All Forums
 68k Conquests
 Dear God No!!!
Author Topic  
radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  14:22:11
One of the elementary school teachers here has a Color Classic, but it looks like it's been through hell. The Poor thing has even beenm set on fire. But she still uses it in her classroom, so I can't snag it away from her...There needs to be a Shelter for abused Macs...

68k Macs Liberated: 5 1/2(One's not working yet)

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  14:26:20
Mine is in rough shape, but at least it hasn't been set on fire...jesus, does it still work?!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

radams
Starting Member

18 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  14:34:54
Yeah, it still works. I just changed the battery on it for her today.

The upper case is melted and warped and blackened. It's a nasty sight

68k Macs Liberated: 5 1/2(One's not working yet)Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  15:32:26
quote:

The upper case is melted and warped and blackened. It's a nasty sight

Does the 610 form factor have a full metal jacket under the plastic like the 630 series? DiamondPlate-Chic might work! Or graft it underneath another one for extra drive bays and 2 psu's if the airflow will work. Bondo-Mod & trompe l'oel.... yeah!
jt

Go to Top of Page

cinemafia
Guerrilla Recon Leader

USA
2965 Posts
Posted - 22 Jan 2002 :  16:00:08
Tell you the truth, it might look kinda road-warrior-esque-cool, like that Blue and White G3 in Brazil (or wherever) that survived a fire, unlike it's PC companions. I'd leave it in the burnt case as a testament to it's strength!

666th poster to the
68K Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

Mod of the Mac II series Forums
Total 68K Macs liberated: 7
Visit my site!Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 23 Jan 2002 :  21:55:27
quote:

Does the 610 form factor have a full metal jacket under the plastic like the 630 series? DiamondPlate-Chic might work! Or graft it underneath another one for extra drive bays and 2 psu's if the airflow will work. Bondo-Mod & trompe l'oel.... yeah!

the 630 is unique in its under that pretty plastic is sharp-metal-that-can-cut-you-very-easily. No other 68k (to my knowledge at least) is like it.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  07:42:43
quote:

the 630 is unique in its under that pretty plastic is sharp-metal-that-can-cut-you-very-easily. No other 68k (to my knowledge at least) is like it.

aaaaand it comes with the weight thing. ugh. about 20lbs, more than half a Q950... and nearly as heavy as an 840av.

for pulling-to-pieces it's a right pain... the 800's though... apart from their weird ol motherboard access, they are stunning inside. Apart from the rear screws the whole thing clips together - EVERY part, and that impresses me.

dana

Go to Top of Page

danamania
Official 68k Muse

Australia
1193 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  07:48:33
quote:

One of the elementary school teachers here has a Color Classic, but it looks like it's been through hell. The Poor thing has even beenm set on fire. But she still uses it in her classroom, so I can't snag it away from her...There needs to be a Shelter for abused Macs...

When I worked on a helpdesk for Schools here, I talked to a lady who worked in the snowy mountains - hellish freezing there, extreme negatives at night and computers needed warming with heaters before they'd work properly. Unfortunately she'd left the heater on a little too long and the front face of her PC tower melted... and she couldn't access the floppy! It wasn't a big problem as the machine worked and just looked like it was 'smiling' (her words!)...

I saw her name on the call-ticket, and the last name was Burnett... When I told her she had an apt last name for doing this to computers, she said "Don't joke about it... i've burnt down 2 houses too!". oops!

dana

Go to Top of Page

Trash80toG-4
NIGHT STALKER

USA
2899 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  15:30:24
quote:

"Don't joke about it... i've burnt down 2 houses too!". oops!

Ouch! Glad to hear she only incinerates PC's, at least she's got that in common with the mac-maniacs around here.

I LOVE the 630 box, you could sit a 36" TV on the thing, but no point in putting a Two Page Display on it, even a 6360 only pushes 1024x768. The disassembly is a little like a block puzzle the first time, and pinching your fingers I can understand. But if you can cut yourself on one, I hope you've got a Nerf version of the Stick of Justice, FW, you might hurt yourself otherwise. One thing nobody has mentioned about case design is the four pillar big monitor support/TPD resolution built into the Duo-Dock. Couple of open bays in the front would have been nice, but I'm never satisfied with stock boxes.
jt

Edited by - Trash80toG-4 on 24 Jan 2002 15:31:53Go to Top of Page

FireWire is fast
General, 4 star

USA
1559 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  20:02:47
this wasn't just a front bezel dissasembly, i literally took the entire thing apart - without even seeing the service manual. When you don't know what you're doing the 630 can be a dangerous box.

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™Go to Top of Page

maclover5
LC Doctor/Hot Rodder

Australia
5830 Posts
Posted - 24 Jan 2002 :  23:27:25
quote:

quote:

--------------------
FireWire is fast
General, 4 star
beholder of the Quadra/Centris Stick of Justice™

Weird...i've never been cut by mine, and i've taken it to bits right down to the FRAME (!!!) quite a few times. I must say though, that metal top sure is a pain to get off!!!

--------------------------

Pizzabox LCs RULE!!!!!!!

Warrior maclover5
68k Macintosh Liberation Army

Number of 68ks Liberated: 5Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.