All Forums
 Lounge
 Why won't my beige G3 work?
Author Topic  
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  16:41:42
Hi all. I just got the ROM DIMM in the mail yesterday and fired up the G3 for a test run. Guess what: no chime! I'm thinking it's probably the regulator, but I'm not sure. I've heard of those going out before. I know the power supply works for sure and the jumper is set to PS2 because it's an ATX PSU, so nothing wrong there. The reason why I'm thinking it's the regulator is because it seems like there's no power to the CPU. When it's on and my finger is resting on the core, it stays cold like it's not getting any power. I know it's not the speaker either becuase it was working when it was in the LCIII. It's also not the volume, because it had no PRAM battery when I got it and so the volume would be at the default level. I tried reseating the ROM DIMM, RAM DIMMS, PERCH card, CPU, regulator and even the PRAM battery, all to no avail.

Could it also be because I have the speaker plugged in to the mohterboard and not into the back of the personality card? But that doesn't explain why the CPU is still cold.

If anyone with more experience with these things could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIe

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:05:25
Definately check the voltage regulator. When i was back at the Shop, I repaired a copule of Beigies that had dead voltage regulators before, and they do die easily.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  18:24:41
Thanks a lot, ML5! I'll try getting a new VR and seeing if that fixes the problem. It could've been broken when I defluxed it. There was a lot of flux on there when I got it and the presence of flux sometimes causes premature failure, but it could have gotten ESD or something while I was handling it. Or maybe it was broken from the time I received the mobo. Who knows. I'll give it a try.

Thanks.Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  18:35:15
the machine will get you to the "bong" noise even if ram, zif, and dimms are all bad, so its gotta be the regulator. Then again if perch is bad, and all of the above are bad, you'd never know. But i doubt that is goign to happen...

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  18:56:24
Hey - Thanks a lot Da Penguin! Wow. That would mean that the "bong" is totally processor independant. iWonder how that works. What about the ROM DIMM? Isn't the "bong" stored on the ROM?Go to Top of Page
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  19:01:08
That also makes me think that the little pin in the audio out jack on the PERCH could be stuck making it think that external speakers are plugged in and thereby disabling the internal speaker. Too bad all my headphones are packed in boxes!

That still wouldn't explain the processor being cold, though, which is why it's probably the VRM.

Edited by - The Lightning Stalker on 21 May 2003 19:01:44Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  19:43:28
quote:

Hey - Thanks a lot Da Penguin! Wow. That would mean that the "bong" is totally processor independant. iWonder how that works. What about the ROM DIMM? Isn't the "bong" stored on the ROM?

Yep, the startup sound is stored in ROM.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:08:09
heh... and if the ROM doesn't work, the tone won't sound...

be careful when switching speakers between mac models, that's what killed me Quadra!

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  04:10:40
The sound can't be stored in rom (well it might be STORED there), because when I had no perch in my one beige for a while, it would give me no noise, including startup "bong." Weird...

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  04:27:12
Of course it had no sound! The PERCH card has the sound chip on it!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

boredomconquersall

Canada
613 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  14:09:39
well, with my mac, I had a bad PERCH card, and I got corrupted video and no sound, and since the CPU appears to be staying cold (meaning there is no, or very little voltage going through the processor) and your not getting anything, I would have to say the voltage regualtor is the problem. one more thing, is the regulator from royal electronics, or someone else; because if it's from royal, you should have replaced it anyways, but if you put in a G4 upgrade it would have been fried, and you would have had to buy a new one, putting you out like 400$ or whatever they are now. by the way, I have just found that deep discharging the lithium ion batteries of powerbooks after long periods of storage gets rid of a severe dropoff that happens, because before, when i got my powerbook, the battery would hit 75%, and then rush to zero for some reason, but now it goes steady all the way through and lasts for 2 hours, but it'll need a recell eventually.

THNx]
s";fnmwoi!!"

10000Th poster and 1000Th AND 1500Th topic creator in lounge.

and remember, if you try and install mac OS 10.2 on an early G3, you will go insane, and aquire a thirst for blood!Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  18:14:45
Okay, guess what peple - it wasn't the voltage regulator. It turns out that there a little jumpers on the motherboard that set the CPU speed. Well, my motherboard didn't have any. So, I put some jumpers on there and it works!

Thanks for all the information anyway. I did learn some things that I didn't know before.

quote:
The sound can't be stored in rom

Yeah it is. When the ROM is out, it doesn't bong as expected.

quote:
be careful when switching speakers between mac models, that's what killed me Quadra!

Well that would explain why the sound is so soft! Does anyone know the proper impedence of the beige G3's speaker?

Thanks!Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  18:19:14
Oh, and the other thing is, when I boot the OS X.2 CD, it says Resetting the SCSI bus and then it says it can't access the SCSI bus like 5 times and then gives me the slash. Could this have to do with the LaCie external CD-ROM I'm using? Because it's not communist, I mean, Apple.

Yeah, yeah, I know. OS X on an early G3 and you'll go insane, blah blah blah, but I just had to try anyway!Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.