All Forums
 Lounge
 PB 5300 Power management OT
Author Topic  
emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  16:33:07
Does anyone know anything about PB 5300s having problems reporting false battery levels?

I've had my new PB 5300 in the shop twice, and I don't think they know what to do.

The problem is when you bring the book out of sleep (or turn it on) you will see a battery level that looks about right. Within a minute the battery level will jump up to a high level which is false. The problem with this is that when the battery dies, the PB thinks it still has power and dies unable to provide a warning. This is not good for running on battery.

I know that this is a bit off-topic, but we seem to have some good techs here who might know something.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  16:52:31
I would assume that you have tried a good solid PMU reset? You might also want to trash any battery or energy-saver-related prefs because it does sound like a software problem (something related to the battery/energy management systems is getting borked by the sleep cycle) . Are you using any nonstandard powerbook/battery utilities? If so, you might want to remove them.

Good Luck, I hope its not a hardware problem.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  17:43:24
Never assume anything when troubleshooting. I know many things but not everything. PMU resets are new to me. I looked up the procedure for the 5300 and upon reset the notebook was reading 69% battery instead of the 100% it had two minutes before. So this is a good sign.

The weird thing is that this is not the original chassis I bought. When I took it in the second time, the tech swapped my 5300cs with a 5300c. I not going to complain about that one. Both chassis showed the same problems.

The only non standard utility I use is mybattery 3.3.8 PPC unregistered. I was thinking of registering it for the history feature to try to get a handle on the battery drain. The problem was there before I started using it so I don't think it is causing any problems.

Battery shows full power again so I guess it's time to play a game on my now active color screen and drain that battery a bit...

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  21:28:28
It's more likely that battery is at fault than anything else. On m 1400 I had a poroblem where it would drain steadily to 50% then die, although I did get a warning. Deep dischargin that battery helps for some things. I can't remember what kind of battery the 5300 has, NiMH etc, work out the time then google it with battery care or something, if you look after the battery the other things might sort themselves out too. Another thing have you run Apples batter reconditioner? that also helps, best to do that one over night.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  21:59:44
well if you're having battery problems now!

don't EVER install MacOS 10.2.4 on there!

that messes up your batteries for real!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  23:25:04
And just HTF would he put Jag on there?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  06:45:58
quote:

It's more likely that battery is at fault than anything else. On m 1400 I had a poroblem where it would drain steadily to 50% then die, although I did get a warning.

I was thinking it may be the battery. I've had to batteries with the same symptoms It looks like I'm getting between 1-2 hrs use off this battery. That seems to be what these machines are rated for. The PMU reset did end up getting the battery charged more but the false reporting is still there. I'll be trying a pmu reset, pram reset, and pref delete today, but I don't think it will help.

emaq123

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 25 May 2003 :  06:46:59
The battery is a NiMH.

emaq123

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.