All Forums
 68k Peripherals
 600iCD jumpers
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  02:36:46
I was just given a 600iCD yesterday and wan to install it in my recently repaired Quadra 950. The quadra manual (that I downloaded from Gamba) suggests that the SCSI ID number be set at 6. The 600i (Matsushita CR-8005) manual (also from Gamba) states that the ID number is already set at 3. I have done a number of searches, but can't find a description of where to place the jumpers anywhere. Any suggestions.
The jumpers are now verically on 1,2,3, and 7. I think the change is important, as I plan on installing a number of HDDs to the machine, and, as I understand it, the CD ID should be the last.

BTW, if any of you out there installed a cd player in your q950, how did you cut through the plastic bezel to make an opening. If I leave the bezel off - like right now, the gold plastic sides of the case interior are visible - not very aesthetic (if you know what I mean).

Flash

Australia
637 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  03:12:18
Welcome to the land of SCSI voodoo! Okee dokee, you have three jumpers (0,1,2) that are used to set the SCSI ID, and jumper 7 is for termination (ON or OFF).

If my formatting holds out, you can use the chart below for setting the ID.

______0___1___2
ID=1 OFF OFF OFF
edited ...... see post below

The CDROM doesn't have to be ID 3, that's just what they are 'normally' set to. Termination is usually ON, on the last physical device in the chain. SCSI ID 7 is used by the Mac itself, so you can't assign a device to ID 7.

good luck!

Flash!

- - - - - - - - - - - - -
A little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it sure beats a blank stare for starting a conversation.

68k ParaMedic

Edited by - flash on 15 May 2003 07:28:13Go to Top of Page

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  04:30:38
quote:
If my formatting holds out, you can use the chart below for setting the ID.

Small correction:

______0___1___2
ID=0 OFF OFF OFF
ID=1 ON OFF OFF
ID=2 OFF ON OFF
ID=3 ON ON OFF
ID=4 OFF OFF ON
ID=5 ON OFF ON
ID=6 OFF ON ON
ID=7 ON ON ON

Also, the main HD is usually set to ID=0 because the Mac searches SCSI busses in ID order during start-up. That is to say, the Mac will use the first valid System it finds on the first SCSI device that it finds. If you don't know the IDs of the devices already in a Mac, you can use a utility like SCSIProbe or HDSetup to tell you.

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.