Lounge
 68k software vs. 68k stuffit, a RANT
Author Topic  
Clinton

USA
700 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  12:23:33
***WARNING***

Those who do not appreciate a good rant, please hit the back button on your browser

OK, one downloads his 68k software from the internet, onto a mac running OS 8.0, with the version of stuffit that comes with 8.0. one expects that he would be able to unzip the file, but NO, it has been encoded for the bloody last version of stuffit to ship for classic, and you are SOL when it comes to getting the software onto your 68k. I propose we set a standard, and decide upon which version of Dropstuff to encode your stuff with.

thats all for now.

*end rant*

CCC

Commander
Promotion: 19 Mar 2003  13:06:30
68k Macs Rescued: 2 Pluses, a 512KE, a Classic II, a Q650, a Q660AV, an SE/30, and a MacII
Contraband rescued: Power Computing PowerBase 200, a PM 8600/300, and a PM8500/180
Apple //s rescued: Apple //e

shaktiman

United Kingdom
1226 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  13:56:53
I love a good rant

I have had this problem also, you download old software & then told you can't extract it because your computer is too old!

You then try to use your newer computer & this works, you then try to connect them via Apple talk which fails, so you open your computers up & swap the hard drives & this still fails because your old computer dosn't read can't read the drive.

erm now I have proudly taken over this rant & you just all wait until I'm a stand-up comedian then I'll put the world to rights.

shaktiman

Quadra 840av, prettymuchmaxedout8xcd drive
os 8.1
128 meg ram, 500 meg hard drive
PPC7600/132, 4.23Gig & 500 Meg drives, 8X cd
os 8.6
Performa400(deadintheattick)
3 monitors 15" & 14" & 14"Go to Top of Page

Unknown_K

USA
602 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  18:57:51
I have noticed this too. I dounloaded some old cd image and it needed the diskcopy that ships with OSX to mount, go figure.

The thing is most people here have newer macs they can unzip the software with.

Whats the average amount of macs each person has? I have 2 68k's and 2 PPc's

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  19:43:37
I also don't like when I download something onto a coimputer and find that I'll need to put the file ONTO ANOTHER computer to make it work...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

II2II

Canada
115 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  20:07:05
Now if only I could find my old "Stuff it, StuffIt!" rant.

I think that we should abandon Aladdin's format altogether: each version seems to be encoded in a different way and there is no easy way to distinguish between them.

An excellent alternative is SunTar and MacGzip. SunTar will use MacBinary encoding on each file, then combine all of the files into a tarball. MacGzip is used for compression.

The benefits: you can decompress these files almost anywhere, may that be on a Macintosh (even with StuffIt), Windows, Unix, etc.; there is zero chance of corrupting files since an unarchived file will be left in MacBinary II format if the platform cannot understand it (and because tar and gzip do not depend upon resource forks).

Aladdin has show customer disservice time and time again by forcing their customers to upgrade if they want to maintain compatibility. I say that we should dump them since there is a viable alternative.

II2II
Intelligence officer in training.Go to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  20:16:04
I feel your pain! I've got a few of those device image files and I still don't have a computer unnning OSX to decode them with!

I've never really run into Clinton's problem, though, but iThink that's probably because I always use the version of StuffIt! Expander 5.5 you can (or used to be able to) download from Aladdin Systems' website. I just install it over the built-in one.

Probably IMHO, the only sure-fire way of compressing files so that they can be used on "any" computer is to make them self extracting and then encode to MacBinary II. That way, the proper decompression algorithm is built right in. Then all you'd need is something to decode the MacBinary II.

The only trouble you might run into there (GOD knows I have) is that you are low on hard drive space and don't have enough for the MacBinary II file and its decoded counterpart. But that's just all in the fun of liberation!

*NEVER* encode a non-OSX app into a device image! Have pity on those of us who haven't got OSX yet. Plus, this saves the extra step of decoding in OSX and then re-encoding in Toast or old Disk Copy before moving to your target machine - for those of us who do have OSX.

The Lightning Stalker

Performa 631CD, 7.5.5
LC III Mail Server
Q610
Q650

6400/180 40/1.6G/512k L2/enet/video-in/TV
7600/120 '604/233, 80/1.2G & 4G, 9.2.2 (Main Mac)

Lady Smith Apples:
Apple IIc 5.25"
2 Apple IIeGo to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  20:57:02
Files usually work for me after being on about 3 different computers... this forever was a long and tedious process, because I only had one ethernet crossofver cable, and some localtalk junk

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

llamaboy487

USA
516 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  18:45:01
my problem is that i'll download .sea files and they NEVER unstuff themselves on my performa 578 with system 7.5.3... event though theyre supposed to be SELF EXTRACTING.

-------------
Grand Leader, Apple /// Revolutionary Council
Apple ///'s Liberated: 65498
Visit http://www.kevcave.tk (my Forum)
...because no one expects the Spanish Inquisition!
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.