68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Lounge
 SE/30 only $229.00!!! are these people on crack?
Author Topic  
SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  18:39:21
What's up with Sun Remarketing!? There prices are crazy! A SE/30 and a beige G3 cost the same????

http://www2.sunrem.com/sun01.w?pt=111-382

I like it slow

SlowMac

USA
70 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  18:55:40
The SE/30 is the same price from those rip offs know as Shreve systems. Also I thought Shreve was going out of business. What's up with them? Are they trying to rip off a few more Macs users before they close there doors or what?

I like it slowGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  20:26:50
They are I bet... Both of the vendors... neither has updated any of their pages within the last seven years... If you've seen shreve ads in mac mags over thelast few years you'd know that the price of the LC 580 has a way of halving every 2 or so years... this is an interesting phenomenon and it's always in the form of a "blow out" or "last chance sale"

At the current price... which is probably 'wrong' anyway... I bet that anyone could amass hundreds of them... for the same price as one SE/30 in the deeper portions of their site.

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

AnubisTTP

USA
308 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  04:11:36
<Sun Remarketing CEO> So how much do you think we should charge for this old Mac Plus

<Sun Remarketing CFO> Well, I am not sure... ::Removes back of case:: Wow! This computer is signed by Steve Wozniak!

<Sun Remarketing CEO> So its signed? That means its valuable right?

<Sun Remarketing CFO> Very.. I would say it is worth at least $229.00 .

AnubisTTP, Tank Commander, Bolo Division
68k Macintosh Liberation Army
Macs Liberated:22Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  06:12:55
That can't possibly mean that they found ONE rare SE/30 and overpriced it, then based the prices of all their other stock on that????

"Because drive bezels shouldn't be $30"
"even if they have rare signatures on them"
"no seriously...."

Chinook
Starting Member

USA
21 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  08:43:58
I've bought a few things from both Sun and Shreve Sys, but not within the last 4 and 5 years respectively.

Shreve just price-gouged on the uninformed, uneducated consumer. I took my hit of cognitive dissonance (aka buyers remorse) on my last purchase in '98 and never again. Once ebay took off it was just a matter of time before they went the way of Media Guide (remember them?).

Sun was a bit better just because of their Service Parts selector. It was nice to be able to rebuild an old mac with new service parts to replaced the yellow ones. Sometimes the prices were high, but mostly they were fair ($2-3 for a CD bezel). Now, however, they just cant get, or dont want to get any service parts. The last order I had with Sun in 99 - I waited 12 weeks after repeatedly asking them to email me if the wait would be more than 4 weeks (so I could cancel). When I finally got it - it was a used item, not the new AppleService part I was accustomed to. A good rule of thumb when working with Sun: If they don't have what you need in stock and on the shelf then don't bother. I really can't understand how they stay in business. There's just no market for a firm that charges a premium and can't deliver.

My guess is that SE/30 is just like any seen on Ebay. The only difference is probably a cleaning and a new pram battery - something most of us Mac people will do anyway.

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  09:06:43
Sun was competitive back in the day, the IIx I got from them was either less expensive than the Mac II prices I'd been getting or a few bucks more when the PMMU/FDHD upgrades required for the Rocket were factored into the total and much lower than any used IIx prices I'd seen from other mail order houses and I shopped very carefully.

I just wish I'd gotten the Mac XL I always wanted to nab when I had a few extra bucks back then . . .

jt .
Trash Hauler: call sign: eight-ball
C.O. AC-130H SpecOps 68kMLAAFGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 02 May 2003 :  15:08:42
heh... I wonder if half of the stuff we see at Shreve and Sun actually is even in stock...

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.