All Forums
 PowerBook
 Ethernet / Internet connectivity on Powerbook Duo
Author Topic  
q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  18:04:50
hey, I just got a powerbook duo 2300c with the dock. It all works good and has a 750mb HD and 28 MB RAM. The dock is a full DuoDock II with a Nubus ethernet card. I also bought a DuoMate 16SC which lets me have a SCSI port and some other things without the big dock. My question is is there a way for me to get ethernet on it without the huge dock? Does anyone know if a SCSI to ethernet adapter would work on the SCSI port of the DuoMate? I have heard of a Farallon product that would let me put ethernet on the serial port? Is this true? If I really had to, does anyone have a copy of that router software to allow TCP over appletalk hardware?
Logan

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:16:09
If you have a SCSI port, ethernet on SCSI should work. If there is an ethernet on serial solution, it is going to be _very_ slow.

My 2 cents.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  06:20:29
I had an ethernet MicroDock when I had my Duo 280c working, it's definitely the way to go, though they're pretty rare, I think I paid $35 for it on eBay, and when I sold it, it was for even more than that.

666th poster and 666th thread-creator
Lord of the Mac II Series
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
http://www.cinemafia.netGo to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  05:34:14
quote:
I have heard of a Farallon product that would let me put ethernet on the serial port?
Farallon iPrint is a little hardware bridge between ethernet and localtalk on phonenet. Other makers have similar products such as Sonic Systems' microPrint/2i and the Asante AsanteTalk. These are great for file sharing between older and newer Macs and for connecting old LocalTalk printers to ethernet.

Two downsides of these bridges is that they are slow, like emaq123 said, because they are limited to the speed of Localtalk (about 0.2 or 0.3 Mbps) and they don't seem to support TCP/IP packets so they don't help a older Mac get on the Internet.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  09:27:55
LocalTalk = 230kbps. A lot faster than a modem, but nowhere near as fast as ethernet.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  10:34:21
quote:

hey, I just got a powerbook duo 2300c with the dock . . . My question is is there a way for me to get ethernet on it without the huge dock? Does anyone know if a SCSI to ethernet adapter would work on the SCSI port of the DuoMate?

The Asante Micro EN/SC would work with a 68k Duo and a mini or micro dock, but it doesn't support the 2300c, IIRC. You'll need to be careful to make sure any SCSI<->ethernet solution you buy will be compatible with the 2300c specifically, including the etherdocks.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 24 May 2003 :  17:38:28
I think everyone is right about the serial port thing. Here is an old ebay auction for one of those Farallon adapters I was talking abouthttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2731046396&category=4610 Does anybody know if this supports TCP/IP or just localtalk? Also, I have hope for some Apple software that allows me to send TCP/IP through Appletalk, via a gateway software that Apple made some time ago. I think that this exists because there is an option in TCP/IP where you choose the network adapter called AppleTalk (MacIP). I think the software I am thinking about encapsulates IP packets in Appletalk and then unwraps them back into IP. Thus allowing existing users to use the same network for Appletalk to be used for IP. I realize this would be pretty slow, but it doesnt really matter since I only want to use the computer for a webterminal during commercial breaks. If anyone knows what that software is called, let me know and please tell me where I can download it. Does anyone know if it is available as a feature on Win2k server or Linux?

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 May 2003 :  22:17:02
I have NO idea what that is from the pics...

but if the description is correct... it basically converts the AAUI ports on the back of early powermacs, PB500 series, most quadras and... yeah... into TWO ethernet ports....

which means it's like a "happy lil' ethernet hub, powered by an ADB port"

but the description and piccies aren't clear enough and I'm too lazy to do a google

IIRC most duos don't have the aui port, but the dock DOES

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  03:47:14
Can't see why it wouldn't support TCP/IP.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

jruschme

USA
196 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  09:29:18
quote:

I think everyone is right about the serial port thing. Here is an old ebay auction for one of those Farallon adapters I was talking abouthttp://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2731046396&category=4610 Does anybody know if this supports TCP/IP or just localtalk?

Ah, the EtherWave Mac/PB adapter... I know it well.

Bottom line, it has two modes.

