All Forums
 Mac II Line
 Comments on the Mac II line
Author Topic  
Captain Video
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  00:08:14
I think of all the 68k Macs, the Mac II line was the coolest. Color on a Mac, cool. And you could/can do a lot with them. MS Word for the Mac at that time was quite good. It saved me from having to use DOS Word Perf (shudder)

And of course, the small size, and cool pizza box shape. My second Mac was a Perfoma 460, I still have it, and it works fine. As I have posted here before, I hate to see old Macs, especially Mac IIs go to waste. Still alot of people out there who don't have a computer.

And I bet I could make a good case that System 6 to 7 is easier for a new person to learn than later versions. Please note I didn't say better, but just easier to learn.

So if you have any friends or relatives (parents or grandparents) who aren't online, get a Mac II, set it up for them and show them how to do email. A good way to stay in touch with friends and relatives a long distance away.

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  10:15:22
Amen! The II line was an amazing acheivement for Apple. Here you had super-fast processors, up to 128MB of RAM in some models, lots of room for expansion, fast on-board SCSI buses, the first internal CD-ROM, etc. All this meant multi-media capabilities way beyond the compact macs and IBM compatibles of the time.

Yeah, the II's were some serious butt-kicking machines. I'd like to see Apple re-make the II as a sleek, desktop machine (towers are overrated!) with at least one or two 1GHz G4's (G5's?), up to 2GB of DDR RAM, on-board LVD-SCSI and ATA-100, 6 full PCI slots and one AGP slot (but with no video card pre-installed) and a SuperDrive. Yeah, that would be neat-o, only it'll never happen.

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 24 Jan 2002 10:18:49Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  12:15:48
quote:

...and a SuperDrive. Yeah, that would be neat-o, only it'll never happen.

Not until someone squishes a dual cpu cube internals into one!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  12:45:16
quote:

I'd like to see Apple re-make the II as a sleek, desktop machine (towers are overrated!) with at least one or two 1GHz G4's (G5's?), up to 2GB of DDR RAM, on-board LVD-SCSI and ATA-100, 6 full PCI slots and one AGP slot (but with no video card pre-installed) and a SuperDrive. Yeah, that would be neat-o, only it'll never happen.

I think that's more I/O and drive bay expansion capacity than Apple's entire current product lineup hacked into one box!

jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  12:57:43
Oh wait, I forgot the 300 MHz system bus! You gotta plan ahead for the availability of 2.4-3GHz upgrade cards...

666th poster to the

Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  20:19:03
quote:

ATA-100

Who would want ATA-100 when you could have ATA-133

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  20:28:24
Oh yeah, forgot about that. ATA-133 onboard!

666th poster to the

Visit my site!

Edited by - cinemafia on 24 Jan 2002 20:28:52Go to Top of Page

Captain Video
Starting Member

14 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  21:36:03
I also keep hoping they'll come out with a new Mac II type of line. They could make it expanable. The case of the old ones is sure easy to open, for adding memory of swapping hard drives.

I kind of thought the new iMac might be a two piece design with a Mac II type box. I think it would have been cool to have a choice of monitors.

Tower computers are great for adding drives and such, but the take up more space. The IBM P/S 2 and the Mac IIs had the right idea in making a low profile box that was under the monitor.

Yeah, I remember in college the Mac IIs had Solaris on them, and various other games. And MS Word. Even today, they would do most anything you need as far as office functions.

Go to Top of Page

~Coxy
Leader, Tactical Ops Unit

Australia
2822 Posts
Posted - 27 Jan 2002 :  21:30:37
You know the Mac II, IIx and IIfx could hold up to 2 gig of RAM.
Don't know how much they can actually address, tho.

~Coxy - Leader, Tactical Operations Unit
68k Macintosh Liberation Army (now with forums!)
00013 Macs liberated.Go to Top of Page

Tallgeese

USA
523 Posts
Posted - 31 Jan 2002 :  22:34:12

<English major> Don't forget that the II line had the coolest names. None of this number crap. They all had unique and meaningful names, gave them character. </english major>

Sgt. Tallgeese
Apple II Squad Leader
68k Mac Liberation Army

68k Macs Liberated: 4Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.