All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Free SE....
Author Topic  
Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  14:39:28
.... all I had to do was break my back trying to get it home. I got it from Tekserve (they were going to throw it out!), and had to bring it home to Brooklyn, with the F train and the B82 as my only means of transportation. My fellow New Yorkers probably realize how tough that is.....I'm tired now

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
2 Macs Liberated

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  14:43:24
Poor Wonko! At least you scored a trusty little compact.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  15:33:38
But when I came home and tested it, I found that there was no OS installed, I got the blinking "?" floppy! ARG!
(PS: Tekserve is full of old macs.....I saw them using a Lisa as a stand for a PB 1400!)

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  15:39:01
Oooh! You better nab that Lisa, working or not!

Don't worry Wonko, just load up a drive with System 7 and dump it in there. At least you know the PSU and display works so far!

666th poster to the

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  19:31:56
I don't have system 7. I think that Sys 7 is a bit too much for it, though. System 6 might be easier on its 8 mhz 6800 processor and 1 (?) meg of ram (I don't really know). I'll need it on a 800k disc, it isn't an FDHD model. Oh, and the display seems to have the ghost image of something.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs LiberatedGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  19:38:21
quote:

I don't have system 7. I think that Sys 7 is a bit too much for it, though. System 6 might be easier on its 8 mhz 6800 processor and 1 (?) meg of ram

Load 6.0.8 if you think you may only have 1 meg of ram. Who gave you the Mac at Tek? The Lisa was used as the Hassock/footrest in the video of Tekserve's Macworld 2000 Living Room Booth. Congratulations on the SE, nice save!
jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  19:56:33
quote:

I don't have system 7. I think that Sys 7 is a bit too much for it, though. System 6 might be easier on its 8 mhz 6800 processor and 1 (?) meg of ram (I don't really know). I'll need it on a 800k disc, it isn't an FDHD model. Oh, and the display seems to have the ghost image of something.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Perhaps that "ghost image" is a burn in?

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  20:05:03
quote:

Probably. It isn't too bad, though. I can live with it. Despite its flaws, I still think it's pretty cool. It has a big Apple sticker on the left side and a small one on the top. Oh, and Trash80, I don't know the guy's name, and honestly, they didn't "give" it to me as much as he told me "It's in the trash. Do you want it?"

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  20:16:30
quote:

quote:

"It's in the trash. Do you want it?"

That works, what happened with your Duo 280 and battery problems?
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  07:26:34
quote:

[quote]what happened with your Duo 280 and battery problems?
jt

That is one reason that I went to Tekserve in the first place. The guy said that my batteries are both just very dead. *sigh*
I need to get my hands on a working type III (or even II? would that work?) to be sure.

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated
"You can't possibly be a scientist if you mind people thinking that you're a fool."- Wonko The SaneGo to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  09:07:58

quote:

That is one reason that I went to Tekserve in the first place. The guy said that my batteries are both just very dead. *sigh*
I need to get my hands on a working type III (or even II? would that work?) to be sure.

I thought that might have been why you were at tek. Don't know offhand about the type/compatibility, do you have (or download) a manual? You said you've got an auto adapter, watch for a clearance on a 12 volt Portable Power Pack/Jump Start/Hazard/Worklight thingie. Bet you could run for 18 hours off one, they're a little heavy for a primary battery, make an interesting backup though. (inexpensive and unique conversation piece too) I just need an auto adapter to test mine.

Congratulations again on the SE!
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  10:36:20
quote:

You said you've got an auto adapter, watch for a clearance on a 12 volt Portable Power Pack/Jump Start/Hazard/Worklight thingie. Bet you could run for 18 hours off one, they're a little heavy for a primary battery, make an interesting backup though. (inexpensive and unique conversation piece too) I just need an auto adapter to test mine.

That sounds cool. What exactly is it and how much does it weigh? I'd love to have a Duo that would last for 18 hours!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  11:54:02
quote:

That sounds cool. What exactly is it and how much does it weigh? I'd love to have a Duo that would last for 18 hours!

http://www.ayay.com/multipowersource.htm
Of course mine is yellow, rounded & fugly.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  12:41:12
So that's....a bit more than 8 pounds, maybe 9. Maybe I can strap it to my back.....are you sure it would work with an auto adaptor?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  13:16:14
quote:

So that's....a bit more than 8 pounds, maybe 9. Maybe I can strap it to my back.....are you sure it would work with an auto adaptor?

12 volts is 12 volts, it's basically a small car battery with a handle, the auto adapter steps it up to 24 volts as I recall. The 18 hour figure was a WAG (wild @$$ed guess). Research the amp/hour spec vs. the consumption of the PB or ask around on other sites to see if anybody has tried it before you spend any money. There's a 10 hours @ 20 watts figure in the sprec chart. The pic I found almost looks PB gray, but it's probably black.

jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 25 Jan 2002 13:19:57Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  14:05:30
Yeah, 18 hours is a stretch. According to the chart on the spec page, the low-end model only gives 5 hours of juice. The high end gives double that, but it also weighs twice as much. I wasn't able to find a price, though. How much did your battery pack cost and weigh?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  14:57:33
quote:

Yeah, 18 hours is a stretch. According to the chart on the spec page, the low-end model only gives 5 hours of juice. The high end gives double that, but it also weighs twice as much. I wasn't able to find a price, though. How much did your battery pack cost and weigh?

Mine was around $50, 7 amp-hours, 8.5 lbs. on my UPS scale. Keep in mind that you can run any lighter adapter device and jump-start a car, makes more sense than a another battery, I've got several. I found an interest interesting duo site and copied part of my 'fritter post.

