Lounge
 Wireless Internet Access
Author Topic  
Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  01:20:15
Hi,

How would you achieve a wireless link to the telephone socket with one of the brand new eMacs. I know about Airport Extreme, but it is to expensive for my blood.

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  03:59:43
Is it jus the emac you want wireless? or is it another machine?

If it is the first of the two, than you need a basestation with a modem at the tele jack. If it is the latter of the two, as long as the emac has a wirless card, you can set it to be a "base station" of sorts.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  05:07:35
I can't remember if the eMac has airport extreme or regular airport. The best way to save money in on the base station, linksys and Dlink makesome good stuff, some with more some with fewer features than Apples own.

On the computer end you also have a few options a USB adaptor (about the same price as apple own cards and probably pretty crappy) or ethernet to wireless bridges, no idea how much they cost but you could use them on anything.

Airport extreme is just apples name for 802.11g networking, regular airport is 802.11b (this is off the top of my head so the numbers might be wrong) they are all interchangable but obviously with a mixture of protocols you can only go as fast as the slowest link (either is plenty for internet access though).

Personally I think it's a complete waste of money if you are only doing it to get rid of one cable though. I've a few computers in regular use and I'm seriously considering it but it's still hard to justify the expense just to get rid of a few cables. If you plan on getting a laptop that is when it will come in to it's own however.

Personally I'd buy regular apple airport cards (whichever is appropriate for your machine) and a 3rd party wireless router/basestation

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  05:18:19
Or you could do what I do with my iMac: Go to Silly Sollys, get a loooooooooooooooooooooong telephone extension cable, and then run it from the phone line to the eMac. A 10 metre jobbie did the trick for me and cost about $6.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  10:00:48
if you wanted to jump through hoops when it comes to internet access, there is still a company that makes acoustic couplers for fellytones. use a cordless phone for that, and hack it so the on/off button is outside the coupler's kiss. You may get lower speed, but it makes for cheap wireless connection on a budget.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

Fedorenko

Australia
463 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  16:27:11
I know about the good old extension cable, thats what I have been using for the link between the telephone line and the PB180c, a 15m cord just makes it. The problem is that is hardley a permenant solution, so unless I get another phone line hacked into my room, which would probably cost me an arm and a leg, my only choice is to go wireless. eMacs defionately use the 'g' wireless specification so if anyone knows of the cheapest, crapyest, basestation that has an ibuilt modem and compatable with airport, let me know...

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.