Lounge
 Favourite OS for Macs.
Author Topic  
danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  11:47:04
OK now we're in a bit of a stable time with OSs, what with OSX being out for a fair while, I have to ask...

What's your favourite OS to run on a mac?

Any answers are good =). If you run multiple ones for a reason, hey, pick multiple ones and give your reasons. They don't have to be Apple's own releases, anything will do. There's quite a few out there too, OSX, 9.x, 8.6, 8.1, 7.5, 7.1, 6.x, pre-6, AIX, A/UX, Linux 68k, Linux PPC, BeOS, FreeBSD, more, more and more!

I'm sure if you have a favourite that's not listed you'll know what it is :P.

For me, OSX on the iMac is the go. It's my main OS and I spend 90% of my time in it. I do have OS9 on a separate partition, and Linux PPC (debian) on another cos I'm an OS junkie =). I used to dart back into 9 from time to time to reminisce about the speed the iMac once had, but since the last few releases, don't find any difference. I love unixy machines, so that keeps me in OSX.

As for the older Quadras, 7.1 does the trick most of the time. Something about efficiency & simplicity stuff, that keeps me going "whoa" at how well it runs on one. Of course, the command line addict in me has to have a 68k linux box. Y'all know the story, http://www.danamania.com/605/ :).

That's my story. Tell yours!
dana

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  11:59:48
I find that I use 8.1 and 9.1 the most for my 68k/ppc equipment. I usually bump the memory and hard drives of my machines up quite a bit so these 2 os's run fairly well for me.

Go to Top of Page

Kady Mae

USA
261 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  12:14:03
OS X hands down. Stability.

Though I am going to give YDL a try.

68K's liberated: 4
68Ks adopted to loving homes: 2
PowerMacs adopted: 1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  12:21:10
Well OSX is for newer machines only, even upgraded PCI macs and early g3's run it slowly.

Maybe you guys should ask what people favorite OS is and what hardware they run it on Computer/Memory/HD/special hardware

Q950/120mb/2gb 8X OS 8.1 (soon to be A/UX 3)

Q840av/128mb/1gb+18gb 8X/ OS 8.1 (might do 7.6.1) Has Radius SpigotProAv

PM8500/448MB/8GB IDE 40x cdrom (OS 9.1)

PM7500/256MB/40gb +60GB IDE, 8x SCSI (OS 9.1/7.6.1 for Videovision Telecast Video Capture setup)

Edited by - Unknown_K on 20 May 2003 12:22:37Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  12:30:47
On lightweight boxes, system 6.0.8 is the way to go. On bigger boxes a fatter os is nice. I use 7.0 and 7.1 on 030 and 040 boxes. My daughter's Quadra 630 has 8.1 on it. I'm wondering if 7.5 or 7.6 might be better.

I really don't have any boxes that I see a need for OS8.x on. My G3 runs OS 9.1. The two big boxes in the house run 10.2.x

For me, my favorite MacOS is one that runs fast and clean on a computer. Sort of a right tool for the job type of thing. My PB5300 is running 7.6.1. Still trying to see if I want to change that.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:41:47
OS X, by far, but only 10.1 and 10.2. I really didnt even like to use any prior versions. Since im on OS X all the time it is my favorite. My second favorite, for my 68ks is 7.6. It is a nice upgrade from earlier versions and runs all 68k software well.

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  13:59:16
generally the OS that the machine came with, unless it serves a specific purpose that requires an update (ie, iTunes on an 8500 likes 9.1 )

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  14:16:15
8.1 here. Most stable OS I have ever ran and it is old enough to predate steel windows and all the other painful interface stuff they added in the newer versions.

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
Macs Liberated:22Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  14:34:22
7.0.1•/Rocketware running on the Radius Rocket 33 in the old IIx was my favorite.

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  16:25:27
iMac 333: OS X. (For obvious reasons!!!)

PowerBook 1400c/166: Mac OS 9.1. I feel this is the best OS for it, as it's still quite recent, and performs well enough on this machine.

PowerMac 8100/110AV: Mac OS 9. I haven't tried putting 9.1 on here yet, but 9.0 actually runs quite nicely, compared to what everyone else says. I ttakes a few minutes to boot up, but once it's going, its actually pretty zippy. I also have two copies of Copland, one that works but is very crashy, and one that don't work.

