All Forums
 Lounge
 Possible??
Author Topic  
Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  03:50:18
This hack isnt a 68k hack, but its close.

Last year, my Mac Performa 5200CD was declared "stuffed", as it had a broken screen and power supply, so I figured that there was not much else I could do with it.

A few days ago, I pulled it out from the rack that it had been sitting for about 12 months and dissasembled the whole thing (being extremly careful discharging the internal screen).

Now, getting on to my point...
Can an PC's AT switching power supply be used to power the Performas logic board (which is not fried like the rest of the machine)?
Also, the logic board does not have a video out port, only the cable which connects to the internal moniter. Can an external screen be connected with this cable?

Any comments?

Thanx.

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  06:01:09
Yes and Yes.

You'd have to be VERY careful with the AT power-supply though... as you'd need to hack-out some custom connectors... but if you know what is what then you're A-OK there....

You will be able to connect to an external display, and in fact there's a connector you could buy for the 5x00 motherboards that did exactly this... mirrored the picture of the internal and external (most likely a projector for these scenarios) displays.

believe that you can pull the mac-video out hardware from any working 6x00 desktop, or any non-working.. or they sell it at a few good mac online places.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  14:49:31
It would be easier to use an ATX power supply as this is a hack which has already been done. The colour classic forums on applefritter should shed some light.

I'm pretty sure you can use the video out card from a 6x00 I actuall have on sitting here if you want it. Search the colour classic sites one has a wiring idagram for the edge connector, all you need to do is patch on a peice of riboncable (might even have the right peice for that). All the board does is convert (or boost maybe) the signal from the ribon cable and turn it in to a mac DB-15 port.

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:07:28
The That 6X00 video card thingy should be exactly what he needs... and IIRC an ATX power supply will let you use soft power. (isn't the connectors already ATX anyway or something?

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  22:35:14
An easy solution for getting video out is the "Apple External Video Connector". Not sure how easy they are to find though. GOod luck!

--------------------------

Give your dreams a chance.™ - Apple in the mid '90s

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 7
Number of Contraband (PPC) Liberated from the Dumpster:
1Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 May 2003 :  12:11:18
That's what I was saying about

Macintrash

Australia
68 Posts
Posted - 03 May 2003 :  21:10:58
I have connected the logic board power wires from the wiring harness to the AT power supply. It starts up, but I get no chime, and the floppy disk drive just keeps ejecting (even when theres no disk in the drive). However, when I reset the machine on the keyboard, the light on the board goes off, and then comes back on.
Are these problems caused by lack of power or what?
Would a IIsi or IIci power supply work better with it instead of an AT?

About that card...
Yes I would liek to buy it from you. But I live in WA (western Australia), and I am presuming you live in America... How much would it be to ship?

Cheers...

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 03 May 2003 :  22:01:18
I'm certain that the card/thingy is small... but i'm not sure if they said they had the card or if they had the little thing that comes from a 6x00....

Gothikon

Australia
537 Posts
Posted - 05 May 2003 :  04:38:27
quote:

About that card...
Yes I would liek to buy it from you. But I live in WA (western Australia), and I am presuming you live in America... How much would it be to ship?

Cheers...

Oh! It just so happens I'm in Melbourne how does 10 AUD all up sound? Is there anything else you want? I think I still have the ribbon cable and connector to hook this thing straight up to the edge connector. It's pretty small about 3-4 inches long and 2 inches wide. If you're conserned about doing a deal without having met me you can look up my 100% positive feedback on eBay (username adamhope) i;ve also done deals with a few forum members including the lightning Stalker.

I'd also be willing to do trade for a 16 MB DIMM 5v DIMM or what have you.

In fact if you really want I have a 6360 power supply which should work fine and also provides the 3.3v rail if you upgrade the mobo and want to use PCI cards etc...

the email link in my profile isn't working at the moment so you might want to try
a d a m h o p e @ o l d s m i t h y . f r e e s e r v e . c o .u k <-- Remove the spaces

--------
LC 2, LC 3, Q605, Perf 638, Colour Classic (160 603e) 6100, 7200, PTP 225 (Quad 604), PM 9600, G4 CubeGo to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.