Lounge
 A funny thing... I ALMOST DIED!
Author Topic  
Jasoco
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  22:05:18
(Sorry. I accidentally forgot the BEGINNING to the story. D'OH!)

A funny thing happened to me on the way ot the Forum... I ALMOST DIED!

Well, where to start?

Let's start at the beginning.

This morning I awoke like I do every morning.

I took my Color Classic to my car to take to the shipping place after work and I was off. I arrived at work late.. as usual. I counted a drawer and put it in register two as backup to the register 1 cashier and went to the back room to finish what I had started the day before. Mopping 10 years worth of dirt off the tile floor. I got about 70% done. That's as far as I got.

The room was practically empty anyway except a few things here and there. I moved these things with no trouble at all. Except one. There was a big huge blue shelving unit for a toy called "Robotix" against the wall. Behind it was a huge chain link fence. It is assumed they used to fence in the electric boxes. I thought they were just part of the wall. They'd been there since the dawn of time. The blue shelves were recent. Also leaning against them were a few boxes of Flourescent lights. The long tube kind that explode at the slightest tap.

The time is 1:30 PM. So I moved one LONG box of these over out of my way to a part I had already mopped. And went after the blue shelves. I got them maybe an inch before I heard the sound of plastic breaking. I felt the fence getting closer to me. Faster and faster it came. I tried to run but was already hit in the back by it. I fell to the ground and thought it was all over. The thing was heavy. When it was done I opened my eyes and pulled myself out from under it. Looking back I noticed the blue shelf holding the chainlink fence units off the ground about 8" to 12". Thank God, I was all right.. I guess. But my right foot and leg were in pain. If it weren't for the shelves, I'd be in more pain, or even dead. Yeah, they were that heavy. I yelled out "Help!" and one of the assistant managers rushed in and called the other managers to the back. The fence had knocked me down and bruised my back in a few spots. Well, a lot of places, which are starting to hurt now. I couldn't move. I was lying there with my leg in a weird position, but I couldn't figure out what, if anything, was broken. So they called the Ambulance. I noticed there was a spot of blood on the floor next to me around a small piece of glass. So I checked my arm. Yup.. bleeding.

About 5 minutes or so later a Policeman arrived. I told him what happened. Then the paramedics arrived and asked me what happened. So they had to check to see if my leg was broken. Fortunately it wasn't. So he undid my shoe and pulled it off but cut off my sock. I joked "I never liked that sock anyway." and he checked to see if he could tell. They couldn't really tell if it was broken or not. So they picked me up on to the rolling bed thingy and we were off. We grabbed my stuff and headed up front. They loaded me in the Ambulance and checked my blood pressure. Then I signed a release that has something to do with it being a Work injury. And we were off to the hospital which was about 5 miles away.

When we arrived at the hospital they transferred me to a wheel chair. And moved me to the check in desk. Asked a few questions. Name, Social Security, yada, yada.. Then moved me to the waiting room. The guy came to me and gave me the ID bracelet. Yay! Next we did the whole "Scale of 0 to 5, what is your pain?" chart. I'm between a 1 and a 2. And I got a smiley sticker on my bracelet. Guess it means I'm not in critical pain. Oh well. Then I got to go to the X-Ray room.. but had to wait about 7 minutes or so. Eventually I got in and we did three pictures. But had to redo one. Then I got wheeled to the Fast Something-or-other section and waited about two minutes. On the way I spotted a Time mag with the iMac on it and wanted to grab it. But didn't. And got wheeled further away.

After two minutes we went into a room and did the whole questions thing. "How did it happen?".. uh.. I guess that's it. The Nurse Practitioner did the whole, "Does this hurt?" "Can you feel this?" "What direction is your toe pointing now?" stuff.

