Balloon Help
 Claris Emailer wont work w/ Mac.com???
Author Topic  
Christophillis
Forums Squadron Commander

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  06:00:33
I cannnot seem to get my copy of Claris Emailer to work w/ my Mac.com email account. Can anyone help me by either telling me what to put in or mabey just explain how they got it to work?

Thanks

68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  14:18:25
Ehm… A Mac.com account is a regular POP3 account, just like any other. Can you be more specific as to what the trouble is?

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  20:33:38
ok i know i wasnt specific but here are the specifics....
Account Name: My Mail
User Name: Christophillis
Email Address: Christophillis@mac.com
Email Account: mail.mac.com
Password: (undisclosed)
SMTP Host: mail.mac.com

Then i get an error that says...

Execution of Schedule “Connect Now” at Sat, Jan 19, 2002 1:22:39 AM
Connecting To Internet using Account “My Mail”
Checking for mail
** Couldn’t complete the last command because the connection timed out.

This is strange because I have my internet prefs. set to no time limit or not to time out. But I cant figure it out so if some one will be so kind to enlighten me on how to do this it would be nice.
Thanks

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4

Edited by - Christophillis on 25 Jan 2002 20:35:23Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  11:33:58
The SMTP server for Mac.com email is called smtp.mac.com, and it requires authentication.

That might be your problem, although I find it strange that your email client reports an error during mail retrieval. But that might just be bad programming.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  12:28:33
so i just put smtp for the server? and what about autherization?

Christophillis-
Privite First Class
Total 68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  15:21:10
Well, the smtp.mac.com server requires a password in order to send mail. The password is the same one you use for retrieving mail.

I don't know Claris Emailer, so I can't tell you where to enter the password for SMTP authentication, but it should be in the manual somewhere.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  22:14:58
actually...the SMTP host is your ISP. For example, my email account thingy is mail.mac.com and my SMTP host is mail.earthlink.net. I don't believe it requires authentication (because you're already logged onto the server when you connect to the 'net)

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

Alien

Netherlands
269 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  05:44:33
That's if you use your ISP's host. Apple's Mac.com SMTP server does require authorisation.

,xtG
.tsooJ

--
RTFMGo to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  11:26:47
I have outlook 5 also so what exactly do I put in for the smtp server? I don't have an isp server because it is my mom's account and I don't know that kind of stuff. But if you could help me with either outlook or Claris that would be good. I wrote in a previous post what I put in for all the stuff so if anyone could tell me what to change that would also be good.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  12:29:36
When Mac.com mail first came out, it did not have a smtp server, Apple added that later. They also recently added support for IMAP mail as well as POP3 mail. I was told that they added IMAP support becuse they intended to discontinue POP3 support but I am not sure if that is true.

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  19:01:29
Well that's all and fine but I really just want to know how to set up either Claris Emailer Lite or Outlook Express 5. By the way is apple's email POP or IMAP? , if it matters....

Christophillis-
Privite First Class

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  10:25:04
Right now it is both POP and IMAP. Either protocol should work (at least they did for me)

AnubisTTP
Macs Liberated:15Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  11:00:06
SMTP host isn't your ISP, it's the standard server type used for outgoing email. Some require authentication (i.e., the entering of a username and password in order to use the server) because they are firewalled, while most do not because they aren't firewalled. Mac.com's SMTP server is and does, and because there isn't anywhere in Claris Emailer to provide outgoing/SMTP authentication, you cannot use it with Mac.com email.

Unfortunately, this is just a sign of the times, as when Claris Emailer was created few if any consumer SMTP servers were firewalled because spamming by clients wasn't as big a problem as it is today. Outlook Express 5 does have the ability to enter outgoing authentication, so it will work fine. Just enter "smtp.mac.com" as the SMTP host and also put in your password/username for outgoing server authentication. I know Netscape 4.5 and up has this function, but I can't remember whether 4.08 does. When I get home, I'll check it out and see, as it would be a good alternative to Claris Emailer on a 68k.

Oh and JFYI - SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  16:59:25
Thank You very much cinemafia! Finally someone answered my question! I have (in outlook) mail.mac.com for the POP3 server for outgoing and that works fine. i can recive mail, but my problem is sending it. It gives me an error saying that the message could not be sent to the account "Christophillis's Mail"... I put in all the information even my user name and account but it still gives me this error message... What am i doing wrong? I think that mabey it is trying to send my email to myself even thought i have it addressed to someone else.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 30 Jan 2002 :  17:12:04
I've never actually used my mac.com email, but when I get home, I'll fire up OE and add it in as a seperate account to see what's what and get back to you.

666th poster to the

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  20:18:42
I appreciate it but I managed to get it to work. Thanks though. What I did was put in my user-name and password with the smtp server as smtp.mac.com like you said and it worked. I guess I read your post to quickly and I instead put in smtp.apple.com so after I posted the last message I realized what I did and corrected it. I haven't had a chance to get online to tell you though... but thanks anyway.

Christophillis-
Privite First Class

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  09:43:15
Well, cool then! Glad you finally got it working!

666th poster to the

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 01 Feb 2002 :  16:21:54
Another common problem is that ISPs are more and more often not allowing SMTP forwarding, which doesn't LET you use other SMTP servers, other than theirs. This is to prevent spamming.

It really makes my life difficult, because I use at least 3 differen't POP3/SMTP accounts.

~Marchie

~Chaplain Marchie
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

Christophillis

USA
688 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  15:10:11
Yeah, after a while I thought that, that might be the case but it seems that they don't do that. I live in small town anyway so they probably figure that no one would want to spam people here...

Christophillis-
Privite First Class

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 06 Feb 2002 :  16:04:49
quote:
Another common problem is that ISPs are more and more often not allowing SMTP forwarding, which doesn't LET you use other SMTP servers, other than theirs. This is to prevent spamming.

That's called blocking port 25. Here at AT&T Worldnet, we automatically block it for the first 30 days of new accounts, after which, if the customer chooses, they can disable it. Chance are, if your ISP does block port 25 (and you've had the account for more than a month), you can call tech support and have then re-open access to it so that you can use outside SMTP servers.

666th poster to the

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.