All Forums
 Lounge
 New Post - Performa Hack
Author Topic  
Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  20:53:19
I have decided to use the IICi's power supply instead of the AT PSU (the AT ones too risky).
Does anyone know the pinouts for the IICi PSU?
Alsoon the wiring harness of the performa, there are two small ribbon cables. 1 was connected to the power supply, and the other was not used. What does the ribbon cable (connected to the power supply) do?

Can a mac moniter be connected to this machine without a video out card, and if possible, how?

Why am I getting no chime through an external speaker I plugged in to the sound out?

Cheers.

Edited by - Macintrash on 05 May 2003 20:55:28

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  21:08:07
No

dunno

not without the video card

It might not be actually booting up, or you might be on the microphone port...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  21:13:05
Im pretty sure its booting up (with nothing to boot from though),as when i reset the machine from the keyboard, the led goes off and then comes back on.
What about connecting a moniter to the ribbon cable which went to the internal screen?
Yer, the speaker could be plugged into the mic port. Ill try

Cheers

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  21:29:23
The ribbon cable should help by interfacing with the 6x00 video out monitor card thing... unless the 5x00 and 6x00 machines had different wiring harnesses

Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  22:05:41
quote:

The ribbon cable should help by interfacing with the 6x00 video out monitor card thing... unless the 5x00 and 6x00 machines had different wiring harnesses

Official MLA TourGuide

Nope,e verything's exactly the same. One thing i should've mentioned earlier is that a power supply from an LC630 will also work, as well as you don't want to power the monitor (which you don't, anyway) The wiring harness and stuff is exactly the same as the 6x00 series machines.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  05:04:16

The pinouts for mac power supplies don't seem to be in apples pdf's.

Heres a page with some power supply pinouts for the IIci and other 68k macs.

http://www.computercraft.com/docs/mchk.shtml

Go to Top of Page

markymark

223 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  05:07:56

And here's a link that has power supply pinouts for an 840av and Performa 6200.

http://www.g-news.ch/articles/powersupply.html

Go to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  20:37:28
quote:

Im pretty sure its booting up (with nothing to boot from though),as when i reset the machine from the keyboard, the led goes off and then comes back on.
What about connecting a moniter to the ribbon cable which went to the internal screen?
Yer, the speaker could be plugged into the mic port. Ill try

My power colour classic did that, even when it most deffinetly was not booting, all it means is power is going to some parts of the board.

If you get a chime from the speaker then you can be fairly sure it is booting.

There might be a way to get video out without using the video out board (incidentally I didn't see a response, are you interested?) the board has a couple of small chips on it along with the DB-15 connector, I'm at work just now so I can't check. I suspect you would have to use a PDS video card (rare) or make a custom PCB to get vide out otherwise.

Have you been looking at the Power Colour classic sites? they have a complete diagram of the edge connector telling you exactly what each wire does.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  20:51:13
hmm.... certainly a good resource the internet is... If safari were for 68k I'd be sold... Onboard Googling.... useful for finding great links like those..

Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.