Compact Resq's
Author Topic  
Mobile_tech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  06:20:05
Howdy Folks,

Well over the last week I have been digging around my various "storage" niche around the house, and I have found a number of Compact Macs. I finish wiring up the whole place about a month ago with 10BaseT, and now I was thinking I might put these guys back into service.

#1 SE/30 128 Megs of RAM/500Meg HD. Strangely this lil guy is dead. I have had this unit for years, it was my first Mac (ok ok I admit it, I am a PC Network admin by day). I put it away about a year old, WORKING. Now nadda. No powerup. No Chimes. No nothing. No idea why. Sucks cause it has about 60% of my older system 7 stuff on it. Suggestions?? Also the only SE I have with a Ethernet Card.

#2 SE/30 32 Megs/40 Meg HD. Boots to 7.01 fine... most of the time. First boot, I get the ? floopy, power off and on, and the drive boots right up. Replace the drive? (Have a box of 10 230 Meggers I picked up for a buck each).

#3 SE 1 Meg/20. DOA no idea. Found it in the trash.

#4 Color Classic. 36 Megs/230 Meg 575 upgrade. Ethernet. PURRRRRRRRs

#5 Color Classic. 10 Megs/80 Meg. System 7.1. Has a DaynaPort Ethernet card, but I can NOT get 7.1 to see the card. Errors out.
Sighhhh.

#6 Color Classic. Unknown. havent powered it up yet.

#7 Color Classic. Unknown. same as above.

#8 SE/30 4Megs/40. Needs EVERYTHING, but works.

#9 Mac Classic. No idea what to use this puppy for. I bought a Carrying Case for my Color Classic, and this guy was inside and the guy threw it in free!). Works good. Ram is maxed. Case and Screen look new.... but NO expansion.

#10 thru 22(24?) LCIII ? Megs/? Meg I have about a dozen or so LCIII's that were headed for a dumpster and I went and picked up. Some have RAM, some HD's, and a few Ethernet. No idea if I am going to use these puppies, the project I got them for was canceled. Ethernet card SHOULD work in my CC's, right? No monitors so these guys aren't all that appealing for my own use.....

I plan to make the SE/30's my file servers, the CC's my workstation in my small office. Each will get upgraded to 128Megs, and a internal 1.2 Gig drive. And a PDS Ethernet card.

I am a little unsure of the upgrade path for the CC's. I was seriously considering just buying a number of Sonnet Presto Plus cards, making them 040 with 32 Megs and Ethernet in one simple install. Hell of a lot easier then a 575 upgrade (Thou more costly). Trouble is of course the Screen Res. Anyone got pro/cons about upgrading them? Suggestion about them in general?

Thanks!
Mobile_Tech

"68k's in action: Q840/Q800/SE/30's/CC/LCIII's, PPC's 1400/1400/3400/6200/6320CD/6100/6115/7100"

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  06:28:39
You got a nice collection of CC's! Mine is a Mystic with a slot-loading CD-ROM (boy did that hack take a lot of work). My advice is pick one CC and spend all your time on it...trying to upgrade four of them is going to be a financial and logistical nightmare. You could sell three of the CC's stock for a good amount of money, since demand for them is always high, and use the cash to spruce up the remaining one.

If I were to start over with my CC, I'd try going to the Takky route. Even though it's a lot more work and more money, it has so much more possibilities.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Lord of the Mac II Series
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
http://www.cinemafia.net

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 May 2003 06:29:00Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  07:35:26
Forget abotu the Presto Plus. Get the LC575 upgrade. Sure, you'll have to get rid of your 30 pin SIMMs and get 72 pinners, but still, you'll get a motherboard designed to take an '040, with a full-on 32 bit archictecture, plus your LC PDS slot will be free. On top of that, an LC575 mobo allows you to upgrade the VRAM to 1 meg, which will allow Thousands or perhaps even Millions of colours on a 512x384 display.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Mobile_tech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:28:07
quote:

You got a nice collection of CC's! Mine is a Mystic with a slot-loading CD-ROM (boy did that hack take a lot of work). My advice is pick one CC and spend all your time on it...trying to upgrade four of them is going to be a financial and logistical nightmare. You could sell three of the CC's stock for a good amount of money, since demand for them is always high, and use the cash to spruce up the remaining one.

If I were to start over with my CC, I'd try going to the Takky route. Even though it's a lot more work and more money, it has so much more possibilities.

Funny.. have you been talking to my wife? She wants all of them BUT the 4 CC's gone.. along with the Quadra's and PPC's. See I would consider selling a few CC's to build a better Color MouseTrap, but that would make for two VERY unhappy children and one unhappy wife. 4 of us = 4 systems and we all love the CC's.

The Takky is an awesome upgrade, as is the 601 and PPC, but Way way way beyond my abilities. Give me a PeeCee and I can do most anything, but I know when to say when. But it is a good suggestion for those of you who will brave those unknowns.

But the CC's I have, I collect. SE/30's and CC's are the only two machines I buy whenever I possibly can. Have you seen the "Wall" at ctrl-68k? I was thinking of one day doing the same with CC's.

Anyways... thanks for the info, and I love the CD CC's I have seen.

Mobile_Tech

PS: Awesome Webpage you got yourself there.. :)

Go to Top of Page

Mobile_tech
Starting Member

USA
8 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:33:52
quote:

Forget abotu the Presto Plus. Get the LC575 upgrade. Sure, you'll have to get rid of your 30 pin SIMMs and get 72 pinners, but still, you'll get a motherboard designed to take an '040, with a full-on 32 bit archictecture, plus your LC PDS slot will be free. On top of that, an LC575 mobo allows you to upgrade the VRAM to 1 meg, which will allow Thousands or perhaps even Millions of colours on a 512x384 display.

Good point. I was just thinking that with the Presto Plus, I could 1) 040 the CC, 2) increase the Ram 3) add Ethernet in one fell swoop and I retain the "stock" system if for some strange and unknown reason I want to (GASP!!) sell one of them...

Can you install a 575 board without modifying it? I thought it required the VGA upgrade....?

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  10:34:42
All you need do for the LC 575 upgrade is slide the mobo in...that's it! Now, for aesthetic reasons you may want to also source a LC 575 backpanel and modify it to fit the CC (something I have yet to do). The VGA mod is only for if you want to have 640x480 res. However, I have weighed the gains of 640x480 against the work needed to do to get it and the fact that it usually shortens the life of the nearly-impossible-to-replace CC internal CRT/analog board and decided that I can live with 512x384.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Lord of the Mac II Series
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
http://www.cinemafia.netGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  15:21:33
I thought you needed to do something to the mobo? Check the CC FAQ (on the 'Fritter)

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.