Quadra 700: Mac OS 8.1. This is what i believe the perfect OS for '040s with at least 20 megs of RAM. It's fast and modern, and lets me do what i wanna do. Sometime though i wanna load this thing with A/UX.

LC630: Well, this DID run 8.1, but now its awaiting a HD transplant....the old 6 gigger crapped out.

LC475: This runs Mac OS 8.1, for reasons I stated above

LCIII: This runs System 7.6.1. It has 20 megs of RAM, which is just perfect for System 7.6.1, which is pseudo-modern and does what i wannna do.

LCII: System 6.0.8. This is my Retro Gaming Machine.

Classic II: System 6.0.8. This is another Retro Gaming Machine.

512ke (formerly original Macintosh, but still has original Macintosh case): This runs System 6.0.8.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  16:44:02
My favorite OS to run on a Mac would have to be A/UX on 68k Macs, BSD on early PowerMacs, and OS X on G3 Macs and newer. The classic Mac OS SUCKS! It's really slow when you run several things at once, almost nothing open-source will compile on it, and it's not very stable at all. The interface isn't too consistent, and lots of stuff (like window shading) feels like afterthoughts. It's really clumsy with lots of windows open at once. Once they release Finale that's native for OS X, I'll get rid of OS 9 entirely. It's a really crappy OS, and I dread having to use it.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  16:55:18
I like 7.1.1 (7.1 Pro) on my old boxes, because it's the most mature version of System 7.

I like 9.2.2 on anything that can't run OS X, or whatever the highest version is that runs on them (that means 9.1 for my beloved PowerBook 1400's).

I like OS X 10.2.6 the best, because it allows me to do just about anything, most of the time better an dmore convenient than my co-workers who are stuck on Windows 2000 Pro. :-P

I like NetBSD on my UNIX boxen.

IRIX runs not too shabby on my SGI's.

Solaris is okay for the old Suns.

A/UX is fun to lolly about with for a bit.

NewtonOS rules for handhelds. People in the office are still amazed that I'm actually running a web server on that thing 24/7. With built-in UPS, no less!

Symbian is getting there, could be up there with NewtonOS someday, but a long ways to go.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
who | grep -i blonde | date
cd ~; unzip; touch; strip; finger
mount; gasp; yes; uptime; umount
sleepGo to Top of Page

Da Penguin

USA
1094 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  17:42:42
I really love OS X, but that is only because it runs so well on this machine. The iMac (rev a), ran crappy with 10.1, which my mum didn't like, so i never got to install jag on it.

On my beige G3 server (233 Mhz), I am currently running gentoo, and it is quite amazing! All of the unix/linux flavours nowadays are just plain cool to fiddle with, and I chose this one because it is up-and-coming and got a lot of good reviews.

~The Penguin

**| Want free 68kmla email? Drop me a line |**
| Captain, Intelligence Operations / Space Cowboy |
| "The choice has been made, but now you must understand it" |Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  17:55:54
quote:

My favorite OS to run on a Mac would have to be A/UX on 68k Macs, BSD on early PowerMacs, and OS X on G3 Macs and newer. The classic Mac OS SUCKS! It's really slow when you run several things at once, almost nothing open-source will compile on it, and it's not very stable at all. The interface isn't too consistent, and lots of stuff (like window shading) feels like afterthoughts. It's really clumsy with lots of windows open at once. Once they release Finale that's native for OS X, I'll get rid of OS 9 entirely. It's a really crappy OS, and I dread having to use it.

Spoken like a true Unix and command line junkie. And that's not a bad thing. And since I don't know you I have no idea if that is true. It's just what came to mind when I read your comment.

That said, a couple of comments...

1. Slow running multiple things - True, but I can work fine with one program at a time on old macs. It doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

2. Can't compile OSS. - True again. For me, I just haven't had the need. I guess we just use our machines differently.

quote:

I'll get rid of OS 9 entirely. It's a really crappy OS, and I dread having to use it.

