All Forums
 Quadra / Centris
 Quadra finally works!... sort of.
Author Topic  
muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  11:51:09
Thanks to the powerful karma of the 68k MLA and the sun finally shining into my workroom, I noticed upon taking apart the power box again that one of the two dozen wires leaving the box (the blue one) was pinched on the inside, probably shorting on the casing. I cut the wire, spliced it, and put the box together again. Turned the ignition key - and it booted! The desktop icons all appear -BUT - the keyboard and mouse are completely frozen. The cable appears properly plugged in (and the mouse and keyboard work on my IIsi)so:
1) either there is a loose connection somewhere inside the box or
2) a software problem?
Any suggestions?

One happy quadra-ite!

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  13:18:33
YAY!

Regards the mouse/keyboard, it might be an issue with the "ignition key" IIRC, the key has an "Locked/On" position that locks out input. Maybe turning the key a notch might work.

Good luck and again I say "YAY" to the resurrection!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  14:00:09
That was the problem. This is the first time I have encountered an "ignition key" in a computor. To boot I have to turn the key all the way to the lock position and then back to the center. Very confusing.
But it works. Ram is at 80 Mb (4x16 and 4x4). There is not much of interest on the HD, but it is very large - 4.3 Gb. It was divided into 4 partitions and is running 7.1 (German) with server software. Ther was a copy of Norton Disk doctor and checked for bad blocks. Everything works fine! Tomorrow I pick up a 600i CD and a 3.4 Gig Quantum that I picked up for all of 1.55 euros! Can hardly wait. Being relatively new to old macs (especially with such large HDDS), does anyone know the partition limits on different systems. I have the installation files for 7.5.3, 7.6.1 and 8.1. And also the disks for A/UX. I was hoping to have one HD with A/UX and another with one of the above. I don't know anything about double system macs - can anyone recommend a good site (with advice on topics like A/UX on one drive and 7.6 on another).
Thanks all for the help.

Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  02:45:15
ANOTHER QUESTION

As I mentioned in the peripheral forum, I am installing a 600iCD. The problem is, how do I install the HDD on the back portion of the drive shelf? I do not have the "5 Drive Shelf expansion shelf" and the normal shelf does not appear to have screw holes to fit the bottom of the HDD. I looked at ~Coxy's Q950-page describing the use of velcro, but this wasn't exactly clear and looked pretty insecure. Is there a way of using the metal sleds that one finds on other old macs? I do have a couple of old lcs that could sacrifice parts for the cause.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  06:09:12
Is this the quadra 900/950? you need the big metal cages to mount the drives into. Its the same as the cage the cdrom fits into. they can be found on ebay all the time, or on the lowendmac.com swaplists. The way it works is that you can 1 cage under the floppy drive bracket (where the cdrom is now) and 2 install in the area directly behind the cdrom (2 cages one on top of the other). The hd's should install fin there. Do you have the original long 5 drive scsi cable (with terminator)?

Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  06:23:35
This is the Q950. The CD Drive does not fit properly in the cage. The screw holes do not match up and it is staying in place merely because the cage is tight. I have not seen any cages for a 950 ever on the German ebay. In the meantime, I have used twist ties to hole the HDD in place. It is quite large - 4.3 Gb - so it is not absolutely necessary that I install the other HDDS that I wanted right away. Is there a special bezel for CDs?

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  08:50:23
The cdrom gets mounted from the side mounting holes, the hd's get mounted from the bottom holes. The cdrom and HD cages are the same.

The cages slide into the q9xx and are held in place by 1 screw on the side of the flap that hangs below the cage on one side (facing you).

Is your hard drive a full height? As in boat anchor size?

Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  13:00:09
That is just how I tried to install it. The HD fits perfectly. I don't know about this case though. The floppy hangs on the side of its bezel and I have to pull it out with my fingernails. The CD doesn't fit. It doesn't line up with the holes in the cage at all.
I am giving up for the next few days. Work to do, and then taxes.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  14:39:15
The cdrom and floppy should line up, you might have to play with it to align it. try removing the covers and snap them back in after you install the drives. I added the cdrom myself and I do remember it took a few minutes to figure out how to do it.