Re: Quicksilver 2nd bay ideas
Was wondering about disk access circuitry, looked around and found this:
http://www.powerbook.org/duo-zone-e/danger/project-x.html

There seems to be quite a bit of general info besides this hack.
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  19:24:46
It really doesn't seem to be worth it. A battery that heavy would eliminate the whole purpose of a Duo.......I might as well just use the SE as my portable machine!

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  20:06:41
quote:

It really doesn't seem to be worth it. A battery that heavy would eliminate the whole purpose of a Duo.......I might as well just use the SE as my portable machine!

I was really kidding around with the first post, but AC is sometimes hard to come by, and I take it you haven't priced new batteries yet.I've always half-joked about doing my billing at the pool (swim club, back in the day), It might still be fun to do writing or something under a tree in a park or.........
jt

Go to Top of Page

Wonkothesane

USA
506 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  12:16:02
Anyway, back to the SE....I'm thinking of selling it. Do you think I could get more for it if I fixed it up and put an OS on it, or if I discharged the CRT and turn it into a macquarium?

Wonko The Sane
Engineer-in-training
3 Macs Liberated

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  17:04:25
quote:

Anyway, back to the SE....I'm thinking of selling it. Do you think I could get more for it if I fixed it up and put an OS on it, or if I discharged the CRT and turn it into a macquarium?

If either were worth the effort ($), it probably wouldn't have been headed for the landfill. Fix it up, stick periscope handles on the sides and keep it for your collection. If you ever liberate an original unpivoting Radius FPD and card, remove handles, hook it up and I'll be jealous as hell, I've already got the accelerator for mine, just need the rest.
jt;-)
p.s. thanks for the link!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 28 Jan 2002 :  16:25:52
quote:
If you ever liberate an original unpivoting Radius FPD and card, remove handles, hook it up and I'll be jealous as hell, I've already got the accelerator for mine, just need the rest.

Oh man, the SE FDHD I left in my old apartment had oen of those...I knew I should have gone back for it...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  07:05:35
quote:

quote:
If you ever liberate an original unpivoting Radius FPD and card, remove handles, hook it up and I'll be jealous as hell, I've already got the accelerator for mine, just need the rest.

Oh man, the SE FDHD I left in my old apartment had oen of those...I knew I should have gone back for it...

FPD, interface, accelerator, or periscope option package?
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  08:43:06

Just the card, sorry! Even they are pretty hard to come by now-a-days, though!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 29 Jan 2002 09:32:58Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  09:02:40
quote:

Just the card, sorry! Even they are pretty hard to come by now-a-days, though!

Pennance for.......

1. Borrow SE-Cracker Snap-On-Tool of Justice. (3/4" SLOTTED SCREWDRIVER, 26" LONG WITH, LARGE GRIP, NICE HEFT, SUITABLE FOR PUNCTURING/DEMOLISHING PC CASES!

2. Unsheath

3. Apply to skull, with moderate force, repeat until it hurts more than you think it will when you find an FPD.

4. Review lessons learne.......

jt
;-)

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 29 Jan 2002 09:04:37Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  09:33:43
Ow...!

somebody got a band-aid...?

666th poster to the

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  09:45:57
I used all of mine up

Now that I think about it, the 650 case is very 630-esque in that all of drive parts, etc, are all metal, not the friendly plastic found in the 610 and 660av. Bleh.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  10:52:00
quote:

Now that I think about it, the 650 case is very 630-esque in that all of drive parts, etc, are all metal, not the friendly plastic found in the 610 and 660av. Bleh.

Apple probably figured 650's needed to hold up bigger monitors, which is dumb, as they'd be sitting too high. Glad to see they didn't cripple vid-res on 610-660, but they put 'em in nice wide (to look right) plastic boxes the right height for a TPD, will that wide flat plastic top support one? My 605 probably would, but it would look silly.
go figure!
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  11:01:34
I love the LC 475/Q 605 box, it's just so darn thin and sleek. I did have an idea to hack the tiny mobo along with an Apple Multi-Scan 15" CRT into an iMac case, since there's a guy on the AppleFritter Forums who's selling a shell of such.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  11:22:12
quote:

I love the LC 475/Q 605 box, it's just so darn thin and sleek. I did have an idea to hack the tiny mobo along with an Apple Multi-Scan 15" CRT into an iMac case

If you've only got one, save it for a Mac Portrait or Radius FPD, you already blew the SE interface! * rub...rub...rub.....right on the band-aid ;-) *
jt :-|

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  11:52:22
The case is kinda bonged up and broken, though. Not really worth saving really...

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  12:11:47
quote:

The case is kinda bonged up and broken, though. Not really worth saving really...

Then hack it into a TPD case (carefully) don't waste it on a 15" display! But that's just my take on it.

jt

btw: do you ever check your e-mail? ;-)

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  12:22:58
I can't check my RR email here at work due to the firewall, sorry! Plus, I forgot to check it last night so there's probably a load sitting on the server from the weekend. I'm going to try to get to it tonight, but my daughter's sick and I'll probably have to take her to the doctor.

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  12:36:05
quote:

my daughter's sick and I'll probably have to take her to the doctor.

Hope she feels better soon! M & D too, no fun at all when the kid is sick!

jt

p.s. nopro on anything coms from me, just wondered if you had a dropbox you seldom checked. btw, make sure there's no "fascist" ref's on any servers at work, maybe clean it up here too, never know, check six, comrade!

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  13:06:54
Yeah, I dropped her off at the baby-sitter's this morning and she sneezed out what looked like half a cup of green goo...yuck!

666th poster to the

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  13:13:03
quote:

Yeah, I dropped her off at the baby-sitter's this morning and she sneezed out what looked like half a cup of green goo...yuck!

Don't get me started!
jt

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.