door.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  05:57:01
Keep a semi-auto or pump (if your on a budget) shotgun around the house (large shot shells), best close up weapon there is!

Personally I have never been threatened with a weapon or mugged in my life. I live in youngstown , Ohio a place known accross the country for mob hits and organized crime.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  06:43:24
I'd just say don't freak out and if this is a single, isolated incidence, not to let it get to you.

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Stryder

USA
382 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  09:30:38
quote:

My folks tell me all kinds of horror stories about their time at Yale, like the guy who got shot on their front steps over a tape measure, or getting their windshield shot out on the way back from a party.

Yeah, it was a fun place wander about. I started making it my stomping ground back when I was 16 even though it was a 45min drive from home. Seems like a whole different life from the one I live now.

"One slip and down the hole we fall"

Stryders Community

http://www22.brinkster.com/originalstryder/db/default.asp

Come and check it out. Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  15:28:43
Semi autos are illegal in AU now.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  16:51:47
Illegal? Whats the world coming to when you can have a semi-auto shotgun. I loved my dads old remington semi auto with magnum shells.. made on hell of a mess with anything you hit.

Personally I just have a remington viper .22 semi-auto rifle with a 10 round clip and a sniper scope (everything is black colored)

very fun to buy a milk carton sized box of .22 hollow points and go plinking at targets (only costs a few bucks), and cleaning the gun is fairly easy.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  17:31:18
Damnit. That sucks. Semi Autos and Autos are banned here. Its mainly because of that big shooting spree that happened down in Tasmania a few years ago.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  19:04:52
quote:

Damnit. That sucks. Semi Autos and Autos are banned here. Its mainly because of that big shooting spree that happened down in Tasmania a few years ago.

Along with you personally owning a semi or full auto gun, the "bad guys' who want to break in/mug/kill/rob banks whatever, can also get them. So by making it illegel they are trying to do a good thing and get guns like that off the streets, so that not everyone and his brother can own and tote one.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
or just 4Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  19:31:56
Ah, yes, good point.

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  21:39:49
dont you hate it when your favorite country bans your favorite guns to keep YOU from going COMPLETELY POSTAL and killing everyone??

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  22:00:14
At Scumhell?

Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  22:11:34
that's what YOu thinkg!!!

.ME goes postal

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 26 May 2003 :  23:03:06
quote:

quote:

Along with you personally owning a semi or full auto gun, the "bad guys' who want to break in/mug/kill/rob banks whatever, can also get them. So by making it illegel they are trying to do a good thing and get guns like that off the streets, so that not everyone and his brother can own and tote one.

Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
or just 4

The bad people can ALWAYS get their guns, banning the guns just makes it easier for criminal to overpower you.

Its like saying drugs are banned, but you can pick them up anywhere you need them.

I dont see the problem with shotguns (not the fully auto military ones with drum clips) or semi auto rifles with a max clip of 10 rounds. I dont see the need for fully automatic assault rifles in the home.

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  03:50:29
quote:

Semi Autos and Autos are banned here. Its mainly because of that big shooting spree that happened down in Tasmania a few years ago.

quote:

So by making it illegel they are trying to do a good thing and get guns like that off the streets, so that not everyone and his brother can own and tote one.

note to above - which also means that it is harder for decent guns to be aquired by crims via stealing from house or residence. Crims would then have to have to aquire them from "ligitimate gun running organisations" (bigger criminals) and this basically cuts out your average teenager doing a break and enter, or a junkie looking for hot items to sell.

And this leads to the below...

quote:

The bad people can ALWAYS get their guns, banning the guns just makes it easier for criminal to overpower you.

Agreed, 'real' assholes can always get guns and do serious crimes. I didn't really intend to get into a gun debate but I would have to say that I agree with the intention, if not the implementation, of gun laws to reduce the number of guns on the street. That would (help) prevent 20 year old f*ckwits from using guns to commit petty crime like stealing wallets.

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  09:09:29
A knife would have worked just as well since there were 2 of them. Or they could have just beaten the hell out of the person and taken the wallet.

Go to Top of Page

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  11:01:51
Exactly. I didn't say that gun laws prevent crime from happening - they just prevent them happening with guns

It takes a little skill and close proximity of the attacker to do the job with a knife. With a gun they can fire off a pot shot at any time, from almost any distance - they can stand ten feet away from you and say "throw me you wallet" and you more or less have to comply.

With a knife you can grab the knife-hand and (hopefully) overpower the attacker. Or you can take your chances and run (assuming they do noy have you in a grip-hold) With a gun you can do the same, but you have to make sure the thing is pointing away from you at all times just in case they decide to squeeze the trigger.

I prefer a slightly more level playing field, that's all.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.