Eventually someone came in and gave me a Tetanus Shot since I hadn't had one since 1990 and with the glass and dirty floor, you never know. Then they told me I had fractured two small bones in my foot and wrapped it up and said to make an appointment with an Orthopedic MD. Eventually I got wheeled to the checkuot woman. She called work and asked to send someone over. Then I got moved to the front again.

About 5 minutes later, Rob came in and helped me to his car. And off we were in his fast car, weaving in and out of traffic and we arrived at work. I went in with my crutches and gave them the letter for the main office. Then at 4:30 we finally finished up. I hobbled out to the car and Rob drove me home.

No one was there!

I hobbled over to the answering machine. Maybe there was a message from my parents. Nope. Just one from Dad saying he wouldn't be home for dinner. Then 10 minutes later my Mother and Sister came home and I told them the story. Mom made Grilled Cheese while watching X-Files (Old GOOD episodes on FX) and Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I ate my sandwich and my Campbell's Tomato Soup.

Then made my way up stairs to my room. My sister was online so I went and took a nap until 9PM.

Woke up. Hobbled over to the computer chair. And eventuially I got online. Now I am writing this while watching The Daily Show.

So tomorrow I have to make an appointment to get it checked to see if it needs a cast or just a splint.

What a fun day it's been.

I do have two words for you. "Workman's Compensation".

So soon I shall find out how long I will be out of work.

Edited by - Jasoco on 26 Jan 2002 18:57:11

GORDOOM

Canada
208 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  05:57:39
Well, that's just lovely...

I will keep you in my prayers.

GORDOOM
Commander, Academic Operations Reserve
(University of Toronto, St. George Campus)
total Macs liberated: 14
(as of January 7, 2002)

"...the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world are the ones who do."Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  09:07:38
Wait wait wait....what happened???

That's terrible, man. I hope you're recovery is quick!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  11:04:48
Okay, I read the rest of the story over at AppleFritter, and now it makes sense. You may want to include the first half here, as well!

P.S. - Get better soon, man!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  20:08:05
How are you doing tonight, are there any new developments? What kind of hardware did they install? Hope everything else works out, it doesn't sound like they could have taken care of you much more quickly if they tried. May your recovery be swift and your spirits remain high, I can't believe you logged on at all the first night!

Be well, comrade
jt

Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:22:04
quote:

What kind of hardware did they install?

Oh just the normal, RAM, hard disk, and video card upgrades . Every aspect of life has humor

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  12:31:33
Man, i dont know what the big deal is all about. Come on, if I had a dime for every time a fence fell on me and I almost died, I'd have like, you know, some dimes. Nah seriously, get well soon and all. That had to be scary.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ Macs liberated: 6 }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

benightedbastard

Australia
62 Posts
Posted - 25 Jan 2002 :  03:27:33
You posted this at AppleFritter, too? That makes it, what, four forums at least?
Woah...

------------------
Please return stewardess to original upright position...Go to Top of Page

Jasoco
Starting Member

USA
41 Posts
Posted - 26 Jan 2002 :  18:58:07
A LOT more than that Benighted.

Oh, BTW. It seems I forgot the beginning to the story. So read it! HEHEHE... Oops.

::::..:....:::.::.:..::.:....:.......
Please! no more weasels! I'm full...

Just like the New TNN, [url=http://www.jasoco.com]Visit the New Jasoco.com[/url]Go to Top of Page

Marchie
Chaplain

USA
911 Posts
Posted - 29 Jan 2002 :  15:39:04
the first time Itried to discharge a CRT, I built my tool wrong.

My right hand was on the metal chair, on the tiled floor, and my left poked the discharge tool into the CRT.

the charge went up my arm, across my chest, and into the chair.

that was probably the most insane thing I've ever felt. The sensation itself wasn't particularly "bad", and kinda interesting, but not something I'd repeat, for purpose of continued life.

~marchie, Still alive

~Chaplain Marchie
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Holder of the Compact Mac Stick of Justice, with Explodeing CRT head

~~"We are all Mad here."~~Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.