LC / Performa
 I killed my LC630
Author Topic  
dungbomber
Starting Member

New Zealand
6 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  18:31:43
Hi, here's a curly one for LC630 owners...

I bought an LC630 in a local garage sale. It worked, but the hard drive was screaming, so I stripped down the machine, cleaned it out, and replaced the Apple/Quantum 500MB IDE with a WD of 400 MB or so. But the Mac wouldn't start after that. Completely dead.

I discovered that the IDE connector on the new drive was reversed compared to the original one.
I'd connected it the wrong way round. On a PC IDE bus, that wouldn't usually do permanent harm, but as far as I can tell there's no other reason for the Mac not firing up.

I've reconnected the drive correctly, cleaned all the connectors in sight, tried a different keyboard, etc etc. But no go.

My question is this; has anyone had a similar experience with this model, and if so, what was the fix. Have I blown the PSU, the motherboard or just my credibility :) ?

Any help gratefully received...

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  18:44:15
Define dead. Does it power up to a floppy disk on screen with an x in it (cant find a bootable os)

Does it not power up at all?

Was looking on www.lowendmac.com and found that the IDE controller on that system only supports 1 device (the cdrom should be scsi). So make sure the drive your using is setup for master. Inserting the data cable backwards wont kill anything (doing it to the power cable will smoke your drive, but that very hard to do).

Do you have a cdrom with an operating system (version 7.1 to 8.1) you can boot from? If you cant boot try disconnecting the drive entirely and boot from disk or cdrom to make sure your machine works.

You should be able to reset the pram on that machine (store machine settings) find the cuda putton and push it for 30 seconds (machine should be off).

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  20:30:22
Unknown_K: there's only one plug, so even so, he can't plug in more than one IDE device. But yeah, I would say that you might have to reset your CUDA. Pull out the logic board, and look for a little red button. Hold it down for about 30 seconds. Put everything back together, and try starting up. If not, leave it overnight without a PRAM battery.

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

dungbomber
Starting Member

New Zealand
6 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  21:37:33
Dead, as in no startup chime, video, drive activity - just as if the power cable wasn't plugged in (don't worry, I checked that!)
The CUDA button is new to me (this is the latest mac model I've ever owned). Thanks, will try that right away...

Plus 4/0
SE 4/40
SE30 8/50
2x IIcx
LC
LCII
LCIII
512ke resurrection projectGo to Top of Page

dungbomber
Starting Member

New Zealand
6 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  21:38:47
Sorry...that list wasn't supposed to happen...Go to Top of Page
dungbomber
Starting Member

New Zealand
6 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  22:03:04
Tried the button...still dead. May take the PSU out and put a meter over it, could have popped a diode or something.Go to Top of Page
Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  22:51:28
CUDA switch wont do anything to a completely dead mac.

since you took it apart make sure the video ram, and main ram have been inserted back correctly.

I mentioned the IDE cable because he purchased his computer at a garage sale so I could have been rigged any number of ways.

The best way to troubleshoot a computer thats not even booting is to remove anything not necessary in making it turn on. Remove all drive cables, extra ram that wasnt there before you started messing with it (same for vram and cards). Make sure the power supply is connected to the mb (seen people forget that when they take stuff apart). Is the battery connected and in the correct orientation (removing it would kill the power the keyboard uses to start the system up). Check voltage on the battery too while your at it, they do die eventually.

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  01:28:29
1. The IDE cable is built into that edge connector thing that the mobo slots into. It cannot be removed.

2. Actually, LC630s run fine without the PRAM batt. My 630 has never had a PRAM batt for as long as I've had it.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  09:17:59
Can you start the machine up from the keyboard without a pram battery?

Didnt know the vable was permanently attached to the board. My experience is with 950/840av quadra's and 8500/7500 PM's

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  17:48:01
quote:

Can you start the machine up from the keyboard without a pram battery?

Yep!

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  19:44:48
Have you tried starting up with the drive completly unhooked.

Also WD drives will not work when set as master when they are the only drive on the IDE chain. You need to set the jumper across the bottom of the two of the pins closet to the IDE connector.

i.e Ide Conector| - - - /------\
____________| - - - |______|
| |
Short these two pins.

Life is like Jeopardy you have all the answers, you just need the questions.Go to Top of Page

redrouteone

USA
226 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  19:49:34
Ahh, the fourm killed my formatting

I just looked also removing the jumper completly should work also.

Also how you edit a post?

Life is like Jeopardy you have all the answers, you just need the questions.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 06 May 2003 :  20:43:06
hmm... Maybe if you replaced it witn an apple labled drive? maybe stuff like that happens to 6x0X owners... (my 6200 had no hdd in it and I didn't have an apple/quantum drive to put in it) and it never worked [:'(]

to edit your posts (you must be logged in) you can click the little pencil and paper icon...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 07 May 2003 :  02:29:43
quote:

hmm... Maybe if you replaced it witn an apple labled drive? maybe stuff like that happens to 6x0X owners...

It shouldn't make any difference. Until the drive borked itself, I had my iMac's old 6 gigger in my LC630 for a while, and it ran great. I've also tested a couple of PC drives in the 630 without a problem.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

dungbomber
Starting Member

New Zealand
6 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2003 :  04:23:13
Yes, I tried starting the LC630 without a hard drive connected, also replaced the keyboard and cable, checked the PSU parts I could reach and performed mystical incantations over the chassis...

Thanks for the tip about WD drives not working when set as master, that could've caused some real hassles later on.

This LC630 came with several other machines, mostly Quadras. They all needed the PRAM zapped before they'd start. Must have been sitting around for a while.

Saturday afternoon is now set aside for this project. I'll disconnect/replace the PRAM battery. If that doesn't work, I'll pull out the PSU and go over it properly. I've never thrown away a Mac yet and do not intend to give up on this one.

Thanks for all the advice, will report back on Monday.Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2003 :  05:18:31
While you're at it, pull out the mobo and every drive, and vaccum what's left of the machine. It'll be safe to vaccum it once the mobo and drives are gone, and you may also want to take the cover off the PSU and vaccum it out, too. The weird things that dust does amaze me.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 08 May 2003 :  21:13:25
I always vacuum my old motherboards and powersupplies and drives and EVERYTHING... it always helps to have the mac cleaner..

one funny thing... I did a complete rebuild on my 840av and it was real quiet... then I plugged the power back into the hard drive....

I guess that alot of apple labeled hdds are louder... maybe it's a Quantum thing?

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuide
"I'm just a normal computer geek who somehow landed a social life"
Go to Top of Page

dungbomber
Starting Member

New Zealand
6 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  17:51:39
Well, I can now legitimately claim to have shed blood for the cause (slashed a thumb on a rough piece of the chassis).

The PSU appears OK, so the motherboard is now under suspicion. The most sensible thing to do now is wait for another LC630 to become available and track the fault by swapping parts between the two machines.

So this LC630 will be wrapped up and put in storage for the time being. The rest of the pile (Centris and LC models) will keep me occupied for now.

Thanks again to everyone who replied.Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  21:12:34
I always do complete rebuilds on all the macs I buy, everything gets taken apart, all plasctic is washed clean, motherboards have all the dust vacuumed, etc. Never had a problem putting them back together in running order (actuall I do this to all the retro machines I buy like atari st, amiga , c64, IIgs etc).

Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 13 May 2003 :  23:33:28
I do the exact same thing, Unknown_K. As well as cleaning it, I also know that the machine has been put together properly.

Warrior maclover5

1Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.