All Forums
 Lounge
 wifi range
Author Topic  
candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  16:48:11
Perhaps someone with more real knowledge of this technology can help me. I have a netgear 802.11b router and my dad just got a titanium PB off of ebay. The reception on this thing is absolute crap. We tried twisting a coat hanger around the router's antenna, but that didn't help. What can be done, here? Should I cut the end of the antenna off and have a coat hanger (or something) physically connected to the antenna part? That might be risky.

{ candyPunk }
{ Captain of Observation, 68k MLA }
{ 68k Macs liberated: 4}
{ My baby: Q660av }

QuadraJets

USA
344 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  19:27:09
Don't physically connect a coat hanger to the antenna, it will change the output/impedance of the antenna. Some trancievers can handle it, and some get fried. A coat hanger probably will not be enough to fry anything, but it isn't worth the trouble. 2.4Ghz needs something besides a simple "wick" antenna for any kind of good range. There are a lot of omnidirectional antenna designs out there, just google around. If you have sheet copper and know how to solder, you can make one hell of an antenna.

Artillery Commander/Engineer, 68kMLA
Liberated:
LCII , III+, IIci, Q700, 800, and 840av, P550, 410
Contraband: Beige G3/300 MT o/c 400mhz, (2) 6100's
Hotline mirror server:
68k.dyndns.org

Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  19:53:44
Remember.. the TiBooks aren't supposed to get very good range AT ALL if you've ever read ANYTHING about them...

sorry... I have to deal with it too... although nothint elwe so far has... wireless networking...

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  21:07:37
I've heard that about the TiBooks.

I'm not sure I necessarily want to solder and sheets of copper anywhere. Shucks.

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  21:34:37
I have gigabit ethernet, and no other 802.11 computers anyway... so I'm not complaining...

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  06:11:11
A plain old coat hanger won't improve range, an may decrease it. The very short wavelengths used by WiFi (abotu 5 inches) means that antennas need to be designed for that scale. The most common high-gain hacker's antenna is the Pringle's Can Antenna. To see is and other antennae, google or go to:

http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/homebrewant.html

Gain Signal = Gain Access

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 28 Apr 2003 :  06:15:32
just don't let the FCC catch you...

besides.. I thought the pringles weren't as good as the larger and betterer metal coffee cans?

(I saw it on The Screen Savers)

candyPunk

USA
856 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  19:57:45
Can I use any of those on my router?

{ candyPunk }
{ My baby: Q660av }Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 30 Apr 2003 :  20:06:18
I think that if your router has an antanna port, you can. Griffin makes antannas for the airport extreme base stations that do have the ports.

G4from128k

USA
873 Posts
Posted - 01 May 2003 :  04:40:05
quote:
Can I use any of those on my router?

Yes, you can put an antenna on either the router or the computer, assuming you can get access to the antenna signal feed (this is often a tiny little coax connector a few mm in diameter).

Note that many of these antennas (like the pringle's cantenna) create high signal gain in one direction while killing antenna range in all other directions. That is, you point the antenna in the direction of other other device. This is fine if all your WiFi computers are close together at one end of the house and the wireless router is at the other end of thehouse. But, if the computers are all over, a high gain antenna could kill reception at all the computers except the one the antenna is pointing at.

If you need omni-directional gain. Try a monopole or collinear antenna. Maybe this one would work:
http://www.geocities.com/lincomatic/collinear.html

If these antennas look like too much hassle, then look into how you can relocate the router or the computer for better reception. The two biggest problems with wifi reception come from: 1) conductive materials sitting between the computer and the router (duct-work, piping, metal furniture, and people) and 2) other RF devices in the same frequency band (cordless phones and microwave ovens).

Good luck!

G4From128k

by Day: Mild-Mannered Engineer and Trapeze(tm) Artist
by Night: Colonel of Truth, Justice, and the Macintosh Way
Reserve Officer in 68kMLA Cantankerous Coot Contingent
Go to Top of Page

68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.