68k Macintosh Liberation Army Forums
Home | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 68k Conquests
 I think I'm starting to like this place.
Author Topic  
The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 26 Apr 2003 :  10:07:38
Well, ever since I moved, I've been saddened by the lack of computer hardware in this area. The local chapter of Goodwill was no consolation, either ($10 ADB keyboard anyone - dirty, no cables)

That all changed yesterday. It seems they have an annual event of spring cleaning here. You just set whatever you don't want (decent condition) on the curb for other people to take. The whole town becomes a sort of free version of Goodwill. Albeit, most of the stuff really is useless (empty cardboard boxes, dirty carpet padding, etc....) but in the midst of that, I was able to quell some bits of Mac hardware:

System Units:
Quadra 610 (my first Quadra!)
Quadra 650

SCSI Peripherals:
LaCie (Teac) External CD-R 4x32
LaCie Qlps 270 Mb (external hard drive)
Polaroid SprintScan 35 film scanner (missing the negative holder)
Some terminators and cables to go with them

There was other stuff, too that I just had to leave behind. Partly because it was just too old for my taste and partly because my car was *full* The local newspaper had more of those LaCie Qlps drives, a IIfx, a USR 33.6 modem (too slow, I've already got a TelePort 56 ahnnyway) and some kind of portrait display that I forgot what it was. I went back later to pick up the Qlps drives because I thought I could sell them or something, but they, and all the aforementioned peripherals were gone!

I also got a ton (by weight) of other stuff that's not computer related. Just for the sake of padding out the story, I might as well mention them. There are 2 dehumidifiers, a hose reel, a hose to go with the hose reel (1 split (easily fixed) large inside diameter), some pipes and valves, a huge snow blower (needs engine work) and small gas grill type LP gas tank. There's probably more, I just can't remember it all.

Then there was some non-Mac hardware:

Umax Astra 2000P Parallel port scanner (600x1200x36)
An internal IDE CD-ROM of unknown speed circa 1996
Quantum Fireball IDE Hard drive probably 1Gb
A Pentium 1 heatsink and clip that I thought I could use for the G3
A full tower ATX case I thought of putting the G3 motherboard into
A 17" VGA monitor (I found out later it was broken)

Okay, so that was yesterday and this morning I tried firing up those Quadras to see if they worked (without monitor). The 610 fired right up with the startup chime and the hard drive spun up, so no problems there. The 650 started up with no audible chime, but after a few seconds I could hear it booting the Mac OS, so probably the volume is just down or maybe it's got bad audio?

I'll try and get a monitor hooked up later to see what's on them. I'll try to keep you guys informed.

The Lightning Stalker

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  00:21:07
I also recently moved... I hope I can find something too!

where are you living now?

certainly come cool finds

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

The Lightning Stalker

USA
747 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  11:00:28
quote:
where are you living now?

Central Western MI

Thanks, cory. I still can't believe I have 2 Quadras!

Update:

I blew all the dust out of everything. The 650 wasn't too bad, as the newspaper probably had a good maintenance regiment, but the 610 was pretty dusty; especially on top the floppy drive and in the PSU.

Okay, the 610 has Mac OS 7.1 and the video is really fuzzy and off-colour, but works.

The 650 has OS 7.5.5. The hard drive is only about 50 Mb, I think, unless it's partitioned funny. The external hard drive works, although the cooling fan is siezed up. It has a couple of games on there like Risk, BrickLayer, HemmiRoids, Star Command, etc.()

The CD-R isn't working with the apple driver, so I'll try the FWB-CDT driver.

Unfortunately, I think the film scanner has a bad lamp driver circuit. I'll have to try turning it on when it's connected to the SCSI bus and see if it decides to come on then.Go to Top of Page

cory5412
68KMLA Comrade-in-Arms

USA
4679 Posts
Posted - 27 Apr 2003 :  21:18:28
hehehe...

working macs are great... I plan on finding some way to get macs or SOMETHING around here....

Official 68k videographer
Official MLA TourGuideGo to Top of Page

© 2001-2003 68kMLA

Go To Top Of Page

68k of the Week: kastegir's PowerBook 180.