Is this your opinion of all classic MacOS? I spend most of my time in versions 6.x and 7.x. The more I use them, the more I respect them. I don't spend much time in 8.x but what little I have feels like feature bloat to me. 9.x also feels bloated, but once running on a decent box works ok. I do have to say that I like the bare bones look and feel of 6.x. But that's what we have multiple OSs, so everyone can get what they like.

emaq123

oldmacman

USA
713 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  18:28:30
quote:
Is this your opinion of all classic MacOS?

For what I use the computer for, yes. The classic Mac OS does a great job with what it was designed for: running one application at a time with only Apple hardware. Any drivers for hardware (extensions) are really just low-level patches to the system, which sometimes work and sometimes don't. Running MIDI on the classic Mac OS is a bitch, because you have to install some other software package to support the MIDI interface, which has its own quirks. If the MIDI driver dies for whatever reason, there goes the system. With OS X, there are frameworks for adding additional drivers that don't run the risk of bringing down the whole system if one of them crashes. And the bad multitasking is flat out unexcusable. In everyday use, you have to run multiple applications. For example, typing a paper while looking something up in an encyclopedia and finding a definition in the dictionary. Or even keeping Finale and Apple CD Audio Player open at the same time to transcribe a solo. That just stalls the classic Mac OS, especially on slower machines.

And don't blame it on older hardware either. NeXT workstations with 25 or 33 MHz 68040 chips multitask a heck of a lot better than your average System 7 Quadra.

And yes, I might describe myself as a UNIX command line junkie.

Official 68kMLA Music and NeXT Expert
Macs Liberated: SE (2), LC, IIsi, PB 145b, Quadra 700 (2), LC 575, 6100 (2), PB 5300, PowerMac 5400/200, Performa 6400/180
PCs liberated from Windoze: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  19:59:37
I enjoy 10.2.4 on my PowerBook... because my internet is too slow to download updates to 10.2.6....

My Quadra840av ran OS 8.1, it was fast and very reliable....

I want to put A/UX back onto the IIsi, but I use 7.5 or 7.6 on there... as it has enough RAM to run lots with 7.6, and still stay reliable and fast.

I use 10.2.4 on the iMac 233.
I don't actually use it, Grandpa uses it.
It's not on 10.2.5 or .6 because I am not there to update it for him... (but hey... .2.4 works well eh?)

My PowerBook 100 doesn't run an OS

My 7300 runs 9.1, because I don't have a 9.0 CD and BeOS isn't enough yet to meet my needs.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  20:24:49
quote:

I enjoy 10.2.4 on my PowerBook... because my internet is too slow to download updates to 10.2.6....

My Quadra840av ran OS 8.1, it was fast and very reliable....

I want to put A/UX back onto the IIsi, but I use 7.5 or 7.6 on there... as it has enough RAM to run lots with 7.6, and still stay reliable and fast.

I use 10.2.4 on the iMac 233.
I don't actually use it, Grandpa uses it.
It's not on 10.2.5 or .6 because I am not there to update it for him... (but hey... .2.4 works well eh?)

My 7300 runs 9.1, because I don't have a 9.0 CD and BeOS isn't enough yet to meet my needs.

Official MLA TourGuide

POut 6.0.8L on the 100

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  20:38:38
I'm going to put 7.0.1 on it when I get it working... mostly because of the lack of 7.1 disks

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  21:35:01
quote:

quote:
Is this your opinion of all classic MacOS?

For what I use the computer for, yes. <snip nice info on computer use.>

And don't blame it on older hardware either. NeXT workstations with 25 or 33 MHz 68040 chips multitask a heck of a lot better than your average System 7 Quadra.

And yes, I might describe myself as a UNIX command line junkie.

Thanks for the point of view. You do have a point about writing paper using computer based research tools. I hadn't run into that. I also wasn't aware of the MIDI issues. I do understand the basic design differences between MacOS and Unix based systems. I also understand the power of black hardware, having a couple of pieces myself. To be honest, I never considered a Mac as my primary machine until OS X. Still, I have to say MacOS has a lot going for it. We have a Quadra 630 that runs edu-games for my kids and it does it without complaint. I also don't have to go monkey with it on a regular basis because the kids did something. I love the fact that I can hand a 5 year old a CD meant for the Dos/Win3.1/Mac class and tell her to have fun. Just try that on an old Dos/Win3.1 box. Since I converted my family to Macs, the amount of time I spend fixing their boxes has dropped to almost zero.

emaq123

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  01:49:10
I use os 8.1 on my 840av * on my 7600/132

I cant lie if there is one thing I would change it would be apple os personally it is a pile of pants!

I like GUI.

I have tried MagicMac, I didn't get on well with it.
I tried an atari st emulator & that truly was a pile of pants, maybe I should give it more of a chance?

My aim is to get a pc or pc emulation or a pc card & run Gemulator, I can't see anything else making me happy.

Mac os is slow, has poor communication with regaurds to errors, It is only stable until you try to do too much so in other words don't bother trying to do too much, pretend it isn't multitasking & run only one application at a time! well in my own experience I look out for trouble if I run 2 apps & expect trouble if I run any more than 2 apps.

I guess the only fairly positive thing I could say is that it is fairly pretty. No I would also say that the Control panels & the Apple menu are good also.

cli's are generally evil, until they are backed up with the option of GUI at which point they can become usefull.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  02:33:37
quote:
quote:
POut 6.0.8L on the 100

A PowerBook 100 flies with System 6 on it. But I still run 7.1.1 on mine, to get the little System 7 benefits.

Once I put Mac OS 7.5.5 on it, with QuickTime 3 and everything... Pretty much only good for proof of concept, especially on my 4/20 configuration. But 7.1.1 is very doable, I find.

On my Portable (2/40), I usually run 6.0.8. It just seems to fit better with the overall feel of the machine.

quote:
I'm going to put 7.0.1 on it when I get it working... mostly because of the lack of 7.1 disks

Pssst...

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
sleepGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  03:43:40
quote:
Once I put Mac OS 7.5.5 on it, with QuickTime 3 and everything... Pretty much only good for proof of concept, especially on my 4/20 configuration. But 7.1.1 is very doable, I find.

How? No version of QuickTime has ever been compatible with machines with a 68000 CPU.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  06:23:12
quote:

quote:

How? No version of QuickTime has ever been compatible with machines with a 68000 CPU.

Give your dreams a chance.? - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

I have quicktime 4 on my 68k slow as a dog though.

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  06:41:34
Yeah, same here.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  07:25:34
It may even have been QuickTime 2.5 (it was a long time ago), but it sure did work.

Maybe because the PowerBook 100 is the only 68000 Mac ever with Color QuickDraw? I dunno...

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
sleepGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  07:29:53
Interesting. Did you have to modify anything (like changing the Mac's GetStalt ID or installing Pseudo040) to get it to work?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  12:11:24
Nope. Installed right from the images that are available on Apple.com.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
sleepGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  16:58:57
Very interesting. Now I'm starting to really wish that my 100 still worked!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:30:47
quote:

Very interesting. Now I'm starting to really wish that my 100 still worked!

Mine works, but it is running on AA batteries right now since the AC adapter died. I've got quicktime 2.5. I'll have to try it on the pb100.

emaq123

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  18:07:34
How much uptime do you get from a single set of AAs?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  19:52:26
heh... I'll have to get my PB100 working... tomorrow we'll be bug-bombing the house, and i'll be in the trailer cleaning and stuff... I'll see if I can get the 'Book and fix it (or something)

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:20:52
Cool! Hope you get it working!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  20:49:16
yeah... if I get it working I even have a set of OS 7.6 disks (not that they'll work with the PB 100 )

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  21:31:28
quote:

How much uptime do you get from a single set of AAs?

I use two sets of four 1500mA AAs in series. Without trying to save power, I can get over an hour. I still haven't benched time based on saving power. The eight AAs can fit in the battery bay. I'm still working a good holder for them.

emaq123

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  21:59:46
Very nice. I hope you're using rechargables!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:21:18
hey, that would be so cool to do... with a 2 hour bus ride (no longer though, schools out here!) I'd like to have a few sets of rechargables to use to play with the PB100 on the way home

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:28:59
Who wouldn't?

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  22:31:22
What would be really cool is a nice little surge protector sized box that had wonderful little JUNK in side that let it "eternally" "generate" electricity...

sounds like a little something called "Eternal Generator"

.ME drools about dragging out the Mac IIci workstation setup ont he schoolbus

Official MLA TourGuide
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.