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 15 May 2003 :  21:51:09
Oh how I would LOVE an ignition-key computer....

if I ever get one I'll love it so much... even a PC

cool beans on your Q950 muzhok.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 22 May 2003 :  23:57:31
In response to partitions, if I remember right, you will need HFS+ and therefore OS 8.1 to get volumes larger than 2 gigs

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  00:45:43
Not exactly. YOu can use up to 4 gig partitions in SYstem 7.5.5. Only problem is that your files will be really big!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  03:10:55
Thanks for the partition info.
I have another question with respect to SCSI termination and the AppleCD 600i (excuse me for jumping threads, as I referred to other 600i problems in the peripheral section) I have been trying to get working on the q950. If I understand some other sites I have read, I have to take off the termination jumpers on all SCSI devices I hook up (which I have yet to have tried on the 600i). Is this true? The 600i has power, the bay opens and shuts, the drive and its SCSI ID is recognized by Norton Utilities that was already installed on the HDD running 7.1, but it won't spin up! Nothing. Is this a driver problem or how can I tell if the 600i is just electo-trash? I would really prefer to work with this as the AppleCD SC external I have is sooooo slow and frequently gives out error warnings if the file transferred is larger that 2 Mb.

p.s. has anyone else a better idea for holding my HDDS in place than the twist ties I am currently using? As I mentioned previously, the expansion cages are never seen on ebay Germany, in sharp contrast to how often they are offered in the US. But then again, I never saw q950s going for less than 20 bucks including transport on e-bay in the states.

Go to Top of Page

emaq123

USA
258 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:20:58
Does this help on SCSI termination?

[SCSI on computer]----[device]----[device]----[device]-[termination]

The last device in the SCSI chain has to be terminated. You don't want a device in the middle of the chain to have termination.

emaq123

SE/30 and system 6.0.8 Now we're talking POWER!Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  05:22:11
The first device has to be terminated, too.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  08:02:24
The Q900/950 came with a special scsi cable that had an extra connection on the end that had a hardware terminator on it. I Used a different cable and just terminated the cdrom at the end of the cable, works fine.

I didnt want to bugger up that huge stock cable so thats why I just removed it (and the terminator) and put it in a box. if I ever get the 5 drive tray for this beast I will end up using that cable again.

So IF you have this stock cable with the terminator present you dont terminate the drives, if your using a standard scsi cable then you terminate the last device in the chain.

Go to Top of Page

muzhok

Germany
91 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  14:17:26
Thanks Unknown_K! I have the long stock cable with the terminator at the end. In the meanwhile I found a great site explaining the mysteries of SCSI termination - http://www.icdia.org/cdprosupport/recordng/cditmac/mac_scsi.htm

QUOTE: "A good rule of thumb is to terminate the first and last physical device in a SCSI chain. With some exceptions, this is a good rule. The most obvious exceptions are the Quadra 900 and 950. These two Macs require that NO internal device be terminated, and that the logic board be terminated by placing a terminator at the end of the internal ribbon cable. "

I guess the problem is that the CD 600i is probably terminated (as well as the second Quantum 4.3 HDD). This is sure turning out to involve a lot more work to set up than any box I have previously taken apart, but I have the feeling it is going to be worth it. The cd-rom is sort of squeezed into the cage and the 2 HDDs are screwed to plastic sleds from another mac model, which are in turn tied to the disk shelf with twist ties. It makes it difficult to take things apart so I better get things right this next time!!!

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  17:48:24
Hmm, your tower has been rigged then. Only sleds used on it are big and metallic!

Oh well I hope you get it working

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 28 May 2003 :  03:48:23
Yes, and IIRC, they also sort of cover most of the drive. Thats how it was in a WGS 9150 i worked on once, anyway, if i remember correctly.

"**** em" - Jobs in regards to customers
Warrior maclover5
68kMLA

Official 68kMLA Detective
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster: 1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.