Balloon Help
 sharing a cd
Author Topic  
fabriziovenerandi
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2003 :  06:45:18
hi all,

I have a powerbook duo 270c, with the dock, system 7.5.5 and appleshare client. I made a little LAN at home, with a HUB, the duo, the imac osx (as router) and a ADSL modem. All works fine, and I can share files easily with the imac, and connect to internet with the duo.
BUT, if I try to share a data-cd to the duo, there is something strange. I put the cd in the imac, share it to the duo, and from the duo I can see files and folders and open folders. BUT I can not copy files, or open it, 'cause they are "in use".
Only using mac osx: If I use os9 all is working fine.

I ask around but this seems to be a mystery. Some friends of mine, tell me that if they share a cd between 2 osx machine, they can see the files, open those, BUT do not copy those!

I think this a big osx bug, but seems strange to me that nobody is talking about this in internet. Have you ever tried to share cd between a osx and a 68k machine?

Sorry for bad english.

f.

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 11 May 2003 :  07:07:03
AFAIK, there's absolutely zippo wrong with your setup. It's OS X. I'm not sure, but it may be a little plan of Apple's to make you use Rendevous. And I know that OS X's AppleTalk implementation is buggy, due to the fact that my iMac has weird problems with my network under OS X. I'm not sure how to fix your problem, but i'd just like to let you know that it's probably a big OS X bug.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 21 May 2003 :  10:15:56
you may need to set the permissions on the CD, get info and look at permissions on the cd in the osten machine, and make sure that the user you are using to connect to the X Box has full permissions to the CDROM drive.

unix permissions are great in some cases, but a major pain in the ass in others.

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //eGo to Top of Page

fabriziovenerandi
Starting Member

8 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:17:38
I try, but all seems ok. And I can not change the read/write permissions for a cd-rom!

f.

Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 23 May 2003 :  09:50:07
Can you share a scsi scanner from a 68k mac and use it from another mac (networked of course)?

I was thinking of getting a 605 mac (small pizza box looking thing) and using it to be a scanner and print server over the network

Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.