Balloon Help
 I have these old disks......
Author Topic  
Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2003 :  21:42:11
Hello all!

This one is a little weird (which questions of mine aren't):

I bought this old game for a my Mac Classic on E-bay. Now this game came out about 17 years ago, so the disks are probably bad. But it kind of works and the guy I bought it from said that it worked fine before he sent it.

Well, it's a point and click game called Uninvited and it's two disks. You put disk 1 in, and it does thing. But when it asks for disk 2, the computer doesn't eject disk 1.

When I boot the computer with disk 1, it ejects eventually and I can put in disk 2 but then I get the bomb and it crashes or quits.

So here is what I'm thinking (realizing that I'm probably 100% wrong)
I can't copy the disk into the hard drive. It won't let me do it. Now, I'm thinking that previous owner, either erased or added some of his sys files to the disks. Because it just doesn't look right.

A disk is supposed to have:

The resource fork and the executable file!? Or something like that? I mean I'm looking at empty folders and stuff that doesn't look right.

Sorry to bother everyone, I'm sure it's a lost cause but I'm just trying to save it. Why not?

Thanks anyway!

Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  18:55:54
Maybe the disks are just bad.
If you still can't get the disks to work, maybe you can download the game from the net.

Hrmmm. Sorry I couldnt be much help.

Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  19:34:04
You don't need much to boot and play a game if it is system 6, If i could get my hands on the game I could make you some disks, any chanse of getting the disks into basilisk II on your PC then uploading them somewere?

-danny
You! What PLANET is this!
-- McCoy, "The City on the Edge of Forever", stardate 3134.0
-------
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
68k Macs Liberated: 3Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  21:58:38
quote:

You don't need much to boot and play a game if it is system 6, If i could get my hands on the game I could make you some disks, any chanse of getting the disks into basilisk II on your PC then uploading them somewere?

Why not just image the disks with DiskCopy and then shoot them to the net? Assuming that the disks don't have hard errors, that should work. If they do, then I don't know how you''ll image them anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  06:25:54
If i remember corrctly all he has is that one mac, so basilisk 2 would have to be the option.

-danny
-------

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  08:29:28
WOW! You guys are good! I honestly thought that I was either going to get a reply of flamed laughter if any reply at all. Thanks for replying!

I realize that the disks could just be bad but y'all have seemed to come up with alternatives that never crossed my mind (because my mind wouldn't have understood it anyway) that are definately worth trying!

In answer to the mac question. I have two mac classics. One with an SE drive; both runnng sys 6.0.8. I couldn't get the game to load on either one. Again the dude that sold them to me said they worked, so I'm trying to be the optimist first before admiting that maybe I just got ripped off or to be fair, they could have been damaged in the mail.

I don't know if two mac classics helps?

Now that Baslisk II option, what is that? (Once again, I have a PC that I do all my web stuff with).

Thanks again gentlemen!

spyswitch00

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  08:43:43
quote:

If i remember corrctly all he has is that one mac, so basilisk 2 would have to be the option.

But if he has a mac with diskcopy and can image the disks, then he can transfer the images to a pc floppy so that the images could be emailed. Also, if the disks are 800k, then a mac will be needed to read the disks anyway. As far as I know, all mac classics have a superdrive floppy in them.

emaq123

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  08:51:26
quote:

WOW! You guys are good! I honestly thought that I was either going to get a reply of flamed laughter if any reply at all. Thanks for replying!

Laughing at someone with a problem doesn't help. I'll help if I can.

quote:

In answer to the mac question. I have two mac classics. One with an SE drive; both runnng sys 6.0.8. I couldn't get the game to load on either one. Again the dude that sold them to me said they worked, so I'm trying to be the optimist first before admiting that maybe I just got ripped off or to be fair, they could have been damaged in the mail.

Is there a chance that the game requires system 7? Do you have any info on what the game wants?

quote:

Now that Baslisk II option, what is that? (Once again, I have a PC that I do all my web stuff with).

Baslisk II is a mac emulator for PCs. Someone else could help you set that up. I use vmac (another emulator) for when I need one.

So I guess the question is, how much do we know about what the game wants to run? What tools do you have for getting the disk images on the net?

emaq123

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  10:20:21
Hey! That's true. I'm afraid that a lot of my old habit stem from being a PC user for such a long time. I somtimes forget that Mac people are very different from PC people (sorry, if this is insulting!) I've been flamed at before by PC people (but I can take it.) That's how one learns right!

Ok, on with it; don't want to waste your time.

That's a good question about what system the game wants to run in. I have no idea. What I do know, is that I was playing this game with a buddy of mine back in 86 (that what the disks say too) on a mac plus. Was sys 7 out then?

I guess I could download Baslisk II. So I guess I just put the mac disks into the PC while Basklisk II is running and I can make a copy of the image from there, or I have to disk image them first?

If I can't find my way with Baslisk II....

Then I would be totally in just mailing the disks to someone (Danny, that would be great). I'm willing to eat all costs to get this thing to work (I know, I know, I'm nuts..) I probably just need somone to tell me that the disks are bad. If someone wants to chance it, name your price.

Thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  11:11:58
Are these 800k disks or 1.4m ones?

What I would try to do is:

Copy the disks with DiskCopy
Check the disk with Norton or another disk tool for errors
If no errors are found, assume the disks are good.
copy the disks to a pc floppy and then email to someone to look at. ( I will)

If you get errors with disk copy, then the disks maybe bad. Then you have to decide if it is worth the risk to try to repair them since the repair could make the disk worse.

emaq123

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  14:40:49
Great!

Now, is disk copy something I would do on my mac classic? I'm not sure if I have something like that in there. I assume:

That's it's either on my system additions disk
or it's a separate thing I have to get/download

because:

I've tried putting the contents of the disk into my HD but it won't even let me do that. It says the disk could not be coppied. I'm guessing that this is a typical anti pirating thing software companies do? Or is this an indication that the disk is bad.

Again, it looks like I get farther when I boot the computer with the disk in there. It at least spits out disk one and asks for disk two.

If I just click on the game Icon without after the computer is up and running, it just holds on to disk one without spitting it out. All the while requesting disk two. I'm rambling I realize.

the size of disk 1: 388,096 with 379K on disk
disk 2: 400,384 with 391K on disk

don't know if this helps but that's what I got when I did a get info.

thanks again!

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  15:31:20
quote:

Now, is disk copy something I would do on my mac classic? I'm not sure if I have something like that in there. I assume:

It's a utility. I don't know what OS versions it may have shipped with but it can be downloaded from Apple.

quote:

I've tried putting the contents of the disk into my HD but it won't even let me do that. It says the disk could not be coppied. I'm guessing that this is a typical anti pirating thing software companies do? Or is this an indication that the disk is bad.

Yes/No. Yes/No. From here I can only guess. Both of your choices are possible.

quote:

the size of disk 1: 388,096 with 379K on disk
disk 2: 400,384 with 391K on disk

don't know if this helps but that's what I got when I did a get info.

If you boot your mac from the hard disk and put the floppy in and open it, it should say how much space is used and how much is left. If anyone has a better method, please throw it out.

Both of these disks are under 400k. They may be 400k disks. No pc will read them if that is the case.

Do you have a working copy of stuffit on the macs? It would be nice if you could wrap the disk images in a .sit or .hqx file. If not I think I could work around that.

emaq123

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  17:12:07
Yeah. Those are definately 400k disks. No PC will be able to read those, even under Basilisk II. Don't know why....

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Spyswitch00

86 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  19:28:15
Emaq would you be interested in me just shipping the disks out to you? I could pay you for your effort. It they're bad just can them. But if you could restore them I'm willing to pay for your expertise. Just a thought. I just seem to be under equiped for the task.

Thanks!

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  21:38:11
quote:

Emaq would you be interested in me just shipping the disks out to you? I could pay you for your effort. It they're bad just can them. But if you could restore them I'm willing to pay for your expertise. Just a thought. I just seem to be under equiped for the task.

Thanks!

Your choice. I can walk your through getting disk images on the net or you can send me the disks. I'm in the Portland, OR, USA area. If you want to go that route, drop me an email.

emaq123

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2003 :  20:47:14
Hey, everyone...

I've got Spyswitch's disks. Here is what I've found out so far.

1. Disks are 400k. Disk one is marked "Macintosh 512K"
2. Disks have Mindscape logo.
3. Disks and game seem fine on a Plus
4. Disk 2 crashes on a Classic
5. Disk 1 crashes on a SE/30

Anyone got any ideas? The only thing I see is that Macs with a Superdrive have problems. What about copy protection?

emaq123

catsdorule

Canada
1627 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2003 :  20:52:46
To be fairly honest i'm at a loss, lets see... What is a minimum os the classic can boot? What os are you running when you play the game?

-danny
-------

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 29 May 2003 :  21:17:11
quote:

To be fairly honest i'm at a loss, lets see... What is a minimum os the classic can boot? What os are you running when you play the game?

I think you've got it...

Classics require 6.0.7 or better according to Apple. Disk 1 shows 7 files, no System or Finder. It does have the game program and MiniFinder V 1

I'm not sure what the version the OS is.

emaq123

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  06:22:57
You've probably already tried this, but try 'em all on an early system such as System 3 on the Plus. Some of them might be too old for a Classic with System 6.x.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  07:01:23
quote:

You've probably already tried this, but try 'em all on an early system such as System 3 on the Plus. Some of them might be too old for a Classic with System 6.x.

That's the thing, the game does run fine on the Plus. So I'm guessing the game needs a machine that can run pre-System 6.

emaq123

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  07:04:00
Probably. I have a few games that came with my Macintosh (yes, original 1984 Macintosh) like that. They don't run on my Classic II under System 6.0.8L, or my LCII under the real System 6.0.8.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  18:46:48
Why go through all of this hassle with DiskCopy and Basilisk when you can just download Uninvited (assuming it'll run on the Classic II)

http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=164

--------------------
master of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™ and figure-head of the Peoples' PDS Republic
--------------------

Edited by - FireWire is fast on 30 May 2003 19:09:42Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 30 May 2003 :  20:56:22
quote:

Why go through all of this hassle with DiskCopy and Basilisk when you can just download Uninvited (assuming it'll run on the Classic II)

http://mac.the-underdogs.org/index.php?show=game&id=164

Nice spot!! I hadn't looked for it on the net yet. We're trying to get it to run on a Classic, not a Classic II but it is probably the same problem. It looks like the original disks run on pre-system 6 boxes. I've grabbed the underdogs file and I'll check it out.

emaq123

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.