68k Hacks
 Color Classic->6500 Hack: Help Needed!
Author Topic  
SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2003 :  22:42:13
Hi there folks!
Well, the poor little CC that I bought a few months back (the one that got smashed up in the mail) has finally caught my interest again, and I've begun my attepted upgrade to full-on 6500/275.
However, I've encountered a couple of things that, while I'm sure they're addressed in all of the various, are still plauging me.  
First, I've spent the last hour or so extracting the motherboard connector from the 6500 that's being canabalized for the project (man, those 6x00 cases are built like tanks!), and I'm getting to the point where I want to mount that connector in the CC.  My question is regarding the part of the 6500 mobo connector that the analog board will plug into - it's totally different the the CC's!  What am I supposed to do at this point?  Am I supposed to somehow mate the analog connector from the CC to the mobo connector from the 6500?  I'm a little lost, and the FAQ's don't seem to be making it any clearer.
Oh, and I know that at some point, I'm gonna need to hack the mobo chassis so it'll all fit inside the outter casing, but, at the moment (due to the damage inflicted by the Post), I don't have an outter casing, so I'm not gonna sweat it.
Okay, any info you kind and smart folks can provide will be most appreciated!
Thanks,
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
TiBook G4/500, "Difference Engine"
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2003 :  22:58:16
Other than the fact that it has no top, was there any structural damage to the CC back case, like any clips being broken or anything? If there's not, you should just be able to use the one you have for the time being until you can get a new case. Sure, it'll look ugly, but the main point is that it will work.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 18 May 2003 :  22:59:55
Btw, i th ought you might like to know that I don't think that those FAQs make much sense either. Either they don't make much sense, or I'm just dumb...i dunno.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2003 :  08:53:46
quote:
Other than the fact that it has no top, was there any structural damage to the CC back case, like any clips being broken or anything?

Actually, the damage is even more intensive then the pictures I took show - I'm still picking out tiny bits of plastic shrapnel from the CC's guts. The rear casing was pretty much a complete loss, and I've since tossed it. Also, the front casing (the part the CRT is mounted to) is damaged as well, with a crack going all the way through the case, near the lower-left corner of the CRT. Because of this, I'm having to be extra careful when I move the beastie around, for fear of the front casing totally coming undone. If I'm able to find one, I'd sure love to replace the whole case, front and back, but for the time being, I'll just work with what I can.
quote:
Btw, i th ought you might like to know that I don't think that those FAQs make much sense either. Either they don't make much sense, or I'm just dumb...i dunno.

Nope, you're not dumb - many of those docs were written in Japanese, and most certainly have lost something in the translation. The "Classic Mac Upgrading" craze has been much bigger in Japan then over here, so a lot of the info you'll find on the Web will be filled with some of the best Engrish you're likely to see! This makes for funny reading, but confusing instructions.

Well, a kind guy by the name of Stuart Bell has partially answered my question, over on the AppleFritter Forums. See here to read his reply: http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=powercc;action=display;num=1053322098

So, I guess my next question would be, is there anyone out there who can take the parts I've got and create this?: http://member.nifty.ne.jp/frogeye/connector.html#diagram I'm totally lacking in the wiring/soldering skills to attempt something like this, so I'm in way over my head at this point. Anyone wanna take part in my project?
Thanks for the feedback!
:-)
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2003 :  12:56:23
Who by chance was the seller of this busted Color Classic?

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

SpaceBoy

USA
631 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2003 :  14:55:15
quote:
Who by chance was the seller of this busted Color Classic?

Actually, I bought it from Catsdorule, but due to a combination of poor packing and brutal treatment by the Postal Service, it was severely damaged. My attempts to work with Catsdorule to resolve the situation failed, and I've ended up eating the losses and trying to make the best of it.
The CC's electronics seem to be in good shape (I wouldn't be putting all this work into it if they weren't), and hopefully, this will work out well.
Thanks!
SpaceBoy

Official MLA Raconteur
AppleBASIC FOREVER!
PowerMac 6500/275
Performa 6400/180
3x PowerMac 7600/132
SE/30 32/250, "Wang"
PB 1400/133
PB 180/33
PMac 7100/G3-266
Quadra 950, "HAL 9000"
Newton 120, "PADD"Go to Top of Page

Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 19 May 2003 :  18:55:16
Ok, I was just wondering because I sold a Color Classic on Ebay, and wrapped it in 3 layers of 1" bubble wrap then 2" of newspaper over that, and the guy who got it said it was busted and wanted me to pay him. I said it worked fine when it shipped the post office must of broke it. He tried to claim the insurance but post office had some loop hole to get out of paying it. So im just making sure you werent him

Recently Rescued from Deep within Enemy Lines:
Christophillis-
Lt. Colonel
Newton Squadron Commander
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 6.02x10^23
or just 4Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 20 May 2003 :  22:47:25
check this forum:

http://www.applefritter.com/cgi-bin/YaBB/YaBB.pl?board=powercc

this website:

http://www.colourclassicfaq.com/index.shtml

and this website:

http://www.stuartbell.dsl.pipex.com/PowerCC/

all are good references to ccs, and the last one I gave you has step-by-step instructions.

good luck!!!

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.