In default mode, it is a dumb EtherTalk/LocalTalk bridge. In that mode, it should also support MacIP (IP encapsulation), but requires a MacIP gateway elsewhere on the network.

There is also a Classic Networking driver for it. (Classic, not OT which means a max of 7.5.5.) This puts the adapter into an accelerated mode which gives higher thoughput and can support TCP/IP directly.

Q to q950- Does the DuoMate 16SC work with a 2300? It won't with a 280c. (Supposedly limited to 68030 Duos)

<<<john>>>Go to Top of Page

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  22:26:38
quote:

The Asante Micro EN/SC would work with a 68k Duo and a mini or micro dock, but it doesn't support the 2300c, IIRC. You'll need to be careful to make sure any SCSI<->ethernet solution you buy will be compatible with the 2300c specifically, including the etherdocks.

jt [

Hi JT.

I used that Asante EN/SC with my DuoDock 1 and a 2300c (it was a tight fit, the 2300c in the dock 1 without the top upgrade) and it worked fine. I also used it with the Apple MiniDock and it worked fine with 2300c. That was with OS 8.1 many years ago. The throughput seemed fine - it was still a lot faster than local talk on the mini.

The only etherdock I've found that never worked with the 2300c was the E-machines Etherdock. That one has some ROM that conflicts with the PPC. I could never get it to work at all with the 2300 - the other ports were fine though. Separately, the NewerTech Docks worked fine - that would be the ideal solution, but both pricey and very rare.

Go to Top of Page

q950

USA
135 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  11:49:45
Ok, so here is what I am going to do. I am going to dig out one of my old ENSC adapters and hook it up and just use that if it works. Otherwise I think I will IPnetswitch to route TCP/IP into MacIP and use an old quadra as the gateway. BTW jruschme, I have had no problems with my Duomate with the powerbook. Only thing is I havent really tested anything except the keyboard port and the video and I could seem to get anything to happen with the video port. Anyone know how to get the video port on the DuoMate 16SC to work. It doesnt show up in the monitors control panel or anything. No output from it either, not even a flicker.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 05 Jun 2003 :  21:32:10
quote:

I used that Asante EN/SC with my DuoDock 1 and a 2300c (it was a tight fit, the 2300c in the dock 1 without the top upgrade) and it worked fine. I also used it with the Apple MiniDock and it worked fine with 2300c. That was with OS 8.1 many years ago. The throughput seemed fine - it was still a lot faster than local talk on the mini.

The only etherdock I've found that never worked with the 2300c was the E-machines Etherdock. That one has some ROM that conflicts with the PPC. I could never get it to work at all with the 2300 - the other ports were fine though. Separately, the NewerTech Docks worked fine - that would be the ideal solution, but both pricey and very rare.

You used the DB-25 EN/SC on the Dock and MiniDock with an adapter or the HDI-30 Micro EN/SC?

BTW: just found a goodie!

www.linkclub.or.jp%2F%7Ehero%2FOldies%2FDragonFactory%2FSCSI.html" target="_blank">SCSI port hack!

check out the rest of the site!

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAF

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~hero/Oldies/DragonFactory/SCSI.html

http://www.linkclub.or.jp/~hero/Oldies/DragonFactory/SCSI_HDI30.html

Sorry about the mess, I couldn't bury the links to the translated pages!

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 05 Jun 2003 21:46:13Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  09:06:39
The best way to check out those links (unless you can read Japanese) is to go to this post over on Fritter, the babelfished links work over there.

Duo SCSI Port Hack

jt .
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 Jun 2003 :  09:18:52
Interesting!

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

Bugsi
Starting Member

USA
38 Posts
Posted - 26 Jun 2003 :  15:06:26
The Newer Technologies Ultradock provides ethernet, and is a lot smaller than a full dock, but bigger than the Apple MiniDock (which doesn't have ethernet, ARGH!). Still, it works well with my 2300c on a shelf. They're hard to find though, and may still command a rather high price, even on eBay.

SE, Classic II, SE/30, IIcx, IIci, IIx, IIfx, LCIII => Q605 (the mega-upgrade)
PB190cs, Duo2300c
PM6100, PM8100, PM8500, Beige G3, 17" G4 iMacGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.