Lounge
 I'm B-A-A-A-A-A-C-K!
Author Topic  
cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:52:03
Okay, here I am after more than two months of non-postage. Since I heard that I'd been put on the MIA lost and some folks were wondering why I still got around to posting at the fritter but not here, I'd figured I'd at least give a modest explanation.

For the last two months I've been working at a new job that didn't allow web access and also sucked in just about every other way. Between that and either having my password here at the MLA hacked or somehow forgetting it (even though I tried every combination of password I've ever used), I just haven't been able to get back on. I still posted here and there at the AAF, AF, and even once at the MFF before it promptly disappeared, but usually right before going to bed.

Anyway, I quit the crappy job on Wednesday and am looking forward to starting a NEW job the day after Memorial Day (that would be this coming Tuesday for our international members). The new job is very cool, I'm going to be a Level-2 Tech Support Rep for iPowerWeb, a relatively young web hosting company based in Santa Monica. It's a longer commute than I'll be used to, but because of the shift they gave me, I won't have to deal with traffic. I'll mostly be answering emails and also taking escalated calls from the Level-1 Techs, so hopefully once I get a feel for the place I'll be able to get back on the forums more often.

In other news, I'm considering the sale of my trusty Quadra 840av, so take a look at the trading post for the details. Also, I'm going on a trip down to San Diego tonight so don't expect to see me back after today until next Tuesday. I need a vacation! Otherwise, all is well and things are going good. Hope everyone kept the popcorn warm for me while I was away...

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Lord of the Mac II Series
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
http://www.cinemafia.net

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:55:45
Congrats on getting your new job! Do you still deal with PeeCee stuff, or do you do Mac stuff now?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:58:58
Oh yeah, that's another thing. Being that it's a web hosting company, they deal with all OS's, though most of the customers will probably be on PC's. What actually helped me get the job is the fact that I've only recently attained a working knowledge of UNIX commands. They have a GUI for the end-users of the server, but internally they sometimes need to use the command line to fix stuff, so I explained that I'd been using Red Hat and BSD (okay so it's really just OSX) for the last year and knew enough commands to change permissions and move files around and junk.

So, this only further shows that if you are going to work in the tech support biz, LEARN UNIX COMMANDS!

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 May 2003 06:00:07Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  10:49:50
ooh, vacation.
a prospect on the horizon. I am going on vacation all summer in my hometown, so for a little while anyway, I'll be a canuck again :)

anyhoo, nice to see you back here.

btw, what is your avitar on fritter?

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  11:03:08
quote:

btw, what is your avitar on fritter?

It's a Scion xB, and the subject of another thread that I shall have to post one of these days...

Edited by - cinemafia on 23 May 2003 11:04:49Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  11:32:54
Welcom back Cinemo!

Glad to hear the new job prospects are looking good!
Hope it means we get more convo hear, a lot of the senior members have been quiet as of late, but it happened last year i the spring too, I think its the season...*ponders*

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  11:53:28
Good luck with the new job cine, good to have you back.

Now where'd I put that popcorn warmer.......

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  21:48:15
welcome back

if you are selling your 840av, and it's not too expensive, I'll buy it! (is that the one on your site that's painted nice and all?)

that sounds like a cool job!

I've been wanting to put a nix on a cheap x86 box (not my IW) for learning (that's why not IW)

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  22:21:53
Yeah, the 840AV is the one that's painted. Btw, cinemo, is it just me, or did you give that thing a recoat?

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  12:02:17
No, I haven't repainted yet, though I may consider doing so before I actually sell it. Cory...email me with an offer!

http://www.cinemafia.netGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  21:11:22
hmm... offer

I hate offering... I'm just so bad...and you being an adult, and me being a teenager, and that being such a loaded quadra....

I'll try to think of something... my PAF is like... well my PAF modification effords are going towards BigAssBoxLot recovery